Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on an rear sight adjustment tool that works on the PP series? (I've used a soft punch to move rear sights, but a punch does not lend itself to precision adjustments.) I usually just keep my rear sight centered over the signal pin hole, but such a tool would still find some use for me. Especially when I need to replace a damaged rear sight.

·
Super Moderator
7,468 Posts
Depenau, your options are a universal sight pusher (moderately expensive, and not necessarily 'universal') or a small brass drift.
The effort required varies; usually some sharp taps with a Lyman hammer will work, but a Colt Competition required the slide be captured in a leather jawed vise and some stiff raps on the drift with a machinist's hammer.
This method does lack precision; a vernier to check movement, or empirically see if you are satisfied with the results.
Moon
ETA-brass drifts are expendable.
M

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moon, will reluctantly use a small brass drift. My google searches indicate, as you note, the universal sight pushers are not cheap and also not a sure fit for the PP series. Early in my PP series collecting days, my impatience and heavy hand using a drift, caused me to clip a rear sight. Lots of water under the bridge since those days, so I'll give the drift another shot.

·
Super Moderator
7,468 Posts
Wow, how hard did you hit the sight, and with what?
Have had to whale pretty hard on some new sights to fit them; tend to err on the side of 'a little too tight' than the opposite.
I have a ShopFox bench vise, and leather jaws purchased from a shoemaker's leather supply. It really lets you secure the work without marking it.
Anyway, start out easy, and be patient.
Moon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
In my experience with Ranger and SW stainless steel pistols, the rear sight is easily chipped. A search of this forum suggests that common "rear sight" related posts are:
1. Questions on which direction to move sight to adjust point of impact.
2. Questions how to tighten a loose rear sight.
3. Questions on sources for replacing chipped/broken sights. (See the "Problem with sights on PPK stainless" post in this forum as an example.)

PS: I believe I chipped mine because my punch was too high and/or it was already compromised.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
In my experience with Ranger and SW stainless steel pistols, the rear sight is easily chipped.
For a brass punch to chip a steel sight I can only conclude that there was a problem with the heat treatment and the sight became too brittle. I would expect brass to chip glass but not steel.

·
Super Moderator
7,468 Posts
As regards tightening a loose rear sight, one accepted practice is to raise some bumps in the sight channel with a center punch; if staying with the 'modify the cheapest part', the same thing could be done to the sight itself.
A dose of Green (penetrating) Locktite should work as well, if the sight isn't excessively loose.
Sights should be removed right to left.
The rule of thumb on rear sights; "move it the direction you want the group to move".
Moon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts