Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Old new guy here with a question. This PP has no serial number on the slide. Some I've seen have a serial number there. Can anyone explain why some don't?
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
War time PP’s have the serial on the slide and frame but post war PP’s are seriled on the frame until the late 70’s when Walther stared with the slide serial again. Your PP was made in 1973.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
For various reasons some postwar PP pistols were never stamped with a s/n on the slide.

In your particular photo, however, the unusual location of proofs on the slide --including a second Ulm antler-- suggests that the slide is a replacement.

M

·
Registered
481 Posts
Given the importer stamp, your 1970s PP is likely a police surplus import, and by that serial it should have a serial number where the proofs on the slide are.

Mike’s suggestion of a replacement slide is the best explanation. The fact that the slide proof appears to have a different year code supports that.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
War time PP’s have the serial on the slide and frame but post war PP’s are seriled on the frame only.
This is true until the middle of the Sixties. All the later models carry the serial number (without suffix LR, A, S) on the slide too.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
It's a replacement slide as MGMike already suggested earlier. On an original 1973 slide we should see the "Made in W. Germany" under the Walther banner.

What about the date code? Is there a "II" between the eagle (nitro proof) and the antler (Ulm proof house)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am awaiting delivery of this pistol so I cannot make out the date code. I just bought it as a LNIB 1973 PP on GunBroker. I guess it will have no collector value. But would it have any inherent problems with the replacement slide, or are they pretty much interchangeable? If not a collectable could it be a good shooter?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Barring any issues with the gun, it will be a sweet shooter!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... I guess it will have no collector value. ...
I would not leap to that conclusion. It is, after all, an ex-police pistol that for some reason or another had the slide replaced, probably while it was still in service. It appears to be a legitimate repair, and while it is not the original slide I do not believe that this portion of its history is anything to detract terribly from its value. It's not a "high-end" collectible to begin with.

I believe the frame has been reblued, but then so were the majority of ex-police PP .32s. For that reason I would not have classified it as "LNIB", though most sellers wouldn't know the difference.

We had a thread some while back on Scandinavian police PPs that developed cracked slides and Walther provided replacements without loaded chamber indicators, but I've lost track of the details. Perhaps this gun is one of those? If so, it has an interesting history of its own.

It was imported by Century some time after 1996, when Walther --being foreign owned--forfeited Interarms' exclusive right to import goods trademarked with the Walther name and designations.

M

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well that makes me feel a lot better. I paid $550.00 and if it is a good shooter I guess it was worth it. Appreciate whatever further history on this you old timers can share. Especially interested in those date codes on it and other markings. When would the location of the "Made in West Germany" stamp place this slide?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
481 Posts
We had a thread some while back on Scandinavian police PPs that developed cracked slides and Walther provided replacements without loaded chamber indicators, but I've lost track of the details. Perhaps this gun is one of those?....

M
This is a reasonable guess. I see the same II as Balogh, and by 1988 no German police agency was still using or would have been replacing slides on a PP. Plus there’s the absence of any state property stamp on the frame (although a few states, most prominently NRW, ignored federal law and did not stamp most of their pistols until the P6).

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
MurrayNevada, please show us the photo of the slide with the proof stamps once more. Because of the recents adjustments by the admins, the quality of a newly uploaded photo should be much better than before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will put up new photos and probably do so in a new thread. Looks like you guys were right about the Denmark police replacement slides. I'll show pictures to confirm this and post some links to other threads concerning these PPs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts