Walther Forums banner

PP Serial Number Lookup

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Absalom 
#1 ·
Good evening,

I have a PP with an E. German, Suhl, Nitro Powder proof mark.

The serial number is 757791.

Based on what I can see it is a post 1950 weapon.

Is there any database which could narrow the year on manufacture down a bit?

And, in terms of value, is there anything potentially unique to this weapon?

Thank you all very much in advance for your help.

Regards,

P Cronin

#2 ·
It is probably an East German re-work. The 757791 serial makes it a very early, likely 1930, gun. The PPs actually manufactured at Suhl in the 1950s all are part of the 1001 series. But according to Dieter Marschall they refurbished pistols from across the entire PP production serial range, so if you‘ve got Suhl proofs with that serial, this is likely the explanation.

#5 ·
A side note about this weapon -

I was at the range about 20-25 years ago with this PP and on the second magazine the weapon went to full-automatic firing. Each subsequent magazine fired at full-auto!

I sent the pistol off to Inter-Arms for repair and they found a worn seer. Problem solved.

I must say though, the action performed flawlessly in full-auto that day. A testament to the design and engineering I suppose.

PC

#7 ·
I thought that too but the proof mark has a cross at the top. All the proofing sheets I've seen have that mark with just a vertical line.

And, the shape of the geometric figure below looks different as well.

But, everything I'm looking at has been copied many times and I may be losing something in translation.

Enjoying the historical journey however!

PC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.