Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I have a PP with an E. German, Suhl, Nitro Powder proof mark.

The serial number is 757791.

Based on what I can see it is a post 1950 weapon.

Is there any database which could narrow the year on manufacture down a bit?

And, in terms of value, is there anything potentially unique to this weapon?

Thank you all very much in advance for your help.

Regards,

P Cronin

·
Registered
567 Posts
It is probably an East German re-work. The 757791 serial makes it a very early, likely 1930, gun. The PPs actually manufactured at Suhl in the 1950s all are part of the 1001 series. But according to Dieter Marschall they refurbished pistols from across the entire PP production serial range, so if you‘ve got Suhl proofs with that serial, this is likely the explanation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A side note about this weapon -

I was at the range about 20-25 years ago with this PP and on the second magazine the weapon went to full-automatic firing. Each subsequent magazine fired at full-auto!

I sent the pistol off to Inter-Arms for repair and they found a worn seer. Problem solved.

I must say though, the action performed flawlessly in full-auto that day. A testament to the design and engineering I suppose.

PC

·
Registered
567 Posts
That crown/N isn‘t a post-war Suhl marking, but a standard pre-1940 commercial nitro proof which would be expected on this vintage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That crown/N isn‘t a post-war Suhl marking, but a standard pre-1940 commercial nitro proof which would be expected on this vintage.
I thought that too but the proof mark has a cross at the top. All the proofing sheets I've seen have that mark with just a vertical line.

And, the shape of the geometric figure below looks different as well.

But, everything I'm looking at has been copied many times and I may be losing something in translation.

Enjoying the historical journey however!

PC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If we've established this weapon as 1930s vintage - how would I best ascertain it's value?

PC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also - the serial number does not fall into the range of 1930 (7577xx) - and is outside of 1931 based upon this chart:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Those serials in the chart are not definite ranges, but just based on known specimen. So of course you have to extrapolate from those.

Somebody else will have to help with the value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those serials in the chart are not definite ranges, but just based on known specimen. So of course you have to extrapolate from those.

Somebody else will have to help with the value.
Thank you so much - what a great forum.

PC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts