Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I was thinking of buying my first PP and need some additional information. The weapon appears to be a wartime commercial model (possibly police issue) but it has what looks to be transitional "Weimar" type eagle N proofs. Has anyone ever seen this type of proof? Does anyone have any S/N ranges associated with year of production? The s/n info I have is 3617xx. I'm sorry to say I have no pictures available.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
Steve

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Welcome new member! The quickest way to tell is that all post war Walther pp's have a date code, usually on the barrel hood. Later ones have a two letter date code. War time and prewar did not have date codes. Without seeing a picture of the eagle over N proof it is hard to say. There also seems to be alot of E. German pp's around now. All of the West and East German pp's will have an importer stamp on them somewhere, or Interarms if they imported it.

As far as proofs go, the pre war up to about 1941 was a crown over N. after 41 it was an eagle with straight wings over N. Post war is an eagle with bent down wings over N.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the welcome & the information. Based on the info you provided it is probably an E-German PP. The wings on the proof were definitely pointing down. It was kind of confusing because it really looked like the Weimar type eagle you see on the occasional early Mauser k98's & lugers. I'm very glad I waited!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Your welcome. I think the E. Germans used any wartime, spare parts and even produced some PPs at the old Zella Mehlis factory. I have seen wartime slides on what looked like post war frames. Of course Walther did not start stamping the serial number on the slide until production started after the war, but the E German guns sometimes have a matching serial number that was stamped on the slide with a different font.

If it has an importer stamp other than Interarms, there is every possiblility it is an E German gun, but not always! There are alot of post war W German guns out there, but they will have Ulm, Do on them as the city of mfg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts