Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering but are all the new pp/ppk's I see made in the US junk?  How would I get a german one besides Earl's?  When were the last german one imported(besides earl's)?
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
The S&W made PPK and PPK/S have a bigger beaver tail. I personally think it is ugly, also they laser etch the lettering as opposed to rolled or stamped, which looks kind of cheesy, but beauty is in eye of beholder.

The Interarms made in USA Walthers (from years ago) get a lot of bad press, but the one I have seems to function just fine, so maybe they aren't all bad. Additionally, they are made very close to Walther spec in terms of appearance. You can still find them NIB occasionally at websites mentioned by Stainless. I don't doubt the German made Walthers are likely superior, at least a little, but you can't get the German made gun in stainless steel as far as I know.

·
Super Moderator
7,586 Posts
It is my impression that S&W dropped the odd beavertail.
Best,
Moon

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the opinions. Anymore more from anyone else?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you examine a Smith-built Walther along the machined lines of the pistol, you will quickly see that they do not pay enough attention to detail.

Curve radiuses that are not even, machining marks where there shouldn't be any, and the beavertail "improvement" they want to sell the handgun buying public.

This is farther from the original PPK and PPK/S design than even the Interarms product ever was. As a matter of fact, I would rather have an Interarms produced Walther than one manufactured by Smith and Wesson.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see. There are different generations with some variations. How are the ones assembled in France? How are they marked and from what years were they made?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The ones made, assembled, and marked "Manurhin" and "Made in France" are the same ones sold by Walther under the Walther banner until 1986 when Walther terminated The relationship.

Most, if not all Walther banner PP series were manufactured in France, while Walther concentrated on the P1, P5, and P88 production.

Slides and frames were shipped to Ulm for final assembly, roll marking, proofing, and finishing.

It is exactly the same pistol, though Manurhin's polishing of the metal was not quite as nice as Walther's

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks herr walther. It seems that I have many variations to chose from. I shot a friend's Interarms U.S. made ppk .32 in stainless reccently. I thought they only made ppks and not ppk?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interarms made PPK/S and PPK in blue and stainless and in .32 and .380.

WaltherUSA (S&W) now shows both PPK and PPK/S on their web site in stainless and blue. The PPK isn't available yet, but I understand that the PPK will start rolling off the S&W line around November. I keep hoping S&W will get serious about their Walther project. I'd like to see S&W offer a choice of either their new "improved" beavertail frame or the older classic one. Also like them to offer both guns with light weight alloy frames. And finally, would like them to offer both in .22LR. If they'd do all of this I think they would sell a bunch of pistols, especially if they keep the pistols reliable and keep quality control up.--Leigh

·
Registered
33 Posts
That explains why I have not seen a S&W PPK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts