Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few years, I have seen a few PP's in .22 LR. I've thought about getting one, but I'm just looking at the gun as a plinker. It's hard for me to look at paying $500 and up for a plinker, so I've always passed.

I figure someone here must have some experience with the PP in .22 LR. What are your thoughts of the gun in .22 LR? Is the gun, in this caliber, more suited to collectors than shooters?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't have a PP but I do have a PPK/S in .22 caliber. It's one of my favorite guns. It's quite accurate and is my MOST reliable .22 automatic. I bought it around 1983 and have fired thousands of rounds through it. Believe it or not, it has never failed to feed! My Ruger MK II Target is not as reliable although it's got better sights. It's a fun little gun and I have shot a lot of small game with it since I usually carry it during hunting season while hiking in the woods. They are expensive these days but in my opinion, well worth having. Mine was made in France and is a perfect little jewel. It's one gun I'll never get rid of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got two PP .22s and enjoy them both. Although they are
not target pistols I find them accurate enough for pop can and
chipmunk shooting, plus they are easy to carry or conceal.

A few years ago I had one that got stolen, so I looked for a
while before I found a replacement. Like you I didn't want to
pay $500+ but found a as new German one on GunsAmerica
and that's what I had to cough up.

A couple months later I was in a gun shop and spotted a well
used British contract .22 PP for $300 and ended up taking it
home. It is now my trail gun while the first one is a safe queen-investment pistol.

All I can say is you won't regret buying one, the value can only keep going up on these. When you get a chance hit gun
shows, gun and pawn shops, sooner or later you'll be at the right place at the right time and find a good deal on one.

My .02

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Thanks for the replies guys.

I saw one on GunsAmerica that was a British Contract pistol that the guy wants $500 for. However, I guess I'll just have to wait for the right pistol, at the right price. -Unfortunately, the gun shows in my area (Vegas) suck. They occur once every other month, they don't have a lot of dealers, they're expensive to attend ($15 admission) and, aside from the Class 3 stuff, the selection is generally poor.

-Because they're on the pricey side for attendance, I started putting my admission money aside for a new gun fund. I've missed seven shows and now I have $105 ear marked for my next purchase.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have four in .22, a Pre-War PP, a Wartime PP, a Pre-War PPK and a Wartime PPK and love them all. Much better accuracy than my Colt Huntsman and much less finicky about ammo or how many rounds are fired between cleanings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BreakerDave, you do have some expensive entertainment in your area. I'm in central Oregon, the little shows are 3 bucks to get in the door and the most I ever paid was 8 dollars for one of the big 1200 table shows in Portland.

I'm on a e-mail mailing list for a guy that sells used guns out of
a big pawn shop in Las Vegas. Beings you live there you might want to check it out, his prices seem reasonable. He also has a want list where you tell him what you want and if one comes in he'll give you a call.

Just click on- www.pawnplace.com

Go to the gun sales page then look for Glen's insider gun list.
He e-mails the list out before making the guns available to the
general public.

Might be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, I met/know Glen- I believe he carries a Stainless Steel PPK/S in .380. -He handled my transfer on an antique British Webley revolver in .455 (it's an obsolete caliber, 262 grain bullet). It was cool because he actually knew what it was and could appreciate it.

I didn't realize he had a list of pawn guns because, I've never seen any guns under glass there.

Regarding the gunshows' admission prices here, they're the worst of anywhere I have ever lived and I've been everywhere- (Well, almost.) I miss the WAC from when I lived in WA. They charged $6 for admission or $25 for a year's membership. There were two shows a month so there was a huge incentive to join. The brilliant thing about it was the media left the shows alone because only members could buy or sell guns and to become a member you had to have gone through and passed the NICS check.

Thanks for reminding me about Glen and letting me know about his lists.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My experience with the PPK/S .22 has been about like Ramoel's. It's a great little plinking gun that functions 100% as long as it is fed high velocity ammunition. While $500 might seem like a high price for a plinker, it is also a good investment - unlike a lot of cheaper handguns.  I bought my German-made gun back in the 1970's and it is worth a lot more now than I paid for it! With the Walther, you have the pleasure of owning and shooting a quality handgun plus knowing it will always be worth what you paid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts