Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a PP, no third letter. It came with 2 barrels, 32 and 38 and I am told, uses the same magazine? It has markings that I was told were for the ministry of justice, or something like that. Is there a PP specific forum not cluttered up with all the ones like the PPK and other variants, or is this too rare for a place of its own?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well if you just look around with the search function, you will find some info on your RJ marked Walther PP like this one.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/55122-walther-pp-help-por-favor.html

RJ for Reichs Justizministerium. Usually came in 7,65mm and I don't think the RJ guards and such would be switching barrels, so I don't know who told you the story about being equipped with two barrels. Not particularly rare. but this forum does include modern and pre-war Walther PP/PPKs and TP variants, so the subject list is crowded and not necessarily attuned to your interests.

Your might try this forum that specializes in the pre-war Walther PP/PPKs.
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/55122-walther-pp-help-por-favor.html

Reactions: jimisbell

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both barrels.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have both barrels.

Congratulations! But the gun was not issued with two barrels of different caliber. The 7.65mm barrel is mounted in the gun now? That is how it was issued to guards and those RJ officials authorized to carry a weapon. And you were sold the 9mmK barrel with it along with the story?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations! But the gun was not issued with two barrels of different caliber. The 7.65mm barrel is mounted in the gun now? That is how it was issued to guards and those RJ officials authorized to carry a weapon. And you were sold the 9mmK barrel with it along with the story?

No story, it just came to me that way. Where did the other barrel come from?

·
Registered
846 Posts
No story, it just came to me that way. Where did the other barrel come from?

"It came with 2 barrels, 32 and 38 and I am told, uses the same magazine?" This comment in your first post lead me to think that whoever sold you the gun and extra barrel provided a story that the RJ was issued with barrels that were interchangeable using the same magazine. Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment.

The prior owner could have bought a 9mm k barrel from a parts dealer. No problem. Years ago I replaced a bulged barrel on a pre-war PP myself. Not a particularly easy job without a workbench, vise and tools.

Did you find the links to the other RJ discussion interesting?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
"It came with 2 barrels, 32 and 38 and I am told, uses the same magazine?" This comment in your first post lead me to think that whoever sold you the gun and extra barrel provided a story that the RJ was issued with barrels that were interchangeable using the same magazine. Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment.

The prior owner could have bought a 9mm k barrel from a parts dealer. No problem. Years ago I replaced a bulged barrel on a pre-war PP myself. Not a particularly easy job without a workbench, vise and tools.

Did you find the links to the other RJ discussion interesting?

Actually the person that I got the gun from told me nothing. The person that said the magazine was interchangeable was later. Yes the referance was new to me. Thanks. But were you aware that both links were the same? Should the second one have been to another forum?

I have the tools as I am a gunsmith/manufacturer/dealer. (FFL 07)

·
Registered
846 Posts
You wrote you are a gunsmith and you had the tools....I thought you might see if the barrel exchange worked. Enjoy your RJ PP.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I havent looked at it yet but was told by the same source that said the magazine was interchangeable, that no modifications were needed. Just swap it out and maybe do some fitting on the 9mm Short barrel. Maybe I need better informants....LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no reason why. Nobody should/would change the caliber of any PP much less a collectible prewar gun. There is NO upside to such a mod.

The mod is completely reversible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In summation.

It’s a slightly rarer and interesting variant of the WWII PP.

The gun originally shipped, and was used, in .32 caliber.

Someone found, bought, traded for a spare barrel in .380 and, included it in the package.

Swapping out the barrel to .380 ruins its collector value and, serves no purpose. You could sell the gun as is and buy a nice .380 PP.

There may be a difference in the breechface necessitating a slide swap. (I honestly can’t remember)

There will be no value added by swapping the barrel. There will be value lost if it’s no longer in its original chambering or, the next collector sees marks of it having been rebatreled back to .32.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Swapping barrels in a PP is not like swapping barrels in a Glock. They are (press fitted... I think) into the frame. There was no intention for that pistol have interchangeable barrels, unlike say an HK 4. And even if that’s not an issue and you have the tools/skills to do so... you’d be ruining the value of the pistol.

If the 32 barrel is ok, I’d sell the 380 barrel and use the cash to buy 32 ammo :)

Reactions: ViperR

·
Registered
863 Posts
And the possibility of splitting the thin barrel shroud that is the frame when trying to install another barrel. Best to leave in 7.65mm and sell the .380 barrel and get some coins for ammo, mags, holster like stated above.
Take a close look at the shroud and see if it's ok. Possibly, the .380 tube was in it at one time and changed back. Look at the .380 barrel and see if there is a reamed channel on the beefy underside to see if it could have possibly been fitted/installed at one time. The channel will line up with the indexing pin if it's there.
Sell the .380 tube. Not worth the trouble and PP's were designed for 7.65 and sweet shooters at that.
Post a close up pic of the shroud and also the .380 barrel that is indexed in the shroud for us to see.
Sparking curiosity among (well, at least me).

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
All else the same, a .32 magazine will fit and function in a pistol with a .380 barrel, though the ejector/holdopen may not work. Other parts, however, are caliber-specific: the "spare" .380 barrel --if postwar, may not fit through the front hole of a .32 slide. Try it and see. And the .32 ejector and recoil spring are not suitable for .380.

In any case, the barrel in the PP-series is a press fit in the frame, and not intended to be removed except for replacement. Do it often enough, and you'll wind up with a wobbly barrel.

M

1 - 20 of 20 Posts