Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1968 PP in .380. Really nice pistol. However I am having a heck of a time getting ammo to cycle consistently.
Here is what I've used. Wolf (nickle case), CCI, and Magtech.

The accuracy is fine with all 3 three but I get lousy results with jams.

With CCI the slide does not go back into full battery at least once in 5.

With Wolf it does not exract/eject well.

The Magtech worked best and with good accuracy but still there were failure to eject problems.

Is it the pistol or the ammo...or both?

The pistol is a West German commercial piece that was one of the last to come into the US before the 1968 ban. There are no import marks and no official use stamps. It was a pistol to be sold into the American commercial market.

I am new to Walthers and I could use all the help I can get here.

Thanks,

Clement
Fort Myers

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
With any used pistol, especially one almost 40 years old, it pays to replace the recoil spring and the extractor spring too. Earl will do the extractor spring for you at no additional cost, and his spring prices are reasonable. Plus, you know you're getting OEM springs from him.

www.carlwalther.com

I do this with all used Walthers I purchase, and it seems to be a small price to pay for proper, safe operation.

HTH,
Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
Clement, I own a 1938 PPK in .32ACP. It jammed constantly with US made standard ammo like you described. My gun preforms flawlessly with Euro ammo which is hotter than US ammo; and, the gun was designed for hotter Euro ammo. Try Seller and Belloit or Fuji - do not use Wolf in anything unless its a loosey goosey toleranced Russian designed gun - it's extremely dirty ammo!
Try the hotter Euro ammo before you make changes to the gun. It certainly works on mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
He meant "Sellier & Bellot", he had his "i" dotted, but the "i" was in the wrong place. I don't shoot anything else, my .380 pp was brand new a couple of thousand shots ago, but I do have feeding problems: now and then, the round isn't pushed entirely into the chamber. I don't know what's stopping it, a little pressure with my thumb and in it goes. This ammo might not be hot enough either, since I have another problem now and then: the slide doesn't stay open after the last round. Both could be caused by the slide not going back far enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

I see the S&B, I was asking about the word "Fuji" at the end of his sentence...no matter.

I am going to explore both suggestions that came from folks responding. I am going to order some S&B .380...I have quite a bit of S&B in 9mm that I have no use for anymore (wish I could find someone to trade with me).

I am also going to order a couple of replacement springs from gunparts corp., and replace them. Shouldn't be a major problem to do.

My PP does the same thing as yours does, that is, the slide does not fully lock into battery on occasion. A quick push fixes it...but I don't want to have to do that. That may be from fatigued springs.

But rounds also fail to extract and that is another problem that may be under powered ammo or another spring issue.

It always holds open on the last round...not doing so is often a sign of a bad magazine.

I really like my pistol and I am going to work on it till I get it right. Walmart sells Remington and Winchester white box .380 ammo. I am going to give that a try too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The key thing is to use hotter than American made Euro ammo regardless of brand name or spelling! By the way, it's really hard for me to imagine how such intelligent and proper folks as yourselves can have ALL those gun problems!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh Yeah...if I were really smart I would sell all my handguns except my 1967 Colt 1911 and my Colt Single action army...neither of them ever, ever jams or misses if I shoot straight!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Try a new extractor spring and recoilspring. A light polish on feed ramp. (by hand no power tools. ) Lube good and shoot hotter ammo. This why I use S&B and Corbon for carry. My 2 PPK/S work every time This is a blow back. Friction is your enemy Springs ,polish, lube, and hotter Ammo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello,

OK. I've loaded the mag with Corbon (+P 90gr JHP) and ordered the springs. I've also ordered 250 rounds of S&B to see how it shoots. I will report back.

I have a box of Remington Golden Saber laying around too (102 gr JHP's). Any body have luck with this ammo?

PS: I've got 150 rounds of S&B 9mm I will trade for the same brand in .380...any takers??

·
Registered
42 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ghp @ Aug. 20 2006,10:18)]Both could be caused by the slide not going back far enough.
Or mag spring tension not lifting rounds or follower quickly or forcefully enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts