Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a .22 caliber PP with a safety lever issue. This is my first rimfire Walther PP. The date code is HI which puts it at 1978.

The safety lever will not rotate down. It doesn't appear that anything is broken. I took a Glock tool and moved the firing pin all the way forward and only then would the safety lever rotate down. Any suggestions on what the issue may be and how to fix it?

Premium Member
The first thing that I would do is remove the firing pin and safety lever for a visual inspection of the parts.

Here's a link to an American Rifleman article written by a former forum member that should help you with disassembly. I keep a hard copy printed out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I followed the instructions and, while I can move the safety lever as instructed, it will not come out. So I contacted Earl's for advice and will most likely end up sending the slide to him.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally was able to completely disassemble the slide, clean it, and fire a full mag. It fired & ejected without any issues but the safety lever will still not rotate to the "safe"position. Any suggestions on what the problem may be. I've called Earl's but there is no answer and he hasn't responded to my email.

Premium Member
You didn't see any burrs or anything that might be catching? Would the safety rotate in the slide with the firing pin removed?

They was a post recently that Earl had a medical emergency of some sort and was in the hospital.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't see any burrs or anything that might be catching? Would the safety rotate in the slide with the firing pin removed?

They was a post recently that Earl had a medical emergency of some sort and was in the hospital.
There were no burrs and the safety moved freely with the the firing pin removed.

Registered
Now try it with the FP removed and the extractor, plungers & spring installed. If it rotates correctly and properly clicks in both positions, then there is an issue with the locking end of the FP or safety drum. Maybe a burr. If it doesn't rotate, the issue is in the engagement between the plunger and drum.

Registered
On the extractor/safety area to make clear if that's where it's binding. Have to factor out the engagements to be clear. This is a step by step process removing parts little by little to determine. There is also the possibilty that the decock lever is binding or not proper. Remove that in your process as well while testing.
Oh, make sure your plungers are correctly placed. The pointed end at the drum. Step end (correctly) at the extractor.
Been working on the PP, PPK & PPK/s series for years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried all of that and disassembled & reassembled 3 or 4 times. I finally dropped it off at Gibbs Custom Gunsmithing to see if he can figure it out. I'll post the results when I get the pistol back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received a call from my gunsmith this morning telling me that my PP was fixed and ready to be picked up. It turns out that the internal portion of the safety lever was bent somehow. It's all fixed and works just fine. The turnaround time of 48 hours is impressive.

Font Parallel Paper Document Paper product
Font Parallel Paper Document Paper product

Premium Member
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear your PP was repaired so quickly. I'll have to keep Gibbs Custom on my list for the future.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you used their services before? How did they feel about taking on an old PP?
This was my first experience with them but they came highly recommended by several of my shooting buddies. I also checked out their Google reviews and was very impressed with what I saw. My PP was made in 1978 but I saw an old PP in their case for sale for $400.00 so I'm sure that they aren't new to the Walther PP series.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts