Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been offered a post WW2 P38. From the only photo which I have the serial number looks like #288802, which means that it was probably manufactured in about 1967. The slide is only marked "P38 9mm Para.", and "8802". There is no Walther banner on the slide. The frame is marked "288802". Both the slide and frame are marked with circle and dot. Has anyone come accross a post WW2 P38 without a Walther banner ?
Walther P38 #288802.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, I just communicated with the owner. This P38 only comes with the Walther case and instruction booklet : there is no box or test target. There are no proof marks or manufacturing date anywhere on the pistol. "N5" is stamped on the locking block below the barrel. "8802" is stamped on the barrel guides under the slide. Externally visible there is a circle and dot on the block under the barrel. The magazines are marked "P1". Does anyone have any ideas as to why this P38 has no name, date, or proof marks on it ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, I just communicated with the owner. This P38 only comes with the Walther case and instruction booklet : there is no box or test target. There are no proof marks or manufacturing date anywhere on the pistol. "N5" is stamped on the locking block below the barrel. "8802" is stamped on the barrel guides under the slide. Externally visible there is a circle and dot on the block under the barrel. The magazines are marked "P1". Does anyone have any ideas as to why this P38 has no name, date, or proof marks on it ?
According to Dieter Marschall's book, the South African police received the P38 between 1976 and 1992.
Dieter Marschall also states that the lettering for these post-war P 38s, which were exported to so-called problem countries (including South Africa), was only one line.
In addition, such P38s received no German proof marks and no year mark for the proof.
Seemingly the P38 you describe was delivered to South Africa before the deliveries to the South African police began in 1976 and therefore not only are missing the proof marks and the year but also the manufacturer's name due to the delivery to the then problematic country South Africa.
The "N 5" mark on the locking block is the hardness mark, since the locking blocks were investment castings until 1972.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It is a theoretical possibility, but this pistol’s serial number almost a decade before the South African shipments makes it a bit of a stretch without any other supporting indicators.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It would be interesting to read what Dieter Marschall has to say about this particular P38. :unsure:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be interesting to read what Dieter Marschall has to say about this particular P38. :unsure:
Hi, thank you for your input. The seller thinks that this P38 is very rare, and is asking double what P38s of this era normally fetch. I will wait for him to drop his price, and then decide if it is worth buying.
Regards,
Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts