Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...Just Picked up My 1st Walther P38, all original, with issued Leather holster, looks like an Original German Bundeswehr or Police issued Unit. made in 1958 by Walther. Ill post images & ser# on Monday 10/14 when I pick it up..Can anyone tell me about the history of these pieces, btw this piece was Made in Germany, not france, By Walther......Thanks in Advance....TMAlaska
p.s. Im assuming these are the Aluminum frame models...Ill check it out & report on that as well...

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think we best wait until you've posted the photos. Make sure you get clear shots in good light, showing all stampings, readable, on both sides, on frame and slide. They usually tell the story of the gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI ALL.....THANKS FOR READING MY QUESTION & YOUR HELP...I P/U THE P38 TODAY FROM THE SHOP, HERE'S THE PICS....IN DETAIL, WITH THE HOLSTER. I'D APPRECIATE YOUR HELP WITH ID' WHAT THIS IS...AS IN WHO WAS THIS MADE FOR AS ITS CLEARLY WALTHER MADE IN ULM/DO 1958.....THANKS FOR THE HELP...SGT T.MEAD ALASKA...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
POST WAR WALTHER (1958) P38 ID HELP

HI ALL.....Here's the images for the P38 that I picked up from the shop.
all the serial #'s match with a 1958 date & ULM/DO...Thanks In Advance for Your help....Sgt T. Mead- Alaska

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Looks like what you said it would be, a 1958 former Bundeswehr weapon. The barrel should have the same number on the side (covered by the slide). The rhombic marks (for example two on the face of the barrel) were the Bund acceptance inspection marks, or so I was told.

The holster looks to me like a Tokarev one.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Interesting pistol. As Matthanne says, it’s all consistent with an all-original 1958 P38 made for the Bundeswehr, complete with NATO supply number on the slide. The BW/Bw stamping did not start until about 1963. The eagle-with-drooping-wings stampings are the marks of the Güteprüfdienst (quality control) of the defense ministry.

The interesting thing is that this very early pistol has survived without any evidence of refurbishment, repair, or parts replacement. You don’t see that a lot with Bundeswehr issue pistols. It seems to have no markings other than the ones it got initially. I also see no import marks. Almost like it got “diverted” from duty at some point fairly early in its service career.

The holster does indeed not look like any issued German style. Also, since holsters were usually not issued with pistols, but as a separate process, there are likely few if any German ex-military pistols together with “their original” holster anyway, since such a thing doesn’t exist.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello. The 4 pointed star markings refer to updated & reinforced parts which may have been added as service parts during its service life.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Huh, that's pretty much what my post war P38 looks like. I'm going to have to check for that 4 pointed star when I get home though. Looks like you have an early 'thin' slide, since the slide serrations don't go past the safety lever cutout.

I know your gun is pre-1963, but I'm kind of surprised that there is no BW marking if this was a Bundeswehr sidearms. My P38 is dated 01/58, and has the BW markings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading these, I pulled out my P38 to review. I think mine was refurbed/modified/updated at some time. The numbers match, has a 7/63 date. For some reason all of the markings have been over punched with a circle with a dot in the center, and one has been over punched with an "X". Has anyone seen this before? Why would this be done?

·
Registered
43 Posts
looking at my records this may well have been produced for the Bundes Verteidigungs Ministerium (Army Defense Minisrty). The slide is marked on the RHS with the NATO computer log No. & month / year of production. The droop Eagle 165 is a combination military proof and acceptance stamp by the Materials Testing Agency, Federal Defense Ministry. Also the circle dot is the Walther factory stamp for pistols inspected to military & police standards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. There are no NATO numbers on the slide, and I don't see the droop eagle 165, unless this is what has been blocked out with the 'X'. Why, who would do this?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks for the info. There are no NATO numbers on the slide, and I don't see the droop eagle 165, unless this is what has been blocked out with the 'X'. Why, who would do this?
Don't get confused by comments about the OP's pistol.

The crossed-out BMI (for Bundesministerium des Innern = Federal Interior Ministry) identifies your gun as a police pistol, either border police or one of the state readiness forces supplied by the BMI. It was definitely not a military issue.

The BMI crossed out its stamp upon decommissioning as a matter of habit or regulations.

By the way, at least by your pictures I see no over stamping on the eagle quality control marks on the right. The circle with dot on slide and frame on the left is a Walther factory mark for service pistols.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts