Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent the past month trying to figure out how to establish a date of manufacture of a post war P38 and P1 pistols.

I have found several sources online, but things do not add up for me. For example, here is one source, a PDF:

http://p-38.info/pdf/Post-war_serial_number_data.pdf

My problem is, for example, the first year of manufacture, 1957, six digits are present for the serial number, but in that year any P38 pistols I see have only 5 digits.

It also says slides have different serial numbers than frames.

Anyway, my main problem is this and other charts with serial numbers are not cut and dry, not clear.

Does anybody have a source that gives me each year, and the serial number range for that specific year for the P38 post war guns? Or the P1 guns that are not reworks?

I know some guns have the date stamped on them, but I need a serial number source for P38's without that date stamp, and I need a source that makes sense.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don’t believe what you seek exists.

Dieter Marschall’s book has the general serial ranges, but I believe that’s as “definite” as it gets.

The document you posted is obviously just a small database where someone collected info on guns he came across. The rest is extrapolation.

There are likely others like that, but nothing official. If there is, I’d also like to know. Maybe we’ll find out here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts