Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New to the forums here!
I recently picked up this post war p38.

I was hoping someone could help me with the markings?

All 3 serials match...frame, slide, barrel.

Not sure if the "w 9.73" marking near the trigger guard is the date or not?

Any help with that and other small stamps would be great!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Your "P38" is a West German military P1 that was manufactured prior to 1963 when Walther began to produce P1 marked slides. There may be a manufacture date on the right side of the slide. In Germany the frame is replaced like any other repair part. For example, your P1 has a different frame now than when it was manufactured. My guess is it took too many hits from the locking block so they swapped it for a good one during the W9.73 rework... :)
The small numbers in the "droop eagle" stamps are assigned to individual inspectors in the Materials Testing Agency. You'll see these stamps on the frame, slide, and barrel of military P1's. The "Dot in Circle" is a Walther quality control mark for parts inspected to military/police specifications. The four pointed star on the take down lever is a Walther design change mark. That should cover most of the markings.

I'm not sure what you mean by trace the serial number. I'm sure the German military has a bunch of records on property transfers and maintenance work but I doubt they're available to curious P1 owners... ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Milspec!
Yeah, I was hoping to trace the serial number to find the year that is was manufactured.
Any idea on a site or book for that purpose? Unfortunately, the usual year stamp is not on the slide. :(
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.