Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a silly question but with so many people complaining how the extended beaver tail on the S&W PPK ruins the lines of the gun, has anyone looked into the possibility of grinding it down a bit? Or is it going to be hollow and unable to be done easily? Just wondering. Thanks if you know.

·
Super Moderator
9,925 Posts
It can be ground and recontoured. I believe we've had forum members report doing just that, and there's a company that does it as well — Cylinder & Slide, as I recall.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... is it going to be hollow and unable to be done easily?
Well, it's can't "be done easily" in any event. Not if you don't want it to look like it got chopped up in a lawn mower. Presumably you want it to look neat and harmonious. The job requires metalworking skill, the right tools, and some level of artistry.

M

·
Registered
632 Posts
I don't find the beaver tail as the primary issue when I shoot S&W made PPK's and PPK/S's, rather the sharp, unfinished edges of the frame under the beaver tail that cuts into my hands when shooting. Ironically it was added to stop slide bite (which I do not have a problem with on the original design) and on the newer models just makes shooting them uncomfortable for me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't find the beaver tail as the primary issue when I shoot S&W made PPK's and PPK/S's, rather the sharp, unfinished edges of the frame under the beaver tail that cuts into my hands when shooting. Ironically it was added to stop slide bite (which I do not have a problem with on the original design) and on the newer models just makes shooting them uncomfortable for me.
That actually was easy to take care of with a Dremel and patience on my S&W. Got cut first time using it. Softened the edges and no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
That actually was easy to take care of with a Dremel and patience on my S&W. Got cut first time using it. Softened the edges and no problem.
There is an unfortunate temptation to perform such modifications without bothering to strip the frame so that it can be properly fixtured so the cutting and polishing can be done accurately and without collateral damage. With distressing frequency this leads to finished jobs that only Bubba could love.

M

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Most of the folks who complain about the extended grip tang either already have an older model with the standard grip tang or would rather seek out an older model than go to the trouble/expense of having it ground down to match the specs of older models.
Besides, in addition to the grip tang extension being aesthetically displeasing, most express concerns over the supposedly diminished reliability of S&W-made models as well as the upcoming Fort Smith production, ergo the solution isn't necessarily quite so simple as reshaping the tang.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the extended grip tang, (it's the "fangs" on the front of the slide that bother me) especially since it allows me to grip my PPK/S just as I would any other pistol without having to worry about slide bite, and my particular model has functioned perfectly so far in spite of being a late production S&W model, so I'm not particularly concerned with reliability either, but if either was a concern then I would sooner seek out an older Ranger/Interarms or Manurhin PPK(/S) rather than a S&W which I would have to have aftermarket modifications made to in order to achieve the same level of aesthetic appeal.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'd be surprised at how little and lightly I had to just touch the sharp edges to round them off. More like a polishing job. That was years ago on the S&W and it looks unchanged. But feels much better. And been extremely reliable.

But the earlier ones look much better, you have to admit.

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
... The job requires metalworking skill, the right tools, and some level of artistry.

M
In particular, 'artistry'. If any putz could do it, Smith would have gotten it right. Or at least, more right.
Moon

Reactions: MGMike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Might be a silly question but with so many people complaining how the extended beaver tail on the S&W PPK ruins the lines of the gun, has anyone looked into the possibility of grinding it down a bit? Or is it going to be hollow and unable to be done easily? Just wondering. Thanks if you know.
If the beaver tail
Bothers you shooting many rounds try buying a rubber finger size small $1. Used for sorting stacks of paper. It slides on tightly. Made of rubber with tiny rubber bumps. Easy on Easy off

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
Tom, welcome aboard, and you can raise the dead. Quite an old thread.
My advice has always been to use a bike glove for range use.
Moon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts