Walther Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Technically, the parking lot of the post office is is already federal premises, so it doesn't make a difference whether you leave your piece in the car or bring it inside.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The parking for the public it is fine to have a firearm in your vehicle. The fenced in employee parking is another story. I’ve dealt quite a bit with Postal Inspectors and we’ve talked about employees with firearms in their vehicles. It is definitely a no no. They will even confiscate ammo if it’s found to be in an employee vehicle on the site. They’ve said it typically comes up due to one employee calling about another.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Or you could just do what I do....been kickboxing with an instructor every day for the last 5 months.

Now, before you laugh, my capabilities to defend myself have increased 1000%.

I would likely rely on my legs and arms first....and in much better shape now 🙂

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not sure about your state but in AZ every federal or state building that prohibits firearms has to provide secure storage and a check in process for your firearm. If they can't provide secure storage for your gun then they are violating state law and can be cited and sued.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Get in shape and learn to fight. Don’t laugh....it’s what I did. And I am being serious. If the average guy dropped the 40 lbs they need and gained some muscle, not only if it safer but tends to keep the creeps away. Bad guys look for soft targets. Don’t be soft.

And the live long and prosper

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Get in shape and learn to fight. Don’t laugh....it’s what I did. And I am being serious. If the average guy dropped the 40 lbs they need and gained some muscle, not only if it safer but tends to keep the creeps away. Bad guys look for soft targets. Don’t be soft.
True that bad guys look for soft targets, however, melee combat to resist is really only a sane choice for the victim if one is in very good health … and under the age of, say, 50.

Key to the age issue are things like joint problems, osteoporosis making bones brittle, the fact that muscle mass declines about 10% per decade (i.e. 1% per year) as part of the natural aging process after 50, etc -- making melee combat a non-starter for many (most?) folks half a century old (or older). And let's not forget how much our ability to heal slows down as we get older. That begins in one's 30's, but is VERY noticeable by mid-40's and beyond. The cut and bruise around your eye from fighting that took 1.5 weeks to heal up in your teens takes closer to 1.5 months in your 50's. :(

·
Registered
816 Posts

May be good advice for a couch potato.

Let's say someone is an elderly person with limitations such as heart condition.

Getting in shape to kick box or whatever is really not applicable.

OF Osoul have good advice in my opinion

What about pepper spray too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m 76 with an artificial right leg (Symes amputation ) below the knee. So I am expected to use a cane, however I do know escrima and also a third degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and
Kenpo. I am lucky nobody has tried to bug me yet. It all depends on how good of shape you are In and whether you have the abilities to protect yourself. I been quite fortunate in being able to keep myself in shape,.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

May be good advice for a couch potato.

Let's say someone is an elderly person with limitations such as heart condition.

Getting in shape to kick box or whatever is really not applicable.

OF Osoul have good advice in my opinion

What about pepper spray too.
True...old is old. But this country is a heart attack waiting to happen. People are fat lard potatoes. That’s not just an option it is backed by data. Oh...I was one too. I was lazy. Made excuses. But that’s all they are ....excuses.

I found it odd that people think they need a side arm to prevent something that in all likelihood will never happen, but yet, are out of shape and fat....and heart disease will definitely happen.

Logic and data is simple...yet healthy. Make healthy choices and you will live longer. Sure, you can tire on a car accident or get cancer. I burried a brother, a father and a daughter to that disease. Two of which were heart attacks waiting to happen.

650,000 people die of heart disease every year in the US. 30,000 die from guns. Of which 20,000 is from suicide and almost all of the remaining deaths are from criminal activity. Actual shootings such as the ones portrayed in the medial are almost statistically irrelevant.

Let’s say the number is 1,000. That means people are 650 times more likely to die from heart disease.

It’s not someone else with a gun you need to worry about, it’s the burger and beer on your plate.

Sorry for the rant....I just can’t balance the fact that we ignore the bear in the room as a society but get all up in arms over the need to carry. And ya no what, I am not afraid to say it either.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
True...old is old. But this country is a heart attack waiting to happen. People are fat lard potatoes. That’s not just an option it is backed by data. Oh...I was one too. I was lazy. Made excuses. But that’s all they are ....excuses.

I found it odd that people think they need a side arm to prevent something that in all likelihood will never happen, but yet, are out of shape and fat....and heart disease will definitely happen.

Logic and data is simple...yet healthy. Make healthy choices and you will live longer. Sure, you can tire on a car accident or get cancer. I burried a brother, a father and a daughter to that disease. Two of which were heart attacks waiting to happen.

650,000 people die of heart disease every year in the US. 30,000 die from guns. Of which 20,000 is from suicide and almost all of the remaining deaths are from criminal activity. Actual shootings such as the ones portrayed in the medial are almost statistically irrelevant.

Let’s say the number is 1,000. That means people are 650 times more likely to die from heart disease.

It’s not someone else with a gun you need to worry about, it’s the burger and beer on your plate.

Sorry for the rant....I just can’t balance the fact that we ignore the bear in the room as a society but get all up in arms over the need to carry. And ya no what, I am not afraid to say it either.
You, again, seem to assume that everyone CAN do something about it. At the age of 38 I was in amazing physical shape - could bench my weight, run a 7 minute mile, and was still wearing the same waist size I had at 18. I was close to 8% body fat, too -- so lean. Then, while stopped at a red light, a car plowed into mine -- and all of that changed in literally an instant. The bulging disks in my back and the pinched nerve prevent me from exercising like I once could. I now hover around 23-25% body fat -- which at my age, is on the high end of the 'healthy' scale -- and just under 'obese'. (The only reason I'm not in the obese range is because I watch my eating.)

You think I like this? No, I don't. I'll never be as fit as I was, able to lift what I could, run like I could, water ski, snow ski, or row. There are lots more like me out there, with various conditions that are not conducive to being 'fit'. In my case, it's irritating because when it happened I was VERY fit. With your critical attitude that fails to consider people's various conditions, you'd best hope nothing stops you from exercising, or you'll become what you apparently despise. On the other hand, maybe something like that needs to happen to you such that you stop erroneously assuming that just because you can go exercise … everyone else can.

I'm not sorry for the response rant, because I think it's asinine of you to assume that everyone can just go get fit. While many can … many also cannot -- for reasons beyond their own control.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

You, again, seem to assume that everyone CAN do something about it. At the age of 38 I was in amazing physical shape - could bench my weight, run a 7 minute mile, and was still wearing the same waist size I had at 18. I was close to 8% body fat, too -- so lean. Then, while stopped at a red light, a car plowed into mine -- and all of that changed in literally an instant. The bulging disks in my back and the pinched nerve prevent me from exercising like I once could. I now hover around 23-25% body fat -- which at my age, is on the high end of the 'healthy' scale -- and just under 'obese'. (The only reason I'm not in the obese range is because I watch my eating.)

You think I like this? No, I don't. I'll never be as fit as I was, able to lift what I could, run like I could, water ski, snow ski, or row. There are lots more like me out there, with various conditions that are not conducive to being 'fit'. In my case, it's irritating because when it happened I was VERY fit. With your critical attitude that fails to consider people's various conditions, you'd best hope nothing stops you from exercising, or you'll become what you apparently despise. On the other hand, maybe something like that needs to happen to you such that you stop erroneously assuming that just because you can go exercise … everyone else can.

I'm not sorry for the response rant, because I think it's asinine of you to assume that everyone can just go get fit. While many can … many also cannot -- for reasons beyond their own control.
Never did I ever say “everyone”. What I did say is the country is fat and lazy and getting worse. This isn’t opinion....it’s truth.

But I have heard it all. Excuses are just that....excuses. Most people use them. Some people have real medical issues and have to work within their limitations.

I am 52. My dad died at 65. My brother at 48. Buried a daughter at 18 months old (cancer). I have suffered from depression so bad I could barely function...nearly killed myself. If I can do it.....I think there are a lot others that can too.

I box with a guy who is 43. Has had three hip replacements already. He suffers from a bone disease and always has gout. He has lost 50 lbs and looks great...feels great....he is my wing man. Said he couldn’t do it either, just like I did.

We all have our stories and we all make our choices. Everyone is entitled to do that.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Surreal,
I understood the purpose of the thread was related to non firearm protective devices.

The off shoot about getting in shape really was not the intended purpose of the thread.

As we all get older we cannot physically perform like when we were younger.

Also some may have limitations even at a young age due to physical handicap etc.

There are mindset factors important to personal defense.

I like and recommend a brief paperback book authored by Jeff Cooper.

Principles of Personal Defense.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The most important defense tool in carry and non-carry locations is your brain. Teach yourself mental self-defense and situational awareness. Any good self defense instructor will teach this before any other tool. In an unarmed area a well tuned brain will save your life and the lives of others because you will be able to act before anything serious happens.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I will second earlier comments about the fundamental importance of situational awareness and learning to use the physical weapons that are always with you (yep, even naked in the shower). A great “concealed” weapon that is not restricted in any way is an ink pen. Offense or defense, there is a surprising amount that can be accomplished with just a little bit of training and practice.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I will just continue to carry my Walther PPQ SC and not go anywhere where I can't legally carry my weapon so that I can stay safe as possible and be able to defend myself.

I carried a CO2 air pistol the Walther's CPSport pistol before I finally broke down and bought my first real firearm pistol. I got the Walthers PPQ M2 4" 9mm firearm and then got a little Ruger Lc9s Pro 9 mm. Then I finally got the Walthers PPQ SC 9 mm

For all the reasons above I would not consider carrying a CO2 pistol unless I wanted to shoot at a squirrel in my blueberries without alarming the entire neighborhood with gun fire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting question.

So, the first thing I would say is this: If you are carrying TRULY concealed, and there is no metal detector/imaging device (like Courthouse or airports), why worry about the little sign? Yes, technically illegal, but if chance of getting caught is minimal, why worry about it? Yes, this is a controversial perspective, because we are “good guys” and good guys follow rules. However, consider what is safer for you and the community:
A. Getting out of your vehicle, removing your weapon, unloading it, securing it in the trunk/other secure storage, leaving it there out of your control for possible theft, and, if that doesn’t happen, reversing the process upon leaving the “safe space,” or

B. Keeping the gun out of sight completely and securely, going about your business (knowing this isn’t exactly the target-rich/helpless victim location any bad actor would assume), and then leaving without any gun retrieval/manipulation?​
If you are going to go some where that has a metal detector, I doubt you are going to get thru with a knife, let alone a co2 gun.

I think "B" is a good option,

At the court house in my county one has to go thru metal detector to get into any of the departments (building,tax etc) not just the court room.
One time when I went there I forgot I had a pocket knife on me.

The guard told me I could leave it out side or take it back to my veh.

I left it on top of the door frame out side until I got back(I am 6'9").
One other time my wife and I were on vacation and were going on a paddel boat ride in KY.

Upon getting to boat in large letters on the door "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED". As my car was a good 20 minute walk away, and I was carrying, we went on anyway.

Funny thing is there was a large group of police officers from Canada on board. We spent most of the trip talking with them and they gave me one of their department hat badges

21 - 39 of 39 Posts