Walther Forums banner

Poor fit of backstraps

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  walrus 
#1 ·
Has anyone else noticed the poor fit of the bottom part of the backstrap on the P99? The piece where the pin holds it together is not flush at all. I was hoping the largest backstrap would be better but it isn't a whole lot. The hard plastic of the handle sticks out too far and digs in my hand. I'm tempted to smooth it with some sanding paper but I thought I'd ask first if others saw this too. I don't remember feeling this on the models I've held.

The defect is somewhat visible on the attached image. Ok, make that the referenced image. Image was too large to attach.

See less See more
#2 ·
Noctournal, it's hard to tell from the photo, but if you are referring to the raised ridge going across the entire lateral (left to right) side of the gun, that goes away when you insert the magazine. Try slipping in a (empty) magazine, and take another look at it.

Now, if you're referring to some protrudance of the insert itself, check for 'flashing' or molding residue, on the backstrap to be sure it seats securely in the grip pocket.

#3 ·
Admin, I can tell the picture is not very clear. I'll update it tonight with an annotation where I feel the ridge. Both the backstrap and the handle itself appear well finished and show no flashing. I shot 50 rounds with the large backstrap today and it was a lot more comfortable than the default one but still it's not as smooth as I expected.

Thanks for responding!

#4 ·
I think he means the backstrap sits/recesses to far into the handle and that the the sharp lines of the handle cut into his fingers. This seems uncommon but who knows. Yeah, I would sand the edge down with several grits to make it look factory. Maybe even first shave it with an xacto knife but be careful!
Nocturnal, do you happen to be unlucky with other things?

#5 ·
Hey Walrus, yeah, you got it right. The backstrap falls too far into the handle. See the images below. Now that you mention it, I do tend to find problems like this. Maybe that is what makes me a good software QA engineer
Good thing at work, not so pleasant when you buy your own stuff!

I'll sand it down carefully. It's a shame to let such an otherwise very ergonomic grip be spoiled by this. But the manufacturing quality is not very good. Either the backstraps are too small or the hole is in the wrong spot (too far back).

#6 ·
wow, that is quite a bit! I would sayyou should try to fit in someone elses backstraps to see if the problem is in the gun or in the backstraps but you said all of your 3 fit the same. Also, look at the dowel pin hole. One side of it may not be drilled in the right location making backstrap twist andkick in and out.
Did you order this online?
Weigh the options. If you can and desire to do it yourself you save alot of hassle. Just be confident you can make it look good.

#9 ·
Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. I meant are you unlucky? First the mag and then the grip. These are problems you should not have irregardless of your being picky. Glad you like it despite your problems as it realy is a great gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.