Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Walther PP that I’ve been told was a police turn in but I’ve also heard that all the police turn ins have import marks and I’ve not been able to find any. Also can’t find what coat of arms was marked out. Definitely not Hesse.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
https://imgur.com/a/sgWsJc0

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I have a Walther PP that I’ve been told was a police turn in but I’ve also heard that all the police turn ins have import marks and I’ve not been able to find any. Also can’t find what coat of arms was marked out. Definitely not Hesse.
Appears to me to be Nordrhein-Westfalen state police (NW xxx).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Appears to me to be Nordrhein-Westfalen state police (NW xxx).
Indeed you are correct. It’s not often found on PPs.

The state marking was required by West German federal law around 1970, and most states went back and diligently stamped every pistol in inventory.

NRW seems to have hardly stamped any. Most PPs I’ve seen which, usually by box inscriptions, could be attributed to a city in NRW had no stamps.

That only changed with the P6, which to my knowledge was actually delivered factory-stamped with the NW; most surplus P6s on the US market are so marked.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Probably not there on a PP that entered the USA decades ago, like your pistol probably did, but I am seeing thoughtful importers like Simpson LTD. laser etch their (tiny) import mark on the base of the mag well where is doesn’t mess up the original appearance. There is not much worse to me than a poorly-executed importer’s mark (e.g., the old dot matrix CAI). I had a beautiful, commercial, LNIB PP Super with an obscure Arizona importer’s mark on the slide. It wasn’t a horrible font or anything like that, but it was not parallel to the top or bottom of the slide. I sold that pistol because of that crooked mark, I could just never get past it.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HTML:
Don’t complain, some collectors consider the lack of an importer’s mark desirable.
Oh , I’m not. I’m glad. I’m just asking because I was told that if it was a police it HAD to have import marks because they didn’t import any of the police surplus until after 68. Which I’m sure isn’t true

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
There are a few ways around commercial import, not counting illegal entry.

·
Registered
577 Posts
.....I’m just asking because I was told that if it was a police it HAD to have import marks because they didn’t import any of the police surplus until after 68. Which I’m sure isn’t true
There were indeed no NW (or ByP or Nds ...) stamped PPs imported until after 1968 since by that year they were not stamped yet.

But as GeoNole says, there are other ways to get here. Only commercial importers have to stamp their guns. Any private import, by an immigrant from Europe or a returning US service member, for example, would not require any stamping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts