Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shooting left and low with federal 115gr JRN. Same ammo shoot dead center with my PPQ. Got 100+ rounds through it. Drifted the rear sight to the right a bit, but have not shot to confirm. Also ordered a lower front sight,(backorder for 2 to 4 weeks), wont be able to test that for a bit. I am aware of the POA sight picture difference of the 6 o'clock and the euro method of the dot covering the target center. I have always used the latter when shooting pistols. Still shoots low by 2-3 inches at 10 yards. Anyone else shooting low and left? I have not shot from a rest. Standing only.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Low and left shooting is the shooter, not the firearm. You are jerking the trigger. Let somebody else shoot it just to confirm. Seldom will you ever have to adjust factory sights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agree - low and left is trigger. Concentrate on pulling straight back instead of an "arc" which is easier with the PPS because of the slim grip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree - low and left is trigger. Concentrate on pulling straight back instead of an "arc" which is easier with the PPS because of the slim grip
I also considered the slim grip being a factor, however my LC9 and even my slimmer P3AT both track true, but that's not to say its still not a factor.
Shooter error was my initial thought, but my father experienced same POA. Not that it still cant be the issue, but it seems consistent low and left for both shooters. I have a friend who just got a PPS and I hope to shoot it soon to see if I shoot the same way with hers. Also will let her try mine. She is really good and if she is dead on then It for sure is both me and my Dad who are in error. I thought ammo could be possible due to a shorter barrel it will naturally want to shoot lower with the lighter 115gr bullet than my PPQ. Tracking to the left would indicate a Trigger pull issue and or a trigger finger placement issue. If I notice a tracking to the left I usually correct by using only the front pad of my finger to pull the trigger. This will usually bring the tracking back to the right. Not the case for me or my father. A third shooter might help me confirm if its sight related or technique related. Was just wondering if others have had similar low and left tracking POA issues. I did read one review that had a left POA and corrected it with drifting the sight to the right and all shooters he lent the gun to had good POA with no issues after his adjustments.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also shot left and low (not much, maybe 1.5 inches at 21 ft) initially. Straight trigger pulls puts me on center. Also, this little gem seems to fire better "Euro style" with front sight OVER target, rather then just under the front sight blade. Just my experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've run a number of threads on this phenomonon with the PPS here; I'd suggest that you run a search and see what you can spot.
... are a random sampling. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the links. I did a search and came up empty. must not have used the right key words. Thanks Ill check em out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also shot left and low (not much, maybe 1.5 inches at 21 ft) initially. Straight trigger pulls puts me on center. Also, this little gem seems to fire better "Euro style" with front sight OVER target, rather then just under the front sight blade. Just my experience.
Big yep on the Euro style. That's how I shoot all pistols. Rifles on the other hand I shoot using the classic US standard 6 o'clock.
Sounds like it may be common and a combination of training and a slight rear sight adjustment. I appreciate all the impute. It is most helpful.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
It's not the gun but you causing it to shoot left & low. You "pull" the trigger, not "press" as you would a button. By pulling the trigger, you have a natural tendency to squeeze the trigger ALONG WITH THE GRIP. This causes the hand to twist to the left & drop slightly. Grab any solid object & give it a squeeze. Watch your hand move! If you were a left hand shooter, the shots would go low & right!!

Dry fire is your friend. Put in an empty mag with a snap cap just because (you don't really need one) and a thousand trigger presses, you'll learn NOT to squeeze or pull the trigger but to press it straight back. No charge for the lesson!

·
Registered
119 Posts
+1 with M_E_. Works every time. I know be cause I often struggle with it as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update

All great advice. Thank you. Attached a tactical forward grip with a bi-pod to the rail and shot from a bench to eliminate as much of the human error as possible. Shot the black diamond out of the bulls eye at 15 yards. One big hole! Gun is perfect! Shooter error confirmed! Paying attention to my trigger technique I was able to shoot a nice 2 inch group at 10 yards from a standing off hand position. The PPS for sure has more of a learning curve then I am used to, however I'm on my way to mastering it. Not there yet, but now both Dad and I can shoot this gem with fair accuracy. I put the large back strap on and even though I hate how it feels, it definitely improved my shooting ability. It also decreased felt recoil. So, big back strap it is! Went to the steel falling plates and can knock em down at 20 yards all day. 6" round plates. I'm very happy with the improved results and will continue to focus on trigger technique. Its not a easy pistol to shoot well, but if I do my part the gun is crazy accurate! All In all, it will most likely train some bad habits out of me that is less apparent with other guns I already shoot well. My PPQ is a dream! I can have a conversation, drink tea, send a text and still stay on target!:D The PPS actually makes me focus on what i'm doing. I think I love the PPS most just because it does make me work to maintain proper technique. The PPQ is like the easy girl down the street, Fast and lots of fun, but its the PPS you bring home to meet the folks.:p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm a lefty and shoot low-right with my PPS 9mm. It's become less and less pronounced with every subsequent shooting trip, and I'm still very happy with my new pistol. The trigger can be a bit snappy perhaps. Which, even though I generally hear great reviews on the PPS trigger once it's completely broken in (which mine is probably not yet), I still have trouble comparing the partially-cocked, Glock-style triggers to my P99 AS's amazing single-action pull.

Guess I'll be working on my trigger finger fundamentals.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The low & left for a righty & low & right for a lefty is normal for this pistol. It all has to do with the narrow grip. You have a hard time hanging on to the pistol so you squeeze the gun as you press the trigger.

·
Registered
114 Posts
def trigger pull and possible anticipation pps trigger out of the box is tricky I was low and left shooter as well, though it was the gun then my instructor put 3-4 through the X with it, after some drills and trigger press work bammm! slow fire is through the X every time :) get some quality training would be my advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
def trigger pull and possible anticipation pps trigger out of the box is tricky I was low and left shooter as well, though it was the gun then my instructor put 3-4 through the X with it, after some drills and trigger press work bammm! slow fire is through the X every time :) get some quality training would be my advice.
Been there, done that. I'm good. The charts listed in this thread did the trick. I run speed drills 3X a week. At 7 yards double taps in three targets, dump mag, another set of double taps in all three targets. High stress and all shots in center mass. I just point and shoot. Gun runs nice! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts