Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up today from my FFL...
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Looks to be a later SW99 and apparently an LE trade-in. Seems to be in good shape; WAY more external wear than internal. You can see that the body side is in very nice shape, but...
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

the outside (holstered for an right-hander) has a lot of scratches, I'd bet from seatbelt buckle.

It makes a nice addition to go with my Magnum Research MR9.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's not marked for an agency and the seller didn't specify. Besides the marks from seated holster wear, it has the metal tritium sights (long since dead), and the 16 rd mag marked with "Law Enforcement use only" as well. The markings on the barrel is a bit unusual though. It has "9mm" stamped on the hood of the barrel and the side "DWJ Glasgow KY" on it, which appears to be the importer. So, that part is a bit of a mystery.

Registered
If they're still in business you could try contacting them and asking where it came from. I've never been successful in this but you might get lucky.
They're still in business, I bought a few things from them recently including a comp'd Jericho 941 and an early Bul 2011. These guns are almost always from Israel.

Registered
It is strange that a pistol made/assembled in the US would have an import marking. Unless it was exported and then imported again, I don't see why it would, but I haven't heard of any SW99 pistols that were exported.

I've been told that the SW99 had two different barrel designs for the 9mm model. One with a barrel that was upsized at the muzzle end to fit into a .40 sized opening in the slide, and a later design that was the same diameter from the muzzle to the chamber. If this is an early model barrel, I have a few questions for you. Can you take a picture of the barrel from the side so I can see if this is one of the earlier models?

Premium Member
It is strange that a pistol made/assembled in the US would have an import marking. Unless it was exported and then imported again
I have MANY guns in my collection that have gone on that very journey. It happens more often than you might realize.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is strange that a pistol made/assembled in the US would have an import marking. Unless it was exported and then imported again, I don't see why it would, but I haven't heard of any SW99 pistols that were exported.

I've been told that the SW99 had two different barrel designs for the 9mm model. One with a barrel that was upsized at the muzzle end to fit into a .40 sized opening in the slide, and a later design that was the same diameter from the muzzle to the chamber. If this is an early model barrel, I have a few questions for you. Can you take a picture of the barrel from the side so I can see if this is one of the earlier models?
I don't think that my SW99 has "Import" markings. It just has the normal Smith & Wesson roll marks on the slide and the Walther "Frame made in Germany" on the frame. It's just the unusual DWJ markings on the barrel which is unlike normal guns, as if the barrel has been replaced.

Mine is one that has the bigger end on the barrel. I was thinking that they might have done this so they could use the same slide as the 40S&W version. So I put it in my P99AS 40S&W slide to check. That didn't turn out to be the case. There was a gap all the way around the barrel and the hole at the end of the slide. Also, the 40S&W barrel would fit in the SW99 slide. The milled out channel was too narrow for it.

It's a mystery to me. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them.

Registered
I have MANY guns in my collection that have gone on that very journey. It happens more often than you might realize.
Yes but it is strange to see on an SW99. I'm not saying that it has never happened, but I don't remember ever hearing of one being exported anywhere.

I don't think that my SW99 has "Import" markings. It just has the normal Smith & Wesson roll marks on the slide and the Walther "Frame made in Germany" on the frame. It's just the unusual DWJ markings on the barrel which is unlike normal guns, as if the barrel has been replaced.
Are you saying that you believe that DWJ manufactured this barrel? I'm also unsure why they would put that marking on that barrel. Does this outfit have a reputation for marking pistols or parts that go through their hands? I've never once heard of this outfit before, so I'm curious what exactly they do.

Mine is one that has the bigger end on the barrel. I was thinking that they might have done this so they could use the same slide as the 40S&W version. So I put it in my P99AS 40S&W slide to check. That didn't turn out to be the case. There was a gap all the way around the barrel and the hole at the end of the slide. Also, the 40S&W barrel would fit in the SW99 slide. The milled out channel was too narrow for it.

It's a mystery to me. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them.
Thank you so much for those pictures and this explanation.

I've heard it discussed in the past, years ago, that the early 9mm SW99 barrels were made to fit in the "through-hole" of the .40 slide, but I've always wondered if this was the case, and why. It makes sense that the .40 barrel would not fit into the 9mm slide due to the narrower 9mm breechface, and the fact that the .40 barrel hood would be too wide to fit.

It would be interesting to see if the muzzle of this 9mm barrel would fit tightly in a .40 SW99 slide. It seems like S&W was not against coming up with their own design and measurements in regard to the slide and barrel compared to the Walther, with the obvious differences on the slides and barrels, and the fact that S&W used stainless steel whereas Walther used carbon steel. There must be a reason why S&W did that to the muzzle end of the 9mm barrel, and I've been curious as to why ever since I've heard of them doing so. The SW99 was released after they were sued by Glock for the S&W Sigma, and before the M&P had been designed. This was their duty pistol for agency contracts at the time, and I'd imagine that they were focused on the .40 model first and foremost, with the 9mm being designed as somewhat of an afterthought. It is interesting (to me at least), if nothing else.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes but it is strange to see on an SW99. I'm not saying that it has never happened, but I don't remember ever hearing of one being exported anywhere.

Are you saying that you believe that DWJ manufactured this barrel? I'm also unsure why they would put that marking on that barrel. Does this outfit have a reputation for marking pistols or parts that go through their hands? I've never once heard of this outfit before, so I'm curious what exactly they do.

Thank you so much for those pictures and this explanation.

I've heard it discussed in the past, years ago, that the early 9mm SW99 barrels were made to fit in the "through-hole" of the .40 slide, but I've always wondered if this was the case, and why. It makes sense that the .40 barrel would not fit into the 9mm slide due to the narrower 9mm breechface, and the fact that the .40 barrel hood would be too wide to fit.

It would be interesting to see if the muzzle of this 9mm barrel would fit tightly in a .40 SW99 slide. It seems like S&W was not against coming up with their own design and measurements in regard to the slide and barrel compared to the Walther, with the obvious differences on the slides and barrels, and the fact that S&W used stainless steel whereas Walther used carbon steel. There must be a reason why S&W did that to the muzzle end of the 9mm barrel, and I've been curious as to why ever since I've heard of them doing so. The SW99 was released after they were sued by Glock for the S&W Sigma, and before the M&P had been designed. This was their duty pistol for agency contracts at the time, and I'd imagine that they were focused on the .40 model first and foremost, with the 9mm being designed as somewhat of an afterthought. It is interesting (to me at least), if nothing else.
I've got no idea about DWJ. Like you, I had never heard of these guys till this gun, although I'll have to say that I'm not terribly active in the collecting side of things until recently. As far as that barrel is concerned though, it's just a "feel" thing. I just don't get the sense that, that barrel is original to the gun. It doesn't look like a factory barrel from a major manufacturer.

My feeling (absolutely, this is just an unsupported opinion) about Smith & Wesson and their line-up as related to Glock and Walther goes like this: if you look at the time-line my sense of things is that S&W was in a situation where they were behind the curve as Glock started taking over the autoloader market (both LEO and commercial) and they felt that they needed to make a move. That accounts for the Sigma, then they lose the lawsuit and need a plan "B" pretty badly. Which leads them to the partnership with Walther (who at the time as struggling financially before the Umarex buyout). My sense is that after several years of partnering with Walther for a few years, they learned enough from the P99, PPS, that they were able to get the M&P and Shield on the boards as a Glock fighter.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd assume that most of that is correct, except that Umarex purchased Walther three years before the P99 was released.
Thanks for correcting that. I'd bet that back in those days, Umarex didn't have the financial and marketing chops they did 10 years down the road! I'm not accusing S&W of anything that anyone else in the industry routinely does. The P99 itself has any number of features rooted in Glock design, but the it sure has been copied a lot in the last 20+ years.

Registered
Absolutely. Everyone is copying everyone these days, and the main designer of the P99 was Horst Vesp, who also worked for Glock and Steyr before working for Walther. He made some very unique designs over the years that are still with us today, including every pistol that evolved from the P99.

Registered
I've got no idea about DWJ. Like you, I had never heard of these guys till this gun, although I'll have to say that I'm not terribly active in the collecting side of things until recently. As far as that barrel is concerned though, it's just a "feel" thing. I just don't get the sense that, that barrel is original to the gun. It doesn't look like a factory barrel from a major manufacturer.
It looks exactly like every other SW99 barrel. There's a bunch of Israeli trade in SW99s floating around right now.

Registered
I'll give contacting them a try. My interested has been peaked by the barrel. It gives me a sense that it wasn't the original one for this gun. The bore is very clean and sharp, like it's new.
These guns aren't fired all that much. I've got an '04 Police trade in H&K USP Compact 9mm that looks new on the inside, including the barrel.

Registered
It looks exactly like every other SW99 barrel.
I've seen a few SW99 barrels in person, and none had the larger diameter tapered muzzle end. Other than that, and the marking on the slide of the barrel, it does look like every other.

There's a bunch of Israeli trade in SW99s floating around right now.
This is news to me as this is the first time I've heard of anyone exporting/importing SW99 pistols. Good to know though. Are they all only coming through one importer? What import markings are you seeing on these pistols?

This may mean that the marking on the barrel is in fact an import marking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grey Rectangle Font Flooring Road surface

Font Bumper Wall Automotive exterior Asphalt

So, here are the only markings on the barrel. They aren't like any markings that I've seen. Also, since it's the only place on the gun anywhere that there are markings other than S&W or Walther, I'm not certain that it's imported. I believe that anything after '68 requires importer markings such as Interarms, Smith & Wesson etc.

However, looking at the DWJ inventory does indicate that they have quite a few guns imported from Israel, but there seems to be some that aren't imported either. I will say that they have quite an interesting group for sale.

As far as the shape of the barrel is concerned, I have seen pictures of them for the SW99 that are "belled" at the muzzle end, just none marked the way mine is, with the seller's company and location.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts