Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Originally Posted by plinkerdad

Just bought a P22 05/14/11. After a quick rubdown from the salesman @ Sportsman's Warehouse he felt it was perfectly safe to take it to the range w/ my 9 yr. old son. I purchased 200 CCI mini mags for the initial trail. Within the first 100 rounds I had at least 25 fail to fires, several fail to loads. Not a good day for my son, after a couple of FTFs, I did not feel it was safe for him to shoot. I plan on trying some CCI stingers for break-in. I've been reading about these problems for years (7+) and still seems to be an issue. Am I jumping the (gun) to soon w/o adequate break-in? I spent $350 bucks just to have my son feel like his first gun is a piece of sh**!

A P22 can be made very reliable. How reliable?????, clean and lube and it will go over 2,500 rounds without cleaning or lubing and with no failure on the gun's part. That should be reliable enough for any plinker.

Next, all P22s are 98 percent the same, 2003 model to 2011 model. You just get one mag now instead of two. Somewhere I outlined all the little changes over the years in one of the threads here. I personally don't take any firearm to the range or the woods until I have cleaned and lubed it lightly. Did you hurt anything, no. Does Walther expect the pistol to work right out of the box without any modification...yes. Some do, some don't but for the most part they are all about the same. There is no such thing as a model 1 P22 or a 2nd generation. I don't know where that talk came from. The only thing really new is the P22Q and it isn't really new, just a new grip style and some external changes to the slide serrations, etc. The guts of the pistol are the same. And to the best of my knowledge the only part on the pistol that can do any damage is still sharp trigger bar ears. Everything else that might be wrong and need a little attention is just in the aggravating category.

The P22 has specific problems and has had from day one. To correct them they need to be addressed one at a time. Beginning with the magazine. In any semi auto anything.....the magazine must perform flawlessly or the firearm won't. One full of grease or not cleaned and properly lubed is just looking for a reason to act up. Still, a dirty chamber that won't let a round fully seat will cause light strikes and the tip on the hammer still will hang up the slide until you round it a bit. Some things just haven't changed.

Now, having said all of that.....I am concerned about those failure to fires. The reason is we have studied long and hard on a similar situation with two pistols over at RimFireCentral. I have not been able to offer enough insight to solve the problems on two new pistols and don't know exactly what is going on. Both have DA problems and both are failing to fire properly and both are showing light strikes or no strikes. On these if you push up on the mag all the way they are more reliable. Now that would seem to indicate a problem with the mag catch, the magazine catch tabs, the mag safety foot, the trigger/bar or trigger/bar spring.....or a timing issue....or something. There is only so much you can do over the net.....after that the pistol needs to go to S&W for a free fix.

The ammo you have used is not suspect plinkerdad. That is first rate stuff. You don't need anything more powerful. I'd suggest cleaning the pistol, remove the slide, learn to put it back on with the plastic guide rod inserted through the muzzle end and recoil spring. Makes it really easy. Takes 5 seconds. Make sure the barrel nut is tight. I've detailed how I clean and lube mine in a recent thread here. Here is a link to "All the mods for a P22" I put together for an 09 pistol. No, you shouldn't have to smooth up a new pistol but from a lot of experience with these I can tell you it will help. So will more shooting and especially cleaning and lubing. Some folks don't report any problems with a stock pistol.......but I have never been able to get my hands on one. You might read this and then we can see if we can get that pistol in shootin order..... M1911

I'll go find that link and come back with it...?????? I've been know to be quite capable of loosing a post and not being able to find it again........ Back.....couldn't quite find the one I was looking for but here is a link to 6 or 8 threads on various stuff. A complete mod thread in there, some history, some other stuff. Don't get overwhelmed....this stuff is easy. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257329

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can clean one up for a FAQ, add the history of small changes over the years, etc. if you like Searcher. This one is a little windy. :p There is a lot of stuff on the P22 that I have done but it really isn't overwhelming and owners don't need to do everything to have a reliable pistol. I've just played around with about everything that can be done....like widening one end of the recoil spring so you don't have to center the spring on the hole in the muzzle cup so that the guide rod can go through. I mean, who worries about that kind of stuff. It has been a fun pistol to work on. I don't mind bringing over some of the threads I've developed and putting them in the Walther Forum without the RFC link if you like. The P22 is a plinker, a trainer, the digital camera of .22 pistols. It is not an heirloom firearm and neither can the defects be written off because it is a cheap pistol....$300 plus is not cheap or inexpensive in my opinion. $300 is $300 Rugers and Brownings are fine pistols......but they simply have very little in common with the P22 concept. Does Walther need to address a few more issues. In my opinion they do and then they would have a 100% pistol.

Some folks get aggravated about having purchased a pistol that needs some work. I don't fault them but can tell everyone that if you read through all of the gun Forums it is rare to find a firearm that can't be made to function better with some TLC and nearly all firearms have a pretty large group of folks who are polishing the feed ramps, changing the sights, replacing trigger groups, smoothing up machine marks, changing recoil springs, etc. So, at least the P22 can be sorted out and if not S&W will fix you up. I have not seen any limit to the warranty, new, used, modded or not. Some folks who have had a worn out pistol have received a new one under warranty.

I have had really good customer service from S&W, always call, don't e-mail, call the 800#, S&W.....not Walther, don't e-mail Walther. S&W customer service is the first stop. Be polite, explain the problem and let them know what you need to make you happy. If you get someone who doesn't seem to know anything about the pistol, ask for someone who does. If you post a thread here with pictures and discussion illustrating the issues, the Reps can log on and have a look. This is one reason forums like WaltherForums.com are excellent resources for illuminating the issues and getting help. Issues with the P22 have been well documented as well as what to do about most. M1911

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That would be great, 1917. Anyway you want to handle it is fine -- just let us know. You have provided, and continue to provide, a great service for all P22 owners, both here and on the RimfireCentral site, and we are all in your debt. :) Holler when ready.

·
Registered
212 Posts
To me, it would not be as much fun to have a "perfect" pistol. Most of the fun of owning most stuff is being able to try to improve it. That is, for most of us that haven't completely grown up. :)

Also what better way to get to know your P22? After all, to get to know your P22 is to love it. And I do.

I just finished this morning polishing and dry lubing just about everything that has to do with the trigger pull. If I had to guess, it would be in the high 2s, maybe 3. It is just getting sweeter and sweeter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
P22 Issues?

Quick update,
Lubed/cleaned the barrel and feed ramp w/ Tri-flow lubricant. Back to the range w/50 CCI Stingers--dumped all 50 no problems. Then ran 200 CCI mini mags w/ 2 fail to feed during the end. Lesson learned, clean your gun.

·
Registered
503 Posts
While I am happy for you that the pistol is shooting better, I must admit I was looking forward to the detailed discussions, M1911's prognosis, and subsequent surgery/post op update!

·
Registered
212 Posts
That is what I was trying to find out in my unsuccessful "P22 failures vs lub". With preclean and lub before first shot is fired, most problems with later model P22s would probably disappear. It seems from this forum that guys that have had no problems or failures with their new P22 cleaned and relubed them, or at least cleaned them. After all, the P22s are shipped from Germany, so they are going to make sure the P22s are in good shape when they get here, even if they come over by boat by well greasing them. They, the Germans, probably assumed that the P22s would be cleaned before being fired. I am somewhat surprised at gun dealers who do not preclean them for their customers who do not have a lot of experience with handguns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was part my point. When I took possession of the gun from the store it was not gunked up. Please understand, my cleaning/lubing took all of 20 minutes. The suppose professional assured me it was good to go. I do think the CCI stingers were good to run through first, due to their shape. Also, giving the mag a couple of whacks on the back before loading (as per manufacturer) seems to help line them up in the mag. Since when should the Germans assume anything about Americans? (OH, just a joke!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy folks. First post. :)

I just picked up a new P22 today, ~1/11 build according to the spent round envelope. Looking forward to some range time tomorrow.

This is my fourth handgun, with the rest of my collection being a Sig P220 ('94), an HK USP9 ('95), and a Glock 27 ('96). This is the first handgun I've bought in 15 years, as I now have plenty of time to shoot and I didn't realize larger caliber ammo got so damn expensive in the past decade. :mad:

Anyway, I'm trying to work through my due diligence. I've broken her down, ran some Hoppes 9 through the barrel (thoughts?), cleaned/lubed with Break-Free CLP (again - thoughts?), and learned that it's a heckuva lot easier to get the slide back on by using the handy guide rod for the spring! :p

I picked up 100-count of the CCI mini-mags, but I may swing back by the store and get some Stingers to run through first.

I apologize for not having read through much of the forum yet. I'm just getting my feet wet with the P22. I'll be stopping back frequently for any tinkering tips. Thanks for all the great info!

If there are any noob tips that you can impart to me before first shot tomorrow I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Start here:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-p22/10259-vital-information-all-p22-owners.html

It will give you a good indication of just about everything you'll need to know to have some luck with the P22.

Welcome to the forum, by the way -- and thanks for your service.
Very helpful. Thumbs up! Thanks.

This nugget was exactly what I was looking for for my initial clean and lube: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-p22/10259-vital-information-all-p22-owners-2.html#post111038

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick after-action: I put the first 200 rounds through today (100 stinger/100 mini-mags) with no failures. Fun gun to shoot. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick update,
Lubed/cleaned the barrel and feed ramp w/ Tri-flow lubricant. Back to the range w/50 CCI Stingers--dumped all 50 no problems. Then ran 200 CCI mini mags w/ 2 fail to feed during the end. Lesson learned, clean your gun.
I had the same problem as you my first time with my p22 this weekend. It went through about 50 rounds and then would fail to fire almost every other time. After I cleaned it though, I was able to put 300 rounds through it with only one fail to fire. Clean your gun indeed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
information is hard to find on th normal web

thanks to jonm61 (hope I rememberd that right) for the blowup of my p22. Took the gun out to fire with my other guns, it would not fire any of the ten rounds I tried. Completly tore it dow,cleaned, and lubed it. Just forgot where all the springs went.(i know) anyway, with that info, I assembled the gun and it works good. Just reminded me how importent it is to clean&lube after every firing. Thanks again.What a great sorce of info this site is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Freedom

Even though I live in Nv. I like shooting and gathering firewood in Ca. The laws there have made many of my guns illegal in that stae, so I end up being a criminal when I enter California. What a shame. (or sham) Any way, if the Gov. wants to take my guns, Come and get them.

·
Banned
4 Posts
PlinkerDad...I agree, this firearm is a piece of S_ _ _ t ! And S&W knows it !!! Even after a record quatery profit, they refuse to acknowledge this potentially dangerous problem . I also bought one for my Son, but I will never use the firearm again, nor will he.
I think it's about time for all of us too get together and make S&W acknowledge this problem ?? Anybody interested ?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
PlinkerDad...I agree, this firearm is a piece of S_ _ _ t ! And S&W knows it !!! Even after a record quatery profit, they refuse to acknowledge this potentially dangerous problem . I also bought one for my Son, but I will never use the firearm again, nor will he.
I think it's about time for all of us too get together and make S&W acknowledge this problem ?? Anybody interested ?
Not everyone, particularly here, would agree. Many folks love their P22 and have great success with it, with many thousands of rounds through them without incident or problem. With a bit of effort and the right kind of ammo, the P22 has proved to be a fun plinker for thousands and thousands of shooting enthusiasts.

One other point: S&W does not make the P22. S&W is the importer. The pistol is a Umarex creation. Umarex is Walther's parent company. Umarex makes air pistols.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine's not a POS in any way and is not dangerous unless it's pointed at someone. I shoot it all the time. Mine's not made by S&W though. Maybe that's the difference.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts