Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for another 9mm and narrowed the choices down to a PPQ PC and an HK VP9SK.
The cost of the PPQ SC at $459 is a couple of hundred cheaper and available online other than from Gunbroker.com at $549.

My concern is the plastic in the slide. Does anyone have issues with the plastic inserts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The slide design is indeed different from all other PPQs. I have not heard of any failures due to this however. I have never had any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I have two PPQ SCs. I have not had a real problem with either. They are good guns. I shoot the 5" PPQs a lot so shooting the SCs feels very natural.

There was a lot of speculation when the SCs came out that the design was fragile and would not hold up.

I have not found that to be the case.

They are a little fat compared to guns like the PPS, G43, Shield, ... but I think the added girth also makes the PPQ SC easier to shoot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.
I had the PPQ PC in the cart but waited and lost it at Guns.com.$459 plus $25 shipping and a $10 gun fee of some sort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my SC. Shooting it feels just like my polymer Q5. I will say the sights and holster options are lacking. Plus the PPQ M2 mags are not interchangeable. I also wish they had the 13 rd mag like the SK

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your post got me to look at the "plastic" you mention. Walther's reasoning is to lighten the slide. Not sure why they needed to fill in the gap. Perhaps one of our experts can explain?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your post got me to look at the "plastic" you mention. Walther's reasoning is to lighten the slide. Not sure why they needed to fill in the gap. Perhaps one of our experts can explain?
Yep!
I watched some youtube reviews. Definitely was liked by many. One well known reviewer mention the plastic was added to lighten the slide for better action. He also said it was too early to see how the plastic area holds up. Early SC video.

I should have grabbed it at that $459.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah. "If you snooze, you lose". lol!! I always say, don't worry so much about price of the gun. You will spend far more in accessories (lights, holsters, magazines and other doodads), and ammo that will far exceed the difference in your handgun purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. "If you snooze, you lose". lol!! I always say, don't worry so much about price of the gun. You will spend far more in accessories (lights, holsters, magazines and other doodads), and ammo that will far exceed the difference in your handgun purchase.
So true! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a PPQ SC that is a pleasant to shoot and accurate out of the box. Also on the plus side, I have put ~550 rounds through it without malfunction. The first ~150 were odds and ends including several different types of defensive loads. The last 400 were Federal Syntech 130 gr during a training class. A cautionary note: The design of the tabs on the frame that retain the grip insert are weak. The grip insert pin on my pistol was very tight and when I inserted the pin through the first side of the tab, it bound like a screen door stop and broke the tab off the frame. There is no repair and Walther will not replace the frame so I am stuck with a compromised pistol. It is weak because Walther used two weak tabs rather than one robust tab to allow for a tether to be threaded around the grip pin. A useless "feature" for concealed carry IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys!
I wound up buying an HK VP9SK LE.

Reactions: Curtis

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the market for another 9mm and narrowed the choices down to a PPQ PC and an HK VP9SK.
The cost of the PPQ SC at $459 is a couple of hundred cheaper and available online other than from Gunbroker.com at $549.

My concern is the plastic in the slide. Does anyone have issues with the plastic inserts?
I'd go with the VP9SK. I own & love the PPQ have an M1 in both the original 4" & also a 5" along with owning a VP9SK & a P99C AS in 40 which if you can find one in 9mm I'd get that before the PPQ SC. Walther was slow to the party for the SC & the VP9SK feels much better in the hand, in my opinion & more solid, vs the PPQ SC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd go with the VP9SK. I own & love the PPQ have an M1 in both the original 4" & also a 5" along with owning a VP9SK & a P99C AS in 40 which if you can find one in 9mm I'd get that before the PPQ SC. Walther was slow to the party for the SC & the VP9SK feels much better in the hand, in my opinion & more solid, vs the PPQ SC.
Check the post above yours. 😉

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I love my SC. Shooting it feels just like my polymer Q5. I will say the sights and holster options are lacking. Plus the PPQ M2 mags are not interchangeable. I also wish they had the 13 rd mag like the SK
I am in complete agreement with 9mmWalther.

Shooting the SC feels very much like shooting the 4" or 5" PPQs.

I find the lack of mag interchangeability annoying but not a show stopper.

13 round mags would be most welcome.

Once again, despite some slight annoyances, I really like the gun. The shooting characteristics won me over.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had mine for almost a year now and am 100% completely satisfied. It feels great, shoots great, and is very concealable. No, holster choices/availability are not as plentiful as some but most of the big boys make a holster for it and there's always the custom route. I have Alien Gear, Crossbreed, and Versacarry holsters and all function superbly. No, it's not as slim as say the PPS but I don't think it was designed or supposed to be. The 10 round magazines are fine for me as I don't mind the trade-off of a few extra rounds for weight savings and easier concealment. The 15 round magazine is good if you want the higher capacity however it does increase the overall height of the pistol adding to concealment concerns. If in a prolonged gunfight, I can certainly see where the extra rounds would come in handy but I hope to never need 15 rounds to secure the safety of myself or family. I also like the "American" style magazine release the PPQ SC has over the lever or "European" style but that is just my preference. I think the VP9SK only has the lever style release but I'm not an as knowledgeable on the H&K line as some. Since the OP has already made the purchase, I guess it's a moot point. Regardless, H&K makes a top shelf product so as long as you like it - right on. You certainly have a fine piece and you would not have gone wrong with either one(y).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts