Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that my next gun purchase will be a Walther P99. I have flirted with the idea for quite some time but have always ended up buying something else but I am now ready to get one of these.

I am having trouble deciding between the AS or the QA models. Generally, I prefer the Glock and LEM type triggers for polymer pistols but the 8lb trigger of the the P99QA seems a touch heavy.

On the other hand, the P99AS seems kind of confusing or tricky to get used to with basically three different possible trigger pulls.

So which of these is most preferred? Which is the better way to go?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
335 Posts
rwb_1969 I am having trouble deciding between the AS or the QA models. Generally said:
If you monitor this forum for any length of time you will find out that the "AS" (Anti-stress) seems to be preferred over the QA model.

Why don't you run a survey?

I have both the P99c/AS and the full size P99/AS and both are the absolute best pistols I've ever owned.. (And I've gone thru a pile).

I was raised on traditional DA/SA's pistols and my only descent into the QA type trigger firearm was the Glock 26.. I had two of those several years ago, and I hated the blocky grip of the Glock, and the trigger action. Also, the Glocks were not as accurate (for me) as my Sig P239, which is not as accurate (for me) as either of the Walther P99's.

I find the P99's 8.8lb DA and 4.4lb SA, and 4.4lb "AS" mode to be absolutely perfect for ME.

Try and find an example of each to fire. What suits one person does not necessarily suit another.

I will tell you that the "AS" trigger/striker system is not complicated, tricky, or confusing in the least.

Here it is:

DA- just like any other pistol.. Leave the pistol uncocked and the first round, and first round only will be the heavier 8.8lb trigger pull.. I think of the DA first round as a safety in the same manner I do any of my DA revolvers.

SA-With a round in the chamber if you have the pistol cocked the first and every round thereafter will be the light 4.4lb SA pull.

"AS" (Anti-stress). This is simply a THIRD OPTIONAL trigger/striker pull, that you are welcome to ignore completely should you chose to do so..

All it means is that in DA mode if you retract the slide slightly the pistol will go from a long trigger pull 8.8lb trigger to a LONGER Travel trigger pull LIKE the DA, but about halfway back you "feel" a click and you are in the 4.4lb SA mode.

I personally see no need for the "AS" mode for my needs, so never use it. My method of cc is first round DA with all SA' rounds to follow.

The Walther P99 has a visible red "cocked" indicator that you can see in the daylight, or feel in the dark to let you know if you are in cocked, or uncocked mode.

If the AS mode confuses you, think of the P99/AS as a car with a two speed transmission. (a'la Chevy powerglide of decades past) The AS mode would be a third gear you simply never use, need, or care about.. But it is there, it comes with the package, costs nothing, so don't worry about it.

Hope this helps.. Run a survey..:D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It is going to boil down to your preference, if you like Glock or LEM type triggers than the QA is your best bet although it is much heavier of a trigger pull. I have three P99s and all are AS. This is only my opinion but I think the AS is the best trigger config by far....

·
Registered
335 Posts
rwb_1969:

Either way you'll get a fantastic pistol...:D

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great picture PX15. I am drooling. Thanks also for the detailed reply. Thanks also to the insights from Jake.

I will have to think this over a bit more. I like the consistency and simplicity of the QA type triggers but everyone seems so fond of the AS trigger system.

Any more replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
The QA trigger is lighter than the SA DA pull but harder than the AS SA.
Travel is 2 to 3mm more than AS SA mode.
If you clean up the action iaw the Fluff and Buff found in this forum, the trigger will feel close to a slightly harder AS DA pull.
Here is a comparison of the different triggers by pull weight. I'd say the QA trigger is around 6 to 7 lbs.

http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=0716&f=p99triggers.jpg

I have both a QA and a AS. The long DA pull of the AS first shot always screws up my hold and the first shot comes in low and left because my short finger pushes the gun to the left as I pull on the trigger. If you have regular hands the AS will be no problem. Short fingers and/or girly hands, I'd go with the QA.

Techrep

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input techrep. I sure wish I could feel both triggers before I lay down the money.

No range near me has either let alone both for rent and I haven't found a store yet either that has both.

If anybody who owns one or either of the P99 types and lives in the Hampton Roads or Williamsburg area of Virginia and would be interested in getting together for a range session that would be great.

Otherwise, please keep the info coming.

Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I saw get the A/S - I have gotten 15 people to buy them - 2 in person and the rest online. Many of them never even tried it but went solely on my constant blathering on how good the P99 A/S is. None of them have regretted it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, Ship is correct. He, and others, convinced me to try the AS. I ordered one and eventually laid down cold, hard, retirement cash and ran to the range. (Between the cash part and the drive part, I did read the manual, disassemble the weapon and clean it a bit.) OK, now for the range:

I did not do very well with it. A few hundred rounds and it, and I, did not come to a good agreement. Other brands I have, did better for me. Frustrating !! Then it hit me-----change the backstrap. Son-of-a-gun, what a difference. I now understand what "Nirvana" means.

I really enjoy the P99 AS and I am very pleased that I listened to the opinions of those more able than me. The over-all feel of it and the trigger are enough to cause me to experience discomfort in the --- certain part of the shorts --- that is difficult to conceal.

Now then, I enjoy the HK P2K, the SIG 239, the PPK/S-1 (no, I love her) and the HK P7PSP ( the universe is in my hand with her) but the P99AS is "special" to all of them. Better ?? or just nicely different ?? Just Nice !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The QA trigger is lighter than the SA DA pull but harder than the AS SA.
Travel is 2 to 3mm more than AS SA mode.
If you clean up the action iaw the Fluff and Buff found in this forum, the trigger will feel close to a slightly harder AS DA pull.
Here is a comparison of the different triggers by pull weight. I'd say the QA trigger is around 6 to 7 lbs.

http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=0716&f=p99triggers.jpg

I have both a QA and a AS. The long DA pull of the AS first shot always screws up my hold and the first shot comes in low and left because my short finger pushes the gun to the left as I pull on the trigger. If you have regular hands the AS will be no problem. Short fingers and/or girly hands, I'd go with the QA.

Techrep

Excellent post! I'm leaning towards QA for that reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Funny how things turn out...I started out looking for a QA, but because of availibility, bought the first P99 I could find.....a used '01 AS. Being an old wheel gun and rifle shooter, I prefer the shorter pull provided by the AS. Not only can you pull the slide a slight bit after decocking to get back to 'AS mode', but if you only release the trigger slightly after firing, you stay in AS mode for subsequent pulls. Glad I got the AS, I don't have the patience for long triggers :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you can't decide, just get both. I did, and I don't regret it at all. :)

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Yep, get the AS. I much prefer the AS trigger pull to the QA. I've tried them both and to me there is something not quite right with the QA trigger pull. I'm sure it's a personal preference though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will have to plan a weekend and make a drive to some better gun stores so that I can see what the QA feels like.

I really need to feel both triggers before I can make this decision.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At long last I have finally added the Walther P99 to my collection. I went with the AS trigger in 9MM. Tomorrow I will clean it up and hopefully get to the range with it in the next week or two. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
335 Posts
At long last I have finally added the Walther P99 to my collection. I went with the AS trigger in 9MM. Tomorrow I will clean it up and hopefully get to the range with it in the next week or two. Thanks for the input.

rwb_1969:

You "done good"....

Just wait until you run a couple of magazines of 9mm thru your new P99 and you'll see what I'm talking about. :D

Let us know after you shoot it.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts