Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
$17 each, fit for the P99, SW99, MR9, and PPQ M1:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/840564630

Oh, wait, these are 10 rounders.

The same seller also has 16 rounders for a couple bucks more.

robertsontradingpost is a great company to deal with in my experience. Quick shipping and each purchase has been precisely as described.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So now the waiting begins

MO sent, should be there by Friday, wait for shipping to the FFL for pick up. I sure do hope I like this gun.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
MO sent, should be there by Friday, wait for shipping to the FFL for pick up. I sure do hope I like this gun.

If you don't the resale value is descent. It's my preferred striker-fired weapon. It does take practice because the system is different, but mastery brings great rewards. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If you don't the resale value is descent. It's my preferred striker-fired weapon. It does take practice because the system is different, but mastery brings great rewards. ;)
Almost all of my triggers are hammer fired so I have a good bit of time with a double/single action trigger with a decock feature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The waiting game continues...

Just got the tracking #s,been watching random p99 youtube videos. The gun sure does look like a smooth shooter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Picked it up today. I am betting it might have had 100 rounds thru it.

The take up on the trigger from double to single is really light, and then it feels like about 5 lb range in single to break point. It feels pretty good. It came with the short mag release, I think I will try the long one. Medium backstrap, I might try a rubber sleeve vs Talon grip, I think the grips feel a bit slick.

The only negative I see so far is that my Olight mini pl light does not fit the notch on the rail. Looks like the trigger guard is too wide.

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
Picked it up today. I am betting it might have had 100 rounds thru it.

The take up on the trigger from double to single is really light, and then it feels like about 5 lb range in single to break point. It feels pretty good. It came with the short mag release, I think I will try the long one. Medium backstrap, I might try a rubber sleeve vs Talon grip, I think the grips feel a bit slick.

The only negative I see so far is that my Olight mini pl light does not fit the notch on the rail. Looks like the trigger guard is too wide.
When you rack the slide, you cock the striker and place the trigger in AS mode. So, that light take up your talking about is from AS to SA. To put the trigger in DA mode, you'll need to depress the 'de-cocker'.

Here ya go https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/33787-walther-p99-trigger-systems.html read thru this.

Based on the fact that your pistol has the 'short' mag release, you've got an older version. As for trying the longer mag release, how do you plan on doing that?

How bout posting a picture of this pistol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I mentioned earlier in the thread that the pistol based upon an is a 2019 build, confirmed here on sight and Walther mothership. The pistol came with a short installed and a long in the accessory bag with a bunch of front sights. Now it is possible that the pack of supplies were parts that the previous owner acquired and did not use. I am going to search YT and see if I can locate an instruction video to do the swap. Hopefully it is just a matter of pushing out the roll pin and swap

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
But ARP, Walther NEVER offered a P99 with long and short mag release levers. Period! Post a picture of your pistol showing the trigger guard and mag release. Also post a picture showing the serial number and date code.

I'm thinking you have a second generation pistol which has the short mag release. Somewhere along the line, someone whooped out their dremel tool and did a little whacking on the trigger guard to make room for the longer mag release.

I know there's some out there, because I've modified quite a few of my own (not P99's, but SW99's and Magnum Research MR series with short levers). I did do a few P99's for a fellow.

Once again, Walther NEVER offered the P99 with convertible mag release levers.

Here's one of my Magnum Research MR pistols, based on the P99, Walther actually makes/supplies the frame, but with short paddles. I modified the trigger guard and installed long paddles.

Post a picture like the one below. We need to see the info in the red circle. That'll provide the date info we need.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
But ARP, Walther NEVER offered a P99 with long and short mag release levers. Period! Post a picture of your pistol showing the trigger guard and mag release. Also post a picture showing the serial number and date code.

I'm thinking you have a second generation pistol which has the short mag release. Somewhere along the line, someone whooped out their dremel tool and did a little whacking on the trigger guard to make room for the longer mag release.

I know there's some out there, because I've modified quite a few of my own (not P99's, but SW99's and Magnum Research MR series with short levers). I did do a few P99's for a fellow.

Once again, Walther NEVER offered the P99 with convertible mag release levers.

Here's one of my Magnum Research MR pistols, based on the P99, Walther actually makes/supplies the frame, but with short paddles. I modified the trigger guard and installed long paddles.

Post a picture like the one below. We need to see the info in the red circle. That'll provide the date info we need.

Well mine has the short installed and the long in the parts bag. I can see that there is a cut out for the long that used to be on there. I don't have pics and I am at work, so they are not forthcoming. I bought used, so the previous owner did something with a swap. Stamped DE BK.

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
Well mine has the short installed and the long in the parts bag. I can see that there is a cut out for the long that used to be on there. I don't have pics and I am at work, so they are not forthcoming. I bought used, so the previous owner did something with a swap. Stamped DE BK.
Yep, the previous owner did something. Maybe the pistol came with the long levers and he put the short levers on.....don't ask me why he'd do such a thing.

Oh, and BK = 19 or 2019. So, yes you have a current model that came with long levers. Previous owner put shot levers on.

The levers are a piece-o-cake to change. Punch out the pin. The levers are removed thru the magwell. Insert the long levers and reinstall the pin. There's a little spring in there, but it usually stays in place during the swap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yep, the previous owner did something. Maybe the pistol came with the long levers and he put the short levers on.....don't ask me why he'd do such a thing.

Oh, and BK = 19 or 2019. So, yes you have a current model that came with long levers. Previous owner put shot levers on.

The levers are a piece-o-cake to change. Punch out the pin. The levers are removed thru the magwell. Insert the long levers and reinstall the pin. There's a little spring in there, but it usually stays in place during the swap.
NOW THAT IS GOOD NEWS. I only had about 20 minutes to sort thru the purchase and figure out exactly what was not original. I always worry about used guns and people doing "work" on them. I am glad I have the original parts. When I was working the mag release I thought how could this be a good, complete design? Especially with the cut out for the long lever. I got days off this week so I will swap it back to original.

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
Your welcome. I need to mention that when you do the mag release swap, field strip the pistol so all you're working with is the frame. It'll allow you to be able to see what your doing from the top and/or bottom.

Enjoy your pistol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Weii, that was simple enough, found the big sized punch, a few taps with a small hammer got the pin drifting, removed pin, removed old part via the mag well, installed new part via magwell, drift pin back into position, function test and passed that, slide back on and function test, task complete.

The only thing I can think of that the previous owner did not like about the long lever was that the distance the lever had to move to release the mag was longer with the long lever vs short. That is a perception and not reality. One thing I personally notice is that the mag release lever contacts my middle finger knuckle while I am gripped tight. I have to loosen my grip a bit in order to get positive movement of the lever. Am I over thinking this? I doubt it and with dry practice the muscle memory will take over and I will become accustomed to the whole paddle push vs button push mag release. As I handle the pistol I must use either the support hand thumb or fore finger of my left hand or my trigger finger of my right to release the mag. It is one of those quirks that you will never notice in looking at pics or videos, only by personal experience.

Bottom line in my estimation, this is a really nice polymer pistol. I just can not stop picking it up and handling the controls.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Okay a new revelation.... I will be using the trigger finger to release the mag as my primary operation. My left hand will be occupied reaching for the spare mag instead of hanging around to push the mag release.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Congrats on a smart purchase. Now get more of them!

Seriously, the P99 and evolution PPQ, and single stack PPS, are probably top 10 or so gun modern-ish designs ever made. Reliable, affordable, comfortable, good ergos, good capacity, accurate, rugged.

For $400 or so we live in very good times at the moment.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
>>Seriously, the P99 and evolution PPQ, and single stack PPS, are probably top 10 or so gun modern-ish designs ever made.<<

And after today, I've got 'em all! :)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts