Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
The Walther P99c natively takes 10 round magazines that come with a finger extension or plain. You can use larger P99AS 15-16-18 round magazines in the P99c with a sleeve that makes it not over insert (thereby potentially damaging the weapons function) and essentially turns the grip into one the same length as the P99AS.

I own both weapons and the inter-operability of the larger magazines is a big plus for me. I have the P99c on my hip as I type this with a 10 round magazine inserted because yesterday I was more concerned with not printing at an event than with added capacity. When less concerned about discovery I routinely carry it with a 16 round magazine or I carry the P99AS.

My favorite aspects of this combination is that the manual or arms (which I think is outstanding) is identical between the two weapons.

In any case, there are some that do not like the P99c and find the grip sleeve annoying. To each their own. I got my P99c 2 years ago when they were going for $339 shipped and after having carried my P99AS for 18 months. I could not resist the deal on the c knowing that it would handle like my full-size P99AS.

I've had zero problems from either weapon. Good luck with your hunt and decision. I understand staying with 9mm. The only 40SW weapons I own have been converted to 357Sig because of that rounds superior ballistics.

P.S. The P99c is available now for $428 at:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/walther-p99c-as-semi-automatic-9mm-35-barrel-101-rounds?a=2220527

Years ago, I had several P99s, including a P99c. I even had the slide on my P99c and 1 of my P99s hard chromed.

At the time, I tried the P99c with the grip sleeve extension - but the edges of it was uncomfortable for my hands when I shot it. It was not the same as shooting with the fullsize P99 grip... At least not to me.

I got outta the P99 as my favorite gun around 2007, and I sold them to buy something else... But, I missed it - and I got another one again back in Jan 2018. I love the gun. And, out of any of the handguns I have, it is the most accurate.

But, while i love the fullsize P99 - the P99c was just so so to me... To me, the rear backstrap was too short. I didn't like how it ended in my palm. That's why I did not get one again, even when they had those super low prices on the 9mm P99c a while back. For that size gun, I do like my HK P2000sk more... The backstrap is a bit longer on that gun.

But, that's just personal preference.

I immensly enjoy shooting my fullsize P99, though :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
The P99C is the pistol that does-it-all!

With the fullsize grip adapter the only difference is that slight gap in the grip where the adapter meets the pistol grip and lopping off half an inch off the barrel. Personally that gap never bothered me one bit during my casual range sessions. It looks a little funny but it's quite functional.

The P99C was my first centerfire pistol. It filled a lot of roles for me until I could add a few more to fulfill specific roles. These days it sees less use because it's jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of affair.

It does have one strong suit. Sure is nice being able to carry in a compact with the flat base plate and have a reload or two of factory 15, 17 or 20 rounds on tap with adapter that gives it a full size grip. There aren't many places I travel where I need that kind of firepower but every once in a while every room will be sold out except for the ghetto-town Methcrack Inn and "Suites". Albuquerque during the Balloon Festival I'm looking at you! :mad: $172 a night to stay in the most deplorable slum with a mattress not even fit for a fold out sofa!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Walther is a P-99QA.
Wonderful and I have trusted it.
You go buy that used one you mentioned, RIGHT NOW.
You are looking a "gift horse"in the mouth and you will regret not getting it.
Don't screw around. Go get it and post back with photos of it.
THIS IS AN ORDER.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go new at $500 unless you can find used at sub $400 (read $375). Quibbling over $125 new vs used for a gun that will last your lifetime doesn’t make sense in my opinion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The P99 and the PPQ are essentially the same pistol with excellent ergos, reliability, controls, sights, etc. with the major differences as follows:

* P99 is more akin to a DA/SA trigger in a striker fired gun, even allowing you to pre-cock it to a shorter trigger. Innovative and interesting.
* PPQ is the same (albeit maybe improved) Glock like trigger with trigger safety.

* PPQ has ambidextrous slide release and has forward slide serrations.
* P99 and PPQ gen 1 has paddle mag releases whereas PPQ gen 2 has American style mag release.

Both are excellent designs. Good examples can readily be found for $400-500. I've purchased many in that range.

* Might I also recommend the PPS single stacks as excellent defense tools.

OP you said you like CZs. I would put the CZ 75 and P07 designs right with these Walthers. They are essentially peers in terms of quality and design.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
The P99 and the PPQ are essentially the same pistol with excellent ergos, reliability, controls, sights, etc. with the major differences as follows:

* P99 is more akin to a DA/SA trigger in a striker fired gun, even allowing you to pre-cock it to a shorter trigger. Innovative and interesting.
* PPQ is the same (albeit maybe improved) Glock like trigger with trigger safety.

* P99 and PPQ gen 1 has paddle mag releases whereas PPQ gen 2 has American style mag release.

Both are excellent designs. Good examples can readily be found for $400-500. I've purchased many in that range.

OP you said you like CZs. I would put the CZ 75 and P07 designs right with these Walthers. They are essentially peers in terms of quality and design.

You forgot the most innovative distinction - the P99 has a decocker and the PPQ is crippled.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wow, this got interesting....another offer was made, either the used at $380 shipped or new at cost $482. I am leaning towards the used, it is really clean in pics.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I have a 75bd,pcr,p09,p07. The 75 and pcr both have the palm swell grips that just feel so good in hand.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, this got interesting....another offer was made, either the used at $380 shipped or new at cost $482. I am leaning towards the used, it is really clean in pics.

Keep in mind unless there are a TON of pics I've often found some of the auctions to be misleading on quality and on a gun with as durable of a finish as the P99 they could subject it to a fair amount of use and stay looking pretty new.

Unless there are over 5 pics and preferably over 10, I'm always skeptical.

Truth is if anything is wrong with that used pistol it's likely to cost you more than 100 dollars in time/aggravation/shipping/parts. For me, in my circumstances, 100 bucks isn't really enough to justify not going new at the price points you mention.

Of course part of it depends on how you treat your pistols. If you subject them to hard use then buying used might make sense as yours will be just as banged up in short order anyways. Folks in those circumstances I can understand buying used.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I finally had a chance to handle one last week. I had to go to Denver for work, fly out and drive back. On the way home, I was driving on I80 thru Grinnell, IA and there on my left was Brownells retail store and warehouse. I had to stop, they had a .40 on display as a used gun, as soon as I picked it up, it felt just like my Canik. I found the grip a bit slippery. I am thinking that a Traction grip will help quite a bit.

Comes with the 2 mags, so where does everyone buy the spare mags?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I finally had a chance to handle one last week. I had to go to Denver for work, fly out and drive back. On the way home, I was driving on I80 thru Grinnell, IA and there on my left was Brownells retail store and warehouse. I had to stop, they had a .40 on display as a used gun, as soon as I picked it up, it felt just like my Canik. I found the grip a bit slippery. I am thinking that a Traction grip will help quite a bit.

I've only bought 9mm ones but Gunbroker usually has some listed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Buds gunshop is where I found mine. Bear in mind you can use P99 or PPQ M1 mags in the appropriate caliber.

Which caliber did you buy? I can help you if you need 40 Cal mags on the cheap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Buds gunshop is where I found mine. Bear in mind you can use P99 or PPQ M1 mags in the appropriate caliber.

Which caliber did you buy? I can help you if you need 40 Cal mags on the cheap.
9mm.

What seems to be the going rate for mags? I saw some Promags and read a few reviews that said they are unreliable. In the past I have bought mags from other guns from Greg Cote, usually MecGar which were good to go as they are a supplier to many firearms oem.

So is this true that the PP mags work with the p99?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
9mm.

What seems to be the going rate for mags? I saw some Promags and read a few reviews that said they are unreliable. In the past I have bought mags from other guns from Greg Cote, usually MecGar which were good to go as they are a supplier to many firearms oem.

So is this true that the PP mags work with the p99?

MecGar are the way to go. I've had troubles with Promags in several weapons and have sworn off them (after swearing at them).

PPQ M1 mags will work in P99s but NOT PPQ M2 magazines.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
MecGar are the way to go. I've had troubles with Promags in several weapons and have sworn off them (after swearing at them).

Any inkling on price? Some I have seen are off the charts expensive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Hmmm....just went to the MecGar site, they do not offer a magazine for a PPQ. Either they no longer manufacture and those that are out there are old stock?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts