Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. First post on this forum. I believe I am in the market for a used P99 AS. I have been watching the auctions and prefer to go used on this purchase. Part of what I am running up against is no LGS has one in stock for me to handle, however I do own a Canik tp9sf that is close enough from a grip standpoint for me to believe the grip angle will be fine and with swappable backstraps I will be GTG.

I guess what it boils down to is what is an acceptable price on a used. The reality is there is no way to verify a round count on a used p99, I am currently looking at one on an auction that is just an offer to buy, no bidding against other buyers. Details are reportedly 3 years old, is there a way to determine age with a serial number? The gun appears clean wear free from the photos, so I would place a 95% condition. I am looking at the pictures the seller has sent me and I am looking for a notch cut out where the pic rail is located, not seeing the cut out. Is there a single cutout or multiple or none at all?

I am seeing NIB on line for $500, this used version is asking in the $470 range I might be a buyer at $425ish. I will have a $35 transfer fee on my end so $470 makes no sense vs new. What else should I be aware of or considering?

Thanks in advance. I am a CZ fan, testing the water with Walther.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I contacted Walther

Seems that the age of the gun is stamped on the slide.....I see DE BK, and in between those two sets of letters is a CIP and under that is the letter N.

Walther says 2019 manufacturer year.

So more is not adding up. Seller does not know much about the gun, he has admitted that, he is an FFL holder, which seems to be fairly common, usually the buyer knows darn near exactly what they are getting when they are about to spend that kind of money on a pistol and the FFL does not know all details on all guns.

Can anyone shed some light on the numbers I provided?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
My P99AS is my EDC and my P99c is my back-up along with my PPS. I'm a huge fan of the P99AS and its safeties, trigger, and ergos.

BK should be 2019: A=0, B=1, C=2, D=3, E=4, F=5, G=6, H=7, I=8, K=9 (No "J" used).

If it were me, I'd go new at that slight a price difference. Also, the Mod1's were different from the Mod2's with narrower serrations, shorter mag lever, and a bump on the trigger guard. The one you are looking at, based on the date, is a Mod 2 which I prefer.

Brand new for $500 is, currently, a good price for a 9mm, 40SW always go for less.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847878869

How many magazines does it come with? New P99AS's come with 2. Magazines can be $40ish for new (but can be had for less if you are a careful shopper and patient). Does the used one come with anything else? New P99AS's come with multiple back straps for sizing and (I'll be corrected if I misremember!) 3 front sights of different heights to zero in your weapon more easily. Used often do not come with those pieces included.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My P99AS is my EDC and my P99c is my back-up along with my PPS. I'm a huge fan of the P99AS and its safeties, trigger, and ergos.

BK should be 2019: A=0, B=1, C=2, D=3, E=4, F=5, G=6, H=7, I=8, K=9 (No "J" used).

If it were me, I'd go new at that slight a price difference. Also, the Mod1's were different from the Mod2's with narrower serrations, shorter mag lever, and a bump on the trigger guard. The one you are looking at, based on the date, is a Mod 2 which I prefer.

Brand new for $500 is, currently, a good price for a 9mm, 40SW always go for less.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847878869

How many magazines does it come with? New P99AS's come with 2. Magazines can be $40ish for new (but can be had for less if you are a careful shopper and patient). Does the used one come with anything else? New P99AS's come with multiple back straps for sizing and (I'll be corrected if I misremember!) 3 front sights of different heights to zero in your weapon more easily. Used often do not come with those pieces included.
Comes with back straps, 2 mags, case, book, probably cleaning rod, and it looked like a second longer mag release, could be mistaken on that.

Can you address the rail issue?

Seller asked what I was thinking and I said, new they were $500, I will have $35 in transfer fee and $5 in BG check, soooo $470 is not going to make it happen. I was thinking a top price for me would be $425 shipped

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
P99 rail has only one notch
This is my Blue Line P99 the day I brought it home from the shop.

LE comes with three mags...yours will have the long mag release as well but just two mags.

If you look closely at near the muzzle you'll see the rail notch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
P99 is about as rock solid of a pistol as you can find. Unless there is evidence of extreme abuse or extremely high round count you're almost certain to end up with a functional pistol when buying used.

I didn't see any available right now, but if you're willing to wait a bit for the purchase I do sometimes see P99s in 9mm selling for closer to 325-375. SW99's in 9mm for less than $300.

If you're willing to consider a .40 cal SW99 you can see them go for 200-250 pretty often. You might even score one for less than 2 bills if you were patient.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
P99 is about as rock solid of a pistol as you can find. Unless there is evidence of extreme abuse or extremely high round count you're almost certain to end up with a functional pistol when buying used.

I didn't see any available right now, but if you're willing to wait a bit for the purchase I do sometimes see P99s in 9mm selling for closer to 325-375. SW99's in 9mm for less than $300.

If you're willing to consider a .40 cal SW99 you can see them go for 200-250 pretty often. You might even score one for less than 2 bills if you were patient.
I am absolutely looking at a gen 2 P99 AS in 9mm. Money is not an issue on new, however I would prefer to save a few dollars on a used in great condition. Don't want to overpay on it either. Want the German made also.

Like I said, been watching the auctions for a few weeks. The samples I have been seeing are all beat up, or are older gen.

So does it sound like an offer of $400 on a 95% condition is reasonable? New would be another $140. I have only ever purchased a used S&W model 36 revolver, a Henry Golden Boy .22lr and a few weeks ago a Mossberg 930 spx unfired. So my purchase experience in the used arena is limited. The Mossberg was my first auction buy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am absolutely looking at a gen 2 P99 AS in 9mm. Money is not an issue on new, however I would prefer to save a few dollars on a used in great condition. Don't want to overpay on it either. Want the German made also.

Like I said, been watching the auctions for a few weeks. The samples I have been seeing are all beat up, or are older gen.

So does it sound like an offer of $400 on a 95% condition is reasonable? New would be another $140.
As far as I know all P99AS's are German made. For awhile there was some confusion because Smith & Wesson imported them and people confused the import marks.

For reference, I paid $500 for my P99AS in 2004 brand new. That was a 'fair' price then. $540 for a new one 15 years later seems like a pretty good price. If the used one is a 2019 part of me would ask "why?"

All things being equal I usually don't consider buying used unless I can save about 30% or more off of the new price. So the $400 is close. Walther says the warranty applies even if you're not the original purchaser, so you have that going for you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation. Good luck in your quest for a P99. Be patient, 1 will come along and you will enjoy your Walther.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as I know all P99AS's are German made. For awhile there was some confusion because Smith & Wesson imported them and people confused the import marks.

For reference, I paid $500 for my P99AS in 2004 brand new. That was a 'fair' price then. $540 for a new one 15 years later seems like a pretty good price. If the used one is a 2019 part of me would ask "why?"

All things being equal I usually don't consider buying used unless I can save about 30% or more off of the new price. So the $400 is close. Walther says the warranty applies even if you're not the original purchaser, so you have that going for you.
I may wait until the first of the year and go new. All 5 of my CZ were bought new, I just get the feeling that someone without skill or knowledge will try the $.25 trigger job and make something that was fine out of the box inconsistent or out of spec.

I mentioned the Mossberg shotgun I got in an auction a few weeks ago. It had never even been loaded. Saved $200 off best retail price I had seen.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I may wait until the first of the year and go new. All 5 of my CZ were bought new, I just get the feeling that someone without skill or knowledge will try the $.25 trigger job and make something that was fine out of the box inconsistent or out of spec.

I mentioned the Mossberg shotgun I got in an auction a few weeks ago. It had never even been loaded. Saved $200 off best retail price I had seen.

All Walther P99's are German made. Smith & Wesson was the importer for a time AND they produced the SW99 which is a German Walther frame with SW upper.

The P99 trigger is relatively unique and I've never seen a Bubba Trigger job on a P99. The two big reasons I prefer the Mod2 are the standard rail attachment and the longer magazine paddle.

It hasn't been said in this thread but the paddle release for the magazine is a big plus on the P99 IMHO. I have no problems with needing to shift my grip to reload with paddles, but on many button models the ergos make it necessary to shift my hand to press and reload thereby making follow-up shots less likely to be accurate out of the gate. Walther has seen a huge increase in sales since they dropped the paddles on the PPQ (the neutered child of the P99) but all P99s have paddles in addition to their decocker.

Good luck on your search for a P99 - its worth the effort.

·
Registered
63 Posts

So does it sound like an offer of $400 on a 95% condition is reasonable? New would be another $140.

I like to use gundeals to search for the lowest price on weapons. Right now I see one for 502 dollars - and I *think* that includes the shipping

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/p99

So New at 502 + transfer VS Used at 400 + shipping and transfer... I'd buy the new one every day at that price, especially knowing how expensive shipping is on most gunbroker auctions.

If you are patient you'll see some decent condition ones going for under 400. I personally think paying 400 is way too high unless the thing was ultra minty looking or came with some extra accessories.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Don't overlook the P99C if you find a deal on one. With a sleeve you can use full size mags and the C barrel is only .5" shorter. I find it to be a good range gun and also a good carry gun. They were going new for $329 a year or so ago so you may find one for less than that if you're lucky (they sold fast). 40s are still available for $299 BNIB.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with everyone who said buy new. Here's a deal:

https://www.primaryarms.com/walther-p99as-compact-9mm-pistol-with-15-round-magazines-black

I'd ignore the "compact" phrase in the description. All the dimensions listed point to a full size P99AS, and the MPN listed in the ad is the same one on my P99's full size case. The savings you're trying to realize by buying used kinda looks like piddly money, around 20 to 50 bucks. To me, that's not worth the effort.

Don

P.S.- Here's another deal. https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/84617/walther+arms+p99+anti-stress+mode+9mm+15rd+4"+poly+grip. Cash discount price. I've purchased a lot of my Walthers from Bud's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't overlook the P99C if you find a deal on one. With a sleeve you can use full size mags and the C barrel is only .5" shorter. I find it to be a good range gun and also a good carry gun. They were going new for $329 a year or so ago so you may find one for less than that if you're lucky (they sold fast). 40s are still available for $299 BNIB.
Naw, not doing a sleeve. If the grip is that much smaller or shorter that is needs a sleeve, I don't want it.

I have a Shield that is in the carry gun rotation. I run it with the extra long 8 round mags and it has a grip sleeve. Otherwise, the grip is too small and my trigger finger bangs into the guard, with the sleeve and the extended mag, I made it fit. The big up side on that gun is it is slim and reputable trouble free. I am not a fan of sub compact pistols and would never buy another. Also would not invest in another caliber in getting a .40. I have 8 9mm pistols, I am married to that caliber.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with everyone who said buy new. Here's a deal:

https://www.primaryarms.com/walther-p99as-compact-9mm-pistol-with-15-round-magazines-black

I'd ignore the "compact" phrase in the description. All the dimensions listed point to a full size P99AS, and the MPN listed in the ad is the same one on my P99's full size case. The savings you're trying to realize by buying used kinda looks like piddly money, around 20 to 50 bucks. To me, that's not worth the effort.

Don

P.S.- Here's another deal. https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/84617/walther+arms+p99+anti-stress+mode+9mm+15rd+4"+poly+grip. Cash discount price. I've purchased a lot of my Walthers from Bud's.
I have bought from Buds before, Prepper several times, and a few others. I found one the other day, $492+$18 shipping I think, so $510. Forget where, I am not in a big rush to buy, unless it is a legit smokin deal.

Somewhere in the last few days I saw a site that gathers the prices paid recently for a specific gun used and shows them as a high and low price. The high used price was $380 and the low was $301. Now mind you, this does not speak of condition. I am going new on this one, I plan to pass this info onto the seller and let him know why I'm not going to bid. I don't want to insult the guy with a price that is $100 less than he is offering.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Naw, not doing a sleeve. If the grip is that much smaller or shorter that is needs a sleeve, I don't want it.

I have a Shield that is in the carry gun rotation. I run it with the extra long 8 round mags and it has a grip sleeve. Otherwise, the grip is too small and my trigger finger bangs into the guard, with the sleeve and the extended mag, I made it fit. The big up side on that gun is it is slim and reputable trouble free. I am not a fan of sub compact pistols and would never buy another. Also would not invest in another caliber in getting a .40. I have 8 9mm pistols, I am married to that caliber.
The Walther P99c natively takes 10 round magazines that come with a finger extension or plain. You can use larger P99AS 15-16-18 round magazines in the P99c with a sleeve that makes it not over insert (thereby potentially damaging the weapons function) and essentially turns the grip into one the same length as the P99AS.

I own both weapons and the inter-operability of the larger magazines is a big plus for me. I have the P99c on my hip as I type this with a 10 round magazine inserted because yesterday I was more concerned with not printing at an event than with added capacity. When less concerned about discovery I routinely carry it with a 16 round magazine or I carry the P99AS.

My favorite aspects of this combination is that the manual or arms (which I think is outstanding) is identical between the two weapons.

In any case, there are some that do not like the P99c and find the grip sleeve annoying. To each their own. I got my P99c 2 years ago when they were going for $339 shipped and after having carried my P99AS for 18 months. I could not resist the deal on the c knowing that it would handle like my full-size P99AS.

I've had zero problems from either weapon. Good luck with your hunt and decision. I understand staying with 9mm. The only 40SW weapons I own have been converted to 357Sig because of that rounds superior ballistics.

P.S. The P99c is available now for $428 at:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/walther-p99c-as-semi-automatic-9mm-35-barrel-101-rounds?a=2220527

1 - 20 of 60 Posts