Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been having issues with fail to feed and fail to fire. Additionally I have found when I seat a fully loaded mag, the slide goes forward automatically. I’m not ramming the mag in there I’m simply trying to insert a magazine and the slide goes forward without manually pulling back and releasing. However if I slowly and methodically insert the mag, the slide stays locked back like it's supposed to.

I have also tried several brands of ammo. Several will misfeed. I insert a loaded magazine and pull the slide back, release and the nose of the round will get caught on the feed ramp. When I chamber a round (if the round chambers and doesn’t get caught on the feed ramp) I drop the mag to top the mag off. However when I drop the mag, the top round is somehow pulled from the magazine and falls out.

As for fail to fire, I have tried multiple brands. I’ve inspected the rounds. It does appear the rounds have light primer strikes. I know other PK380 owners that use the same brands. They do not have these issues.

I have contacted customer service and I am waiting for a shipping label. I will update when I have more info.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Welcome Trevor. I don't have one of these pistols but you might inspect your slide catch arm...perhaps it has rounded off and simply needs squaring up with a file or perhaps only a new part. I expect the firing pin is inertia driven which means it is too short to reach a round and relies on enough energy supplied by the hammer to drive it into a primer.

Four things to look at here. Is the chamber clean...will a round freely drop all the way in. If not, scrub it out. A round not fully seating will give when first struck by the firing pin resulting in a light strike. #2, the firin pin channel must be clean allowing free movement of the firing pin....is it? #3, the firing pin must fully reset so the hammer can hit it. Resetting relies on a small spring. If the channel is gummed up....the pin might not reset. If the spring is weak,worn or broken the firing pin might not fully reset. You can check all of this with an unloaded pistol by setting the safety to fire and checking out movement of the firing pin. Finally the mainspring might be getting too weak. I believe this pistol uses the same components as the P22...spring and hammer. A new spring requires 8 lbs of pull to cock a P22 hammer....at below 7lbs of pull I get light strikes.

Of course Walther should be able to sort all of this out for you. Good luck 1917

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surprise Surprise

Well so far I've contacted Walther. The lady seemed less than pleased to fill my request. It's been several days and I still have not received my return shipping label. I called a second time with no response. I really hope I can resolve this today.

I discussed these same issues the day of my first post. The entire gun is clean enough to eat off. That was my first attempt to fix this issue. I hope it is just a spring. But correct me if I'm wrong, the slide is not supposed to automatically slide forward upon inserting a new mag right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
But correct me if I'm wrong, the slide is not supposed to automatically slide forward upon inserting a new mag right?
Actually if you watch some videos on Youtube this is a common thing with the PK380s.. It's seen as part of the design and not a flaw. Maybe because of the light spring and slide? But not a real issue if it loads the round from the mag and into the chamber as this happens.

I would call Walther and speak to them again and address the failures to feed and failures to fire. Have them send you a label and let them know it's an extractor issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually if you watch some videos on Youtube this is a common thing with the PK380s.. It's seen as part of the design and not a flaw. Maybe because of the light spring and slide? But not a real issue if it loads the round from the mag and into the chamber as this happens.

I would call Walther and speak to them again and address the failures to feed and failures to fire. Have them send you a label and let them know it's an extractor issue.

Thanks for the input Byzalther, I read your other post as well. I have about one failure to extract per clip, regardless of ammo on my new .380. Ill be contacting Walther as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the failure to feed as well when my Beretta Pico was new.

It turned out the spring was to stiff.
Use more powerfull ammo (more powder).

If the round hangs up the round has no enough ooomph to push the slide all the way back and thus the spring is not compressed enough to create enough power to chamber the round. This is because the spring is to stiff or the ammo has to les power.

Use +P ammo and see if it chambers then.

Think of the gun as of an balanced system were ammo and gun spring has to have the right balance.

Try as well reloading 380 acp ammo and you can solve all problems tayloring the ammo to the gun.

My Beretta Pico never limp wrists or has any problems when 3.0 grain of any standard shotgun powder is used behind an 102 grain lead cast bullet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
fail to fire is due to sticky firing pin when using grease in the firing pin chamber. Clean it there several times with sewing machine oil.

Or the hammer springs are to weak.
Are you serious? You don't want oil/grease anywhere near the firing pin or channel due to it will get very gunky from the residue left from firing the gun/ammo. Also I don't get why you say about using the +p ammo for feeding issues-it does not make sense.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nick1946,

well I have explained it above. These are my experiences.

A Glock one can grease and it will function but an Beretta 92 style pistol will not repeat anymore when greased. The Beretta 92 has way more contact points between slide and frame than a Glock.
James Yeager suggests use light grease the pistol. It's a good idea just not for every model.

Balance: is the key to an semi auto pistol to repeat.
The stiffer the main spring (or as well hammer spring combination) the hotter ammo you must use in order the slide overcomes any spring/friction resistance.

If it does not load, failure to chamber or the round hangs up the feed ramp, simply eighter the main spring/hammer spring combo is to stiff for standard pressure ammo or the ammo you use is to weak.
More power to ammo gives a more violent push back of the slide to the pistols very rear and thus the main spring fully compressed has more power to push the round into the chamber.

ftf: use hotter ammo.
failure to eject: it's a gun problem
failure to fully chamber: use hotter ammo or the ammo is oversized.

This above all from the standpoint of an Reloader. I reload ammo for 380 acp and it's a bit tricky caliber since the brass is thinner than other calibers and thus is prone to crack the case and case mouth is bellyed (kind of Glock smile is present).
If an lead bullet expands a bit to much the thin 380 acp case this is prone to not chamber (foreward assist needed). It's a characteristic of the 380 acp caliber.

·
Registered
57 Posts
light primer strike is allways due to to weak hammer spring or too much friction in the firing pin channel (due to grease or any other gunk).
It's eighter of those 2 if there is not an part broken in the gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Repairs made

Well I spoke with Walther and they said the slide is supposed to catch when the magazine runs dry. I sent the gun in and received it back within a month which is not bad. Can't say that I was pleased with their attitude on the phone though. It almost seemed like they did not care at all. I will say that when they receive a gun they like to put a ton of new parts in it. They replaced the extractor, pin, slide stop lever, hammer spring and left side plate. All was done at no cost to me, no shipping cost as well.

When I got the gun back I took it to the range and had one fail to feed. I think this time it was due to the type of ammo I was using. My Walther really like Winchester and Browning Court. I plan to take it out again soon to see if it happens again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I got the gun back I took it to the range and had one fail to feed. I think this time it was due to the type of ammo I was using. My Walther really like Winchester and Browning Court.
The gun is supposed to function flawless with any ammo.
If it failed to feed the particular round did have to less powder in it.
Try +P 380 acp ammo. I bet no ftf anymore.

On Forums the PK380 is known to be an jam-o-matic.

It shouldnt be though.
All ammo should work with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.