Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my new pk380 last week and didn't get a chance to fire it til today.

Two nights ago i discovered a small spring and a pin loose under the foam of the original case it came in. After reviewing schematics and taking it to the dealer I/we couldn't find where the parts were from. The dealer suggested firing it to make sure it was working properly as i hadn't had a chance to do so yet.

Well after 24 rounds through it today it jammed twice and then the frame got a chunk taken out of it. The dealer is sending it in for warranty and hopefully I'll get a new gun out of the deal. It looks like the front of the slide caught the inside of the frame under the slide spring as it was sliding back.

I still can say i like the gun even though this is very disappointing

How long have most of you waited to hear back from the company?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
When it (or another one) comes back, tell the dealer you'd like a credit of what you paid toward something else.

M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gunsmith suggested i may be able to do that depending on what the outcome is. I'd love a P99. Their price is $799 and i thought that seemed a little high. Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
384 Posts
The only credible parts diagram I know of is at
photobucket.com/partsmod16.jpg

I assume the spring was helical. The pin is likely from the same spot.
Helical spring/pin combos are at item-28/27, item-32/34, item-14/53.

Since the barrel-slide group lost alignment with the frame, it likely was not
latched at the locking catch. Items 28/27 (catch latchpin/latchpin spring)
might be the ones you found, since these keep the barrel engaged with the
cam part of the takedown catch.

The catch lockpin (21) can be in place even if the lockpin was not
property assembled.

And a dealer should not recommend firing a questionable gun until
a careful inspection is made.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A higher-res view of the same diagram is at
Better resolution parts diagram

If it was the latchpin/spring 28/27, then it likely would have
slipped out before the lockpin was installed.
The gun could appear normal and fire many times before the train wreck.
There's a J-spring that holds the lockpin in place in both positions,
as if the latchpin/spring was in place.

Maybe Helmut/Heidi should have a checkbox where it says
to shake the gun, then the box, and listen for loose parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man. Good info. I'd love to take a look after viewing this but i dropped the gun off already.

I was very puzzled when the dealer told me to fire the gun when there was a concern on my part of it not being sound.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The gunsmith suggested i may be able to do that depending on what the outcome is. I'd love a P99. Their price is $799 and i thought that seemed a little high. Sound reasonable?
$799 is full MSRP. I paid $620 for my P99c in August. If you call around to various places near you, I'd bet you can find one for a lot less than $799. Regarding the PK380, well, it seems like you sure managed to find a lemon. Had my GF gotten hers with extra bits floating around in the case, you can bet she'd have turned right around and returned it.

This shouldn't even be a warranty issue, it should be a customer service issue. After all, you were sold what appears to be a defective product. They ought to have either returned or exchanged it for you on the spot. Of course, that's just how we would have handled something like that back when I worked in electronics retail. In this instance, I don't really understand why a gun should be any different.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks man. Good info. I'd love to take a look after viewing this but i dropped the gun off already.

I was very puzzled when the dealer told me to fire the gun when there was a concern on my part of it not being sound.
If there's ever any concern about a gun being unsafe/unsound for any reason, the advice they should be giving is *not* to fire it. The advice they gave you could very easily have been dangerous - I would not spend money with them again for that reason alone.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hm, just happened to check Walther America's site, and I find that I was incorrect - full MSRP on the P99 (and compact) is $825, so I was off by a little bit, but $799 still seems like too much compared to what I paid.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You can buy used P99s in the $350 to $500 range every day. I just bought my third one and paid $375.00 for it. I have two .40 S&W and one 9MM. I also have them in AS and QA models. I would lean towards an AS in .40 S&W (my favorites) and you will find them to be real tack drivers.

If you want a .380, buy a used Interarms PPK or PPK/s. You will fall in love with those.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
SOG has been selling used P99s for some time now for $399; IIRC, these pistols have the QA trigger configuration and were police trade-ins. I saw a flyer the other day indicating that the price was coming down considerably for Christmas sales.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had my GF gotten hers with extra bits floating around in the case, you can bet she'd have turned right around and returned it.

This shouldn't even be a warranty issue, it should be a customer service issue. After all, you were sold what appears to be a defective product. They ought to have either returned or exchanged it for you on the spot. Of course, that's just how we would have handled something like that back when I worked in electronics retail. In this instance, I don't really understand why a gun should be any different.
I said the same thing. They tried to tell me it may be spare parts but it seems they would have been in a bag. It was gander mtn. so i thought the customer service would have been a little better. They had it on sale and a rebate so i paid $329 for it. Only reason i went to gander for it.

You can buy used P99s in the $350 to $500 range every day. I just bought my third one and paid $375.00 for it. I have two .40 S&W and one 9MM. I also have them in AS and QA models. I would lean towards an AS in .40 S&W (my favorites) and you will find them to be real tack drivers.

If you want a .380, buy a used Interarms PPK or PPK/s. You will fall in love with those.
I bought the .380 as a carry weapon but i will still get a p99 regardless of how this turns out. If they don't replace it with a brand new gun then I will demand my money back and take it elsewhere and forget about the .380.

BTW guys thanks for the help with everything. Very informative forum here

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Look at their auctions on GB. That's where the good prices are.
I saw they had a good rep on GB. I was just trying to get their link to work and I can't get the page to load. I'll try it later. They may be having website problems or something.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Hey there 07classic. I just wanted to chime in quick and affirm Iron Man's comment. I too looked at a PK380 and considered it for about two seconds until I turned it over and saw that trigger lock. Ooops. Instant disqualify.

At any rate, I ended up with an Interarms PPK and it's the gun that will go to the grave with me. It's perfect for all your needs... trust me. Just stay away from the Smith & Wesson one.

Just my $.02

-Pilotsteve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts