Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to the forum. Purchased my first gun about a year ago.
It is the PK380. Now I’m looking for a new gun with a little heavier ammo.
I am I love with the design and feature of this gun. Being left handed I love the paddle mag release.
Is there a similar gun that fires 9mm?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
PPS model 1 (aka Classic PPS) does 6, 7, or 8 rounds with paddles.
P99compact does 10, 15, 16 with paddles.
Both are outstanding weapons.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Unless you need to conceal it, I'd recommend the full-size P99 over the P99c. Even for an experienced shooter, it's noticeably easier to control, especially when trying to shoot quickly. All of the guns mentioned so far in this thread are inarguably built to a higher standard than the PK380, so they'll all be a nice step up in that department, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you need to conceal it, I'd recommend the full-size P99 over the P99c. Even for an experienced shooter, it's noticeably easier to control, especially when trying to shoot quickly. All of the guns mentioned so far in this thread are inarguably built to a higher standard than the PK380, so they'll all be a nice step up in that department, too.
Thank you. No, I don’t carry it.
Well only to the range.
I’m not opposed to a longer gun.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does your range rent guns. I love Walthers but there are other great guns on the market today. Shoot a bunch until you find one that you just can't do without.

Reactions: Amcoffeegirl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does your range rent guns. I love Walthers but there are other great guns on the market today. Shoot a bunch until you find one that you just can't do without.
The gun that I love is the pk380.
I would just like to have a higher caliber to shoot at the range and for home protection.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
The gun that I love is the pk380.
I would just like to have a higher caliber to shoot at the range and for home protection.
In that case the Walther PPQ Classic and P99 and the HK P30 and VP9 would all be excellent choices. The Walther paddles are longer and seem to give me a little more leverage than those on the HK pistols. However, the P30 is the only one of these that is hammer fired like your PK380.

I currently have the PPQ, P99C, and P30L V3. The P30 has the most comfortable grip. The PPQ has the best trigger and is the most accurate.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Seems to me that if you are not going to carry, are going to use it as a range gun and for home defense you ought to consider the magazine capacity and barrel length of the models with the paddle release. Longer barrel will generally be more accurate and larger mag capacity means fewer reloads at the range while increasing effectiveness if it is ever needed in a home defense incident.

Reactions: Lic0rice

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our 2nd pistol was the PK380 due to my wife's racking abilities. It is easy in that respect and a OK shooter.

There must be many great choices for you - Go to a Range that rents guns - no ones recommendations can match that fit and function when you find that next gun. 9mm is a great next gun.

PS I still wont sell the PK - $399 in 2013 w/1 mag - Ouch but that was then and today much better for us.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The full size p99 can be hard to find. Magnum Research entered into an agreement with Walther to produce the MR9. The lower is made by Walther with all the features of the original P99. The slide is produced by MR and has the distinctive look of MR pistols. The pistol can be found for around $350. – so an exceptional value for a pistol that is essentially a Walther. I own both the mr9 and the p99c. I see no difference in quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
and, speaking of 9mm....i love my Creed.........MANY trips to the range over the last year or so without a single malfunction of any kind......very accurate on plates at 25......then again, i'm a good aim....lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Being left handed I love the paddle mag release.

My wife and one son are left-handed, while myself and the other son are right handed. Two things prompted me to buy her a pk380: 1) ambidesterous mag release and safety, as you have also mentioned, 2) pk380 is exactly the same layout as the p22. we have a shooting range just outside our yard (we live in the country) and she does most of her practicing with the p22, since the ammo is so much cheaper. the p22 muscle memory is exactly the same as that of pk380. She has carried the pk380 about ten years now, and shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it, without any problem at all. she has had the p22 for 15 years, and the early ones had a problem with the slides cracking. her slide cracked after about 10,000 rounds and Walter replaced it free of charge. the new slides are made of a different metal and should not crack.

I realize I did not answer your question, but so far as I know the p22 - pk380 combo is unique in terms of 1) identical functional layout, allowing lots of cheap 22 cal practice and 2) completely ambidextrous for right-left handed users.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have also made this search. In particular, I was looking for:
  • 9mm
  • Hammer Fired
  • Paddle Release
  • At least no thicker than the PK380 (and I don't consider it to be a thin gun)

The only place that took me was to the HK P30 & P2000. I got a P30, the issue I have with it is that it is extremely thick. Yes, I should have looked at it more before purchasing it. As it is, it sits in my safe.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I got a P30, the issue I have with it is that it is extremely thick. Yes, I should have looked at it more before purchasing it. As it is, it sits in my safe.
That's surprising. With nine different backstraps and side panels the P30 and VP9 should be adjustable enough to fit anyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts