Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was shooting her walther pk380 today and it was having the common jamming/cycling issues you hear about but as she was getting ready to fire, the gun blew up. The magazine fell out and was smoking, the polymer grip has several large cracks and had shifted down, the safety no longer works, and the slide will not lock back. Luckily my wife was not injured other than some bruised knuckles.

Her gun is probably two years old and had had less than 500 rounds through the barrel.

Has anyone seen this before? I am a little concerned.
42C528C2-210A-4831-8E49-60EE9FBACBDB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Could a squib round got stuck in the barrel that was then followed by another shot?

Was she shooting reloads by any chance? Could one of the rounds have been double charged?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we were shooting factory rounds and it could have been a squib but it blew up without a trigger pull. We are sending it in to walther on Monday. Hopefully they will figure out what’s wrong

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
we were shooting factory rounds and it could have been a squib but it blew up without a trigger pull. We are sending it in to walther on Monday. Hopefully they will figure out what’s wrong
You mean your wife was holding the pistol and it just blew up? With a pull of the trigger? Just went BOOM all by itself?

What kind if ammo was your wife shooting?

Guns are not explosive. The ammo is though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She had just fired a round was getting back on target and boom the gun blew up the magazine dropped out on its own and was smoking. We are using Remington UMC factory loads

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
That's a weird one. I haven't heard of that before.

Was there anything stuck in the barrel?

Did one of the rounds blow up?

Again, the gun is plastic and steel, or at least some kind of metal. Those things aren't explosive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in the lane next to her and she just backed up and said her gun exploded. I don’t think there was anything in the barrel. We had fired about 70 rounds before this happened. Hopefully we can get some answers from walther

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Your wife isn't telling you something.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Your wife isn't telling you something.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
If she is not so experienced, she may have not been aware of what exactly was happening.

It will interesting to see what Walther says after looking at the gun.

I can't recall seeing a gun just explode. After a good thirty years of going to gun stores, I can't ever recall a gun just going off or blowing up while in a display case.

When things like this happen, there is inevitably ammunition involved.

Unless of course Walther has started shipping the PK380 version that doubles as a hand grenade.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fired a round out of battery??

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That is what it sounds like to me, but not having been there to see anything, I am not the expert. But with mag billowing smoke, frame bulged and cracked just a bit below the slide. It would make sense. Not the first pistol to fire out of battery, wont be the last.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds either like bullet set back that compressed the powder charge which can often cause a detonation rather than a normal powder burn or there was a bullet stuck half way down the barrel and the next shot blew it up. Usually though the barrel gets bulged when that happens. A round cooking off or a round with a high primer could have fired before the breach was fully shut.

40 S&W guns which are locked breach, not blow back like your Walther are known for blowing up when they have bullet set back with the 180 grain loads that are hand loaded hot. Several years ago Combat Handguns magazine reported that a Glock, A Browning High Power and a Ruger all blew sky high when shooting factory loads that were high pressure 180 grain factory loads that suffered bullet set back. This resulted in the ammo factories quietly throttling back the velocity on their 180 grain ammo. One of the major flaws in the 40 S&W design is that it has little to no air space in the cartridge when using heavy 180 grain bullets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife was shooting her walther pk380 today and it was having the common jamming/cycling issues you hear about but as she was getting ready to fire, the gun blew up. The magazine fell out and was smoking, the polymer grip has several large cracks and had shifted down, the safety no longer works, and the slide will not lock back. Luckily my wife was not injured other than some bruised knuckles.

Her gun is probably two years old and had had less than 500 rounds through the barrel.

Has anyone seen this before? I am a little concerned.
View attachment 92434
You say your wife was experiencing "common jamming and cycling problems", I think this is a good clue where to begin looking for the cause. Could you describe what happened just prior to the incident? Was the fired case still in the chamber? Did your wife experience a failure to fire and was in the process of racking the slide when she experienced a "hang fire"? While it is hard to assess exactly what happened from your single photo, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the slide or barrel. The force of an out of battery discharge would likely blow the magazine out of the grip and overstress the polymer frame in a manner suggested by the crack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You mentioned that your wife was having usual jams and cycling issues. How experienced is your wife with this firearm? Either the gun fired out of battery or it suffered a detonation while trying to cycle the gun with a fresh round.. This is very strange. Thankfully she was not injured. Walther will want to know as much information as you can supply.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Has anyone seen this before? I am a little concerned. View attachment 92434
My wife carried her PK380 for more than ten years, and put hundreds (maybe thousands) of practice rounds through it (much of the practice was with her p22, which has exact same layout as pk380, or there would have been more rounds through the pk380). no trouble of any kind.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Could be several things that caused this. Send it back to Ft. Smith. It has a lifetime warranty. Is there any reason a PPS would not make a good replacement? 9mm and stiffer recoil spring so harder to rack. S&W makes an easy to rack .380 Shield. Kinda ugly. MIght consider something else if she has lost confidence in it. I am constantly amazed at damaged guns like this where the shooter walked away uninjured. Thankful for that. Have seen photos of similar Ruger LCPs, Smith Bodyguards, P22s, etc. Likely the round didn't fully seat and fired out of battery. Could have been a bad round. Inspect your ammo while in the box to make sure none have had the lead shoved down into the case when compared to the others. Perhaps she pulled the trigger, perhaps not...most semi autos won't fire if much out of battery. Cutouts under the slide disconnect the trigger bar. Not familiar with this pistol but some like the LCP show a good deal of unsupported brass above the feed ramp and if +P ammo or an over pressurized round is fired the bottom of the case blows out pretty much destroying the pistol. Haven't seen a report of injury but the pistol was certainly destroyed. Ear and eye protection at all times. Don't replace it with a CCP. 1917

·
Registered
70 Posts
She had just fired a round was getting back on target and boom the gun blew up the magazine dropped out on its own and was smoking. We are using Remington UMC factory loads
Must be Chinese hackers...

I can't even figure out the mechanics of how this could happen.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts