Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a New Walther / S&W PK-380 Today and went to the range sent 100 rounds down range, ammo not going up the ramp correctly and jamming, ammo primer getting hit with the firing pin way off center and not firing, spent rounds not ejecting then it would fire correctly a few times then jam again. I don't think the slide is supposed be in the open position with no mag, is it? What do I do about all the other problems. OMG I feel so ripped off by S&W. PLEASE SOME ADVICE??, I must use this firearm in the performance of my duties.:mad::confused::(

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just curious .......... what kind of duties let you use such a weak round as the .380?
If your duties involve life-threatening situations, DO NOT use the gun you are posting about!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
To confirm, is this a Walther pk380 (formerly sold and serviced by S&W),
or is it a Walther ppk380 made by S&W ?

This confusion came up recently in another thread.

This is not the time for 9x19 v 9short debates.
(The 9x19 wins, though with some operation issues in a small gun.)
That said, the 380 (9short) is a marginal round, and I would
only use fmj ammo in order to assist with reliability and penetration.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Assuming this is not for a ppk380 …

"ammo not going up the ramp correctly and jamming"
Are you using flat point/hollow point ammo ? If the ramp
has not been deburred/polished, then flat bullets are trouble.
Or if the case rim is not trapped by the extractor,
then the bullet nose can rise too much.

"hit with the firing pin way off center and not firing,"
Can you estimate the distance off center ? If that distance is under 1/32",
then the gap between primer and slide face might be too large.
If the distance off center is more than 1/32", the solution might be a new slide.

"spent rounds not ejecting"
I assume you mean extracting, since ejection issues are rare.
Extraction is a common issue if the extractor is not close to the case rim.

"I don't think the slide is supposed be in the open position with no mag"
If you remove the mag the slide will remain locked back.

Normally, a trip to Walther Arms would be indicated, but maybe
the gun seller can help with some minor problem.
With careful study, you might be able to nail down the problem.
There is a general consensus that the guns have an avoidable
frequency of issues when shipped from the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I find it curious that some PK380s seem to be problematic while others have few if any issues. Seems like a traceable manufacturing quality issue to me.

I bought a new PK380 in March, received it in June (three jeers for Maryland), and have sent about 400 rounds downrange with only two instances of FTF/FTE, (and one of those was with my very first magazine, so it may have been my first-time shooter "limp wrist").

I've used nothing but PNC "bronze" rounded-tip FMJ ammo (no JHP or "flat nosed" such as Winchester, no Bulgarian/Russian ammo, etc.), but I did that intentionally, to ensure I didn't complicate break-in and initial lubrication cycles with any possible design issues. I suppose any design concerns could emerge when (if) I switch to the other ammo varieties, but at least I'll know it's not due to the pistol's break-in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious .......... what kind of duties let you use such a weak round as the .380?
If your duties involve life-threatening situations, DO NOT use the gun you are posting about!!
If I had my choice I would carry my Colt .45,
However the state wont let PI's carry anything but; .38 ,357 revolvers or .380, 9mm semi autos.

I like the .380 it's big enough and small enough to stop a threat and go under my jacket, I'm not planning on any big ass gun battles, also I am a believer in 1 shot to stop the threat.
The last gun fight I was in I was using my belt fead M-240, but I don't think they want me carrying something like that. LOL :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
eddbrowne:

Thanks for the info, I cleaned and oiled it and I am heading back to the range in a few to put another 100 down range, if the problem persist I will ask the gun shop to look at it and or send it to S&W for refurb.
Just kinda upset that I had all the problems with a new gun. :confused:

I'll post later today with results.:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
SoMDGpa:

Yes, I am hearing that a lot, like a hit and miss situation when buying the gun.
I cleaned and oiled it and I am heading back to the range in a few to put another 100 down range that will make (200), if the problem persist I will ask the gun shop to look at it and or send it to S&W for refurb.
Just kinda upset that I had all the problems with a new gun. :confused:

I'll post later today with results.:cool:

·
Registered
460 Posts
If I had my choice I would carry my Colt .45,
However the state wont let PI's carry anything but; .38 ,357 revolvers or .380, 9mm semi autos.

I like the .380 it's big enough and small enough to stop a threat and go under my jacket, I'm not planning on any big ass gun battles, also I am a believer in 1 shot to stop the threat.
The last gun fight I was in I was using my belt fead M-240, but I don't think they want me carrying something like that. LOL :eek:

NOW your posting name makes sense! LOL
Thanks for your service!!

As a retired cop, I can carry anything the LA State Police allows their troopers to carry, since that is who I qualify through. My carry guns are either a S&W Model 645 .45 ACP or a Colt Agent .38 Special revolver. 9 times out of 10 I opt for the smaller Agent. Before I bought the Agent, the only gun I carried concealed was the Smith 645.

My other main carry candidates are a P-38 (great gun, but in 9 MM and not much smaller than the 645, so why pick it over a .45?) and an Uberti SAA in .45 Colt (great manstopper round but the gun is kinda outdated for real defense work). Seriously I will never carry either of those for S/D. They were bought as fun guns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just got back from the range I fired 100 rounds. 26 FTF, 15 FTE, the slide would not move forward about 6 times and about 10 rounds would not fire. WTF!:mad: The last bullet shot and I ejected the mag the slide was still stuck open and yanked back hard and pushed forward to close.
I used 50 rounds of; PMC FMJ 90gr and 50 rounds of American Eagle FMJ 95gr
The gun is New and 1 day out of the box, I took it to the Gunsmith there and he is sending it back to S&W he said 2 weeks:rolleyes:
He also said, "he had sold more than 100 of the PK 380's and had no complaints but this one, should have never left the factory." So I'm waiting...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I just got back from the range I fired 100 rounds. 26 FTF, 15 FTE, the slide would not move forward about 6 times and about 10 rounds would not fire. WTF!:mad: The last bullet shot and I ejected the mag the slide was still stuck open and yanked back hard and pushed forward to close.
I used 50 rounds of; PMC FMJ 90gr and 50 rounds of American Eagle FMJ 95gr
The gun is New and 1 day out of the box, I took it to the Gunsmith there and he is sending it back to S&W he said 2 weeks:rolleyes:
He also said, "he had sold more than 100 of the PK 380's and had no complaints but this one, should have never left the factory." So I'm waiting...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I guess it's 26 ftfeed, 10 ftfire, and 15 ftx.
I don’t get the 6 slide failures to move forward, unless they
were each with an empty mag, which would be normal.

You had asked before whether the slide remains open with mag out.
Firing 12 mags should lock the slide open 12 times, and only close
when the next mag is inserted and the slide is disengaged.

Here are two unfortunate realities often seen on this forum ….
-- The 2 weeks will likely turn into 4 weeks or more.
-- A problem might not be fixed before return.

Considering that you need a 380 or 9 for work (or one of those revolvers),
maybe you should insist that a new replacement pk be provided within
a few days, or that a refund be received within a few days.

I don't have the answer for what to buy with any refund,
but I could share some thoughts through PM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This guy from NW fire arms said it best he is having the exact same problems I am having;
copy and paste most of what he said;

I was using American Eagle (95gr) 100 r. I had MULTIPLE fail to feed, fail to fire, and fail to return to battery. Biggest problem was the failure to return to battery. On several rounds it would fire, eject the shell, insert a new shell in the barrel, but stop about 1/2 from close. A little push of my hand would close it and she would fire again.
Several misfires were experienced. I fired a round, click no bang, the gun was returned to double action, I just pulled the trigger again (full pull) and she fired...
:eek:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Another strike against a DA semiauto. A new pull on the trigger gives you a 2nd chance at what might be a dud primer.
With a DA revolver, a new pull on the trigger brings up a whole fresh new round.

Man, I am about to talk myself out of ever carrying a semiauto again!
:eek:
The revolver is proving to be much more reliable (as if we all don't know that already).

·
Registered
384 Posts
[starts to]"insert a new shell in the barrel, but stops [halfway] from closing.
A little push of my hand would close it and she would fire again."

See …..
www.waltherforums.com/forum/pk380/30225-hammer-slide-contact.html
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pk380/19705-slide-help-please.html
When the slide is about ¾" from closing, the hammer corner snags
a recess in front of the safety block. Combined with rail friction, the
hammer can snag enough to stop the slide. I carefully removed metal
from the sharp hammer corner, reducing rail pressure and hammer snagging.

Several misfires ... click no bang …

I just pulled the trigger again and she fired...

Assuming the the slide is fully closed to battery position …
You mentioned off-center strikes before. More than 1/32" from center ?
The firing pin squeezes the primer charge between the primer cup and
the anvil cone. When the strike is well off center, then the dent might
not cause detonation, but a second strike can then finish the job.

Added to off center strikes: if there is grease or thick oil in the firing pin
channel, the energy of the inertial firing pin can be reduced. The pk
firing pin should not be removed unless necessary (nasty retaining plug).
Dripping gun cleaner through that channel should be
enough to degrease, clean, and preserve.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Edd
I would love to know what the problem rate is...or make that what the user satisfaction rate is...for the PK380 models since the inception of this Walther model...?
Has anyone researched or posted any broad numbers...?
Seems to me that there are too many queries and even vitreous filled message on this blog site regarding the PK380 model…stating all the dissatisfactions/or/problem. This situation cannot be very satisfying to the owners of the Walther brand ...!
Do you know if someone at Walther monitors this blog site?

·
Registered
384 Posts
During an online q&a session that this forum held with the US Waltherarms
chief several months ago, he indicated that this forum is monitored.
It has become clear that the PK is produced (mostly) by Umarex in the Arnsberg
area of Germany. Umarex owns Walther, and it had mainly produced non-lethal
guns commonly sold in Europe. The pk seems to be one of its first firearms.

The pk satisfaction rate is not available to anyone that I know of, but I think
this site had one of those voting threads long ago, with a bar graph.
I don't recall the results, but I think they were mixed.
My own work on the pk was largely improvements to operation and reliability,
but I am not surprised that "some" guns have problems.

My wife was painted into a corner on gun selection due to her weak grip strength.
For a defense weapon, I think Umarex has failed at times in its duty of care to
correct design and production issues. Even though most problems are correctable
with fairly minor tweaks, the service delivered by Smith was unreliable and slow.
I expect the Waltherarms service to be better.

The sad thing is that the corrective work is not complicated; in design, production, service.
(It seems to me that control of the safety spool injection/sintering process failed at times.)
The most common flaw seems to be improper location of the extractor claw relative to
the case rim, correctable by removing the extractor and filing a bit off the stop nose.

Reactions: R_che

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Many of these same issues are identical to what buyers experience with the P22, another Umarex creation. A little more attention to detail, a little more care in assembly, a few minor tweaks and changes, and the pistol would be wholly serviceable without requiring ... those same tweaks and changes from the people who buy it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i only shoot fiocchi fmj, and no FTF/FTE problems so far, maybe OP can try to see if it's ammo related
also this is not handled by S&W anymore, everything goes back to walther arms

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks Edd...I hope the new owners eventually get it right.
In my M&A business experience...too many venerable consumer brands have been sold to/bought by well intentioned folks...who in many cases...have little inherent expertise to rely or fall back upon, when the eventual product or service problems occur. Even though, as in this case, the problems seem to be self inflicted...?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts