Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of searching I can finally add a PPK-L of the Swiss Army to my collection. In 1965 the army acquired 415 pieces of this lightweight frame type and designated it as "Pistole 65".

Unlike other small arms, it was not issued personally, but would have been given to the troops for certain functions only. One of these functions would have been that of the pilots. For this reason the pistol is often called "Fliegerpistole 65" (Air Force pistol 65) unofficially too.

The gun differs from a commercial PPK-L of that time only by three additional stamps. On the left side of the slide and on the chamber there is the Swiss proof mark called "Berner Probe" (symbol of an inverted B and a P) whereas on the frame there is the acceptance stamp of the "Eidgenössische Konstruktionswerkstätte" (Swiss Federal Constructions Works, its sign consists of the letters K and W and a Swiss Cross) which is part of RUAG Defence today.

The Pistole 65 series also includes 315 pieces of the all-steel PPK acquired in 1972 and a very small number of additional exemplars acquired earlier for testing purposes.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Wow! Just Wow! Lovely and unique. Something we never see here in the States.

Reactions: pilkguns and Balogh

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
I'm jealous. Guess I won't be purchasing one of those...much less ever seeing one. What a beauty and in the correct caliber too. 1917

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never seen an offer for a Swiss Army PPK or PPK-L outside of Switzerland. In Switzerland they are rare too, and the three small stamps typically triple the demanded price compared to a standard commercial PPK-L.

By the way, in the sixties and the seventies the Swiss Army had to supply four different calibres for its handguns:
  • 7,5mm (revolvers)
  • 7,65mm Parabellum (Luger pistols)
  • 9mm Parabellum (SIG pistols 210 and 220)
  • 7,65mm Browning (Walther PPK and PPK-L)

·
Registered
620 Posts
outstanding

Reactions: Balogh

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congratulations, Balogh, that is a beautiful pistol.

I also have a Walther PPK-L in 7.65 Browning / 32 Auto, although mine, unlike yours, is a ‘normal’ one from 1967.

I have never understood why the PPK-L was not more popular. According to my scale its weight is 482 grams, which is not very light compared to the all-steel PPK but still makes a difference. The recoil of my PPK-L is a little bit snappy but not really uncomfortable and in any event it is better than the PP/PPK’s recoil in 9 mm short / 380 Auto.

Over here, in Belgium, PPK-Ls pop out from time to time, usually in very good or perfect condition. Mine was unfired and I think I paid 450 EUR for it.

Enjoy your gun.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your kind comments. Actually I like the steel versions of the PPK a little more because of their finish. But if I had to wear one all day, I would choose the lightweight version for sure. Okay, I would also have preferred to carry an all-steel PPK instead of my personal service gun which is a Pistole 75 (SIG P220).

By the way, I forgot to share an interesting additional information. 412 out of 415 guns can be identified as PPK-L of the Swiss Army because their serial numbers are known to the public. Therefore it is not possible to fake a Pistole 65 easily.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess you'll be keeping that one, eh?
Yes, I do. I must say I've spent almost 10 years looking for a former Swiss Army model like this. At some auctions in the past I was present, but every time the price rose above 2000 Swiss Francs (equivalent to about $2000), I stopped bidding. At an auction in 2011, the Swiss Army PPK-L with S/N 515512 was sold for more than 5000 Swiss Francs (~$5000). This was probably the highest price ever paid for such a gun.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, I do. I must say I've spent almost 10 years looking for a former Swiss Army model like this. At some auctions in the past I was present, but every time the price rose above 2000 Swiss Francs (equivalent to about $2000), I stopped bidding. At an auction in 2011, the Swiss Army PPK-L with S/N 515512 was sold for more than 5000 Swiss Francs (~$5000). This was probably the highest price ever paid for such a gun.
Well, your patience paid off as that is a beautiful weapon and a fine addition to your collection. Given the rarity and pristine condition of an example like yours, I can certainly see why they command such a high price. You are justifiably proud to have finally obtained one and I'm sincerely happy for you. (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts