Walther Forums banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
The new PPK/S indeed looks nicer than expected, at least the stainless version. I wonder how the blued (should I say black?) versions look like in the meantime. Those first shown models had a rather ugly finish and reminded me of a cheap toy.

Whether and when the models will be on the market doesn't matter to me fortunately. Due to the very unattractive calibre I will probably limit myself to only one exemplar for my collection anyway. I assume that the new models will not be officially offered in Europe; so far there are no indications at all. Probably they will have to be imported individually.
Nothing looks nicer than a beautifully blued gun

That being said, I'd rather Walther use a more modern finish and do it well than deliver a poorly done blued pistol. I suspect the processes and talent needed to first rate bluing are there any more, at least on an industrial scale.

·
Registered
107 Posts
they shot bullet tooth Tony six times with a PPK .380 and "he no die"

In a flashback sequence, Charlie (Jason Ninh Cao) is shown shooting Tony six times with a stainless Walther PPK pistol (he later had the bullets molded into gold, and two mounted in his jaw to replace his missing teeth, hence his sobriquet "Bullet Tooth Tony". As Charlie shoots Tony six times before running out of ammunition, it can be inferred that it is chambered in .380 ACP

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The new PPK(/S) is offered in Satin Stainless Steel and Melonite over Stainless Steel.

While not quite as pretty as traditional Bluing, Melonite is far more durable/corrosion-resistant. Also, application is as simple as boiling the slide, frame, and barrel in a salt bath solution, so you're all but guaranteed to get a uniform finish.

When/if the new production PPK is released, then I'll most likely be getting one in the Melonite finish, simply because I already own a S&W PPK/S in Stainless Steel.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
That fixed rear sight is a throwback to the old Zella-Mehlis PPK. I would prefer one that's drift adjustable. I'm sure they did it that way for cost but it looks pretty smooth so maybe it's less likely to snag on clothing during the draw.

I don't think it looks too bad but I'll pass on .380 ACP. If they ad a .32 ACP or .22LR in the future I might pick one up regardless of finish.

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
That sight is a puzzlement. Traditionally, Walthers offer a great sight picture. Wonder what this one looks like thru' the sights?
Moon

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
Thnx, Redcat. The more recent 'dot the i' sights were always a help for us 'visually challenged' guys. It seems an odd place to save a nickel.
Moon

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
While not quite as pretty as traditional Bluing, Melonite is far more durable/corrosion-resistant. Also, application is as simple as boiling the slide, frame, and barrel in a salt bath solution, so you're all but guaranteed to get a uniform finish.
Is it possible that the PPK presented at SHOT show 2016 featured a (durable?) Melonite treated slide put on a blued (older?) frame? This could explain why I can't recognise a uniform finish. It's obvious that this exemplar is far from beautiful.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
They were made in two different places.
Glocks and other, modern, striker fired wonders come with new, hi tech finishes and materials that are hugely resistant to about anything. I've hiked and sweated on a G43 with no harm and no maintenance.
The only good news is they start out as fugly as they will ever get.
Moon

Reactions: Firemanjones

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
Oh quit yer belly-aching. The latest batch of photos actually looks great.

Concur on the stainless guns. The 'blued' ones remind me of the Inglis HiPowers with their flat, parked finish on a classic design.
Moon

Reactions: Jimmo952
101 - 115 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.