Walther Forums banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
It is certainly a topic we've beaten like a rented mule. The new guns aren't nice enough to be of interest to collectors, and there are more viable alternatives for a daily carry piece. We shall see.
Moon

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
9mm???????

the new PPK, if it ever makes it's appearance will be in .380 ACP, now I know that some call it 9mm Kurz, or 9mm Browning, but today when you say 9mm it is generally taken to mean 9x19.

·
Registered
3 Posts
9mm???????

the new PPK, if it ever makes it's appearance will be in .380 ACP, now I know that some call it 9mm Kurz, or 9mm Browning, but today when you say 9mm it is generally taken to mean 9x19.
Thanks for that clarification. I know a .380 ACP is referred to as a 9mm Shot in the USA, but was not familiar with the German description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,925 Posts
9x17, 9mm kurz, 9mm short, .380ACP, 9mmK etc. are all terms you might find in reference to the same caliber.

As well as, "9mm Browning," and "9mm corto (Spanish and Italian)."

·
Registered
14 Posts
They both look like I applied the finish in my garage. Been waiting impatiently for these to be reintroduced. I’ve written Walther a few times over the past couple of years always the same answer. I hate to think these are what I’ve been waiting for. I should be shot for selling my Manurhin!

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Nothing to see here...move along....

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
They both look like I applied the finish in my garage. Been waiting impatiently for these to be reintroduced. [snip] I should be shot for selling my Manurhin!
Yep, why, and that error can be rectified, in that order. :p

Reactions: Jimbo80

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ugh!

Without knowing how big, or small, 153's hands are (sorry for getting personal 153 :D ), and without having a vintage, German-made PPK laying next to it, it seems to me like the new one has gone back to the pre-PPK/S, "real" PPK-height frame, but at the expense of adding that extended beavertail to eliminate slide-bite. (Does it REALLY need to be that long?)

And what's going on at the rear, bottom of the slide? Why ruin the sleek lines of the original with that stair-step hump?

And is the entire slide like 1/8" bigger in thickness and height? It looks like it is over-hanging the frame vs. a German PPK.

The stamping(?) on the slide does look hideous like it was cast into the slide from a mold. I'm hoping this is because of the finish... The font size is too big as well.

And speaking of finish... Again, not looking at it in person, but it looks like a bad Dura-coat job, done by someone who had never done it before... If they want a good, modern finish like Melonite, I applaud that, but let's be respectful to the classic design this is. Kolene offers three types of Melonite: Q, QP, and QPQ. "Q" stands for "quench," and "P" stands for "polish." The Melonite finish which looks the best is QP, because the object is polished as the last step, leaving a slightly brighter look. It will never look like slow rust blue, but I think QP looks decent.

Why can't Walther just make an exact duplicate of the German-made PPK, but in Arkansas? If you want to "improve" it, maybe provide for interchangeable front sights (so an owner could upgrade to nightsights, if desired), extend the beavertail 3/8"–1/2" (if that much), and use the Kolene QP finish. And don't charge "made in Germany" prices. That package would sell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to concur with the terms "ugly" and "disappointing". The degree of polish or shine on the stainless steel model is just 'tragic', and the length of the tang seems WAY over the top!

I just recently picked up an Interarms .32 ACP in stainless for the wife, and in the pre-purchase research that I did, all I read (or heard) about was "hammer bite". It was almost enough to dissuade me from the Walthers line altogether, but we now own a .32 and .380 (both Interarms), and in neither one of those pistols has hammer-bite proven to be a problem.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm puzzled by the mere fact that they're even 'making' them???

I don't know how accurate this information is, but when I spoke to their Fort Smith office a couple of weeks ago, the gentleman that answered the phone there said that U.S. production was/is prohibited by law, and that it could not proceed here in the future until they (the Walther/Arkansas folks) receive some sort of legal release (or authorization) from the German government, which has apparently been pending for years.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... the gentleman that answered the phone there said that U.S. production was/is prohibited by law, and that it could not proceed here in the future until they (the Walther/Arkansas folks) receive some sort of legal release (or authorization) from the German government, which has apparently been pending for years.
I'm soaking my pillow in tears.

M

·
Registered
929 Posts
Still can't figure out what the German government has to do with the US production of the PPK. Being the gun isn't being produced in Germany or imported into the US it should just be a business decision by Walther/ Umerex or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Still can't figure out what the German government has to do with the US production of the PPK. Being the gun isn't being produced in Germany or imported into the US it should just be a business decision by Walther/ Umerex or am I missing something?
Licensed production elsewhere still counts as small arms exports in the eyes of the German government.

Although by now IDK anymore if the Walther Arkansas guys saying the same thing I said means I was right all along, or if they're now just repeating what they read here on the forums, LOL.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Licensed production elsewhere still counts as small arms exports in the eyes of the German government.

Although by now IDK anymore if the Walther Arkansas guys saying the same thing I said means I was right all along, or if they're now just repeating what they read here on the forums, LOL.
I agree. Its hard to understand just what's going on with the whole German government thing, or whether the information you're being provided is even credible from one moment to the next, but I will say this much . . . the guy that I spoke with there at Fort Smith wasn't ambiguous in any way. He was quite clear. His position was as follows:

1) That they lacked the legal authority to produce the firearm here in the U.S.;

2) That they've been in negotiations with the German government in some form or another for a considerable period of time; and

3) That he didn't see it being resolved any time soon.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.