Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Saw one tagged for $70 at the pawn shop on Monday, a few guns away from the used Walther P5 priced at $1200.

They shouldn't be allowed in the same display case.

Like the Louvre displaying a cow-pie next Michelangelo's David.
Michelangelo's David is on display at the Galleria dell'Accademia in Florence, Italy :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Isn't the whole garbage going on because the government hasn't approved the German made slides to be put on the, what looks like S&W carryover frames?

I just visited the Walther site, figure maybe these will be available again in 2020?

Either way, jury is out for me on these, I always wanted a PPK for my James Bond nostalgia but Manhurin/Interarms both had sexier lines. I may buy one, if they come out in the CCP/PPS price point :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, they look cheap.

The slide inscriptions look somehow "cast" into the metal. I agree, the Smith PPKs looked better. Unless this is some kind of a pre-production mockup, I gotta say... a little disappointing.

I guess I'll be sticking with my '74 Ulm /S. If, of course, I can get the mag drop issue sorted out...

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
They're both ugly as sin. Interesting serial number on the stainless, AAD00158. That implies there are some 30,157 preceding examples ready to go.
Maybe the serial number on the stainless sin is rather AA000158 but interesting anyway because it features the last digit being a check digit. If that's the case, a single trash can is enough for storage. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,925 Posts
Don’t you mean 300,157? AAA00000 to AAA99999 = 100,000 x 3.

I’m not buying it either.

:D

Guess math isn't my strong suit . . . at least when I posted that. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,925 Posts
Maybe the serial number on the stainless sin is rather AA000158 but interesting anyway because it features the last digit being a check digit. If that's the case, a single trash can is enough for storage. :rolleyes:

I blew up on screen the photo. It definitely looked to be AAD rather than AA0.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Bit of a delay here, I took these snaps at the NRA Show in Dallas. I saw the same pistols last year in Atlanta, but didn't think to take pictures. This year I did, but like many others my Photobucket account has been locked - and I put off signing up for a new hosting site.

My 2 cents ... they look even worse in person!

Good lord. Why would anyone want one of those when so many LNIB Interarms examples exist.

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
The more I study the blued version, the cheaper it looks. Compare the ‘new’ Walther with the roll mark and blueing on this Ulm PP. Yikes!

So yah know, God hates a showoff, Geo! :)
That is a really handsome pistol, and a swan next to the ugly duckling new version.
I've said it before here; Smith & Wesson can still make a nicely finished stainless revolver (the blued versions aren't as polished as old times , but are still well shaped). Why is it so tough to do it with the Walther design, not that Smith did such a great job with that.
Moon

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Good lord. Why would anyone want one of those when so many LNIB Interarms examples exist.
While I don't find the new ones appealing, availability is one reason why these new pistols may just sell well. In my area LNIB Interarms pistols simply DO NOT exist. Finding any PP series pistol is like finding a hen with teeth.

Collectors who are willing to pay any price, you know who you are, have allowed dealers and other collectors to either hoard what pistols do exist, or raise prices to silly levels, so if these new guns can come in at an affordable level, they will sell. That is if they ever come to market.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
So yah know, God hates a showoff, Geo! :)
That is a really handsome pistol, and a swan next to the ugly duckling new version.
Not intentionally showing off (much), I just happened to have the link handy because I posted the photo elsewhere on the WF shortly before. But, it drives home the point that pre-Umarex Walther was capable of something that they no longer are. Even using MIM and the bold-font pre-stamped slide markings, there is no excuse for forcing such a clunky and crude finish on the PPK’s inherently elegant design. Sure, you can find this ‘new’ gun for half the money of a nice-condition Interarms, Ulm, or Manurhin PP-series pistol, but why would you? Life is too short to own junk. My $0.02

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Not intentionally showing off (much), I just happened to have the link handy because I posted the photo elsewhere on the WF shortly before. But, it drives home the point that pre-Umarex Walther was capable of something that they no longer are. Even using MIM and the bold-font pre-stamped slide markings, there is no excuse for forcing such a clunky and crude finish on the PPK’s inherently elegant design. Sure, you can find this ‘new’ gun for half the money of a nice-condition Interarms, Ulm, or Manurhin PP-series pistol, but why would you? Life is too short to own junk. My $0.02

I just began my classic Walther collection one week ago.

Keep the value of NIB/+95% condition and reality of superior quality/fit & finish of the classics on the DL while I beat the bushes for more exceptional examples to purchase.

I'm gonna need a bigger safe!

21 - 40 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.