Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a delay here, I took these snaps at the NRA Show in Dallas. I saw the same pistols last year in Atlanta, but didn't think to take pictures. This year I did, but like many others my Photobucket account has been locked - and I put off signing up for a new hosting site.

My 2 cents ... they look even worse in person!

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
They're both ugly as sin. Interesting serial number on the stainless, AAD00158. That implies there are some 30,157 preceding examples ready to go.

But I'm not buying that one.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Those pics make me feel good I'm snatching up every NIB/NOS P5 I come across.

The new all metal Walther look terrible.

Bring back the P5 Walther, in 45acp!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Looks exactly like the S&W frames :(
Maybe old stock? The ones that were featured a few months ago in that digital magazine article appeared to have been better machined and almost looked like Interarms quality.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Looks exactly like the S&W frames :(
Maybe old stock? The ones that were featured a few months ago in that digital magazine article appeared to have been better machined and almost looked like Interarms quality.

Not old stock. Fort Smith went with the same redesigned tang, which though not as aesthetic to some, I find to be an improvement. To me, it makes the gun better balanced, easier to control, faster on followup shots, and reduces Walther bite.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yep, looks just like the S&W I have and I like it just fine (Now). Had some issues that Walther repaired for free. Good to know that I can save my money and just use the one I have now.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not old stock. Fort Smith went with the same redesigned tang, which though not as aesthetic to some, I find to be an improvement. To me, it makes the gun better balanced, easier to control, faster on followup shots, and reduces Walther bite.
The design is not what I was referring to. The extended tang was to be expected. What I am dissatisfied with is the apparent lack of machining on the frame and slide. It looks exactly like the S&W quick production model that was made in the USA. I expected better from Walther and thought they would do a better job since they were going to be producing this next run. Hence why I questioned if it could possibly be remnants of the old S&W production that they were trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Keep in mind how many people handled these guns with who knows what on their hands. Maybe the finish is garbage but a display firearm that's not wiped down regularly isn't going to look good.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Isn't the "blued" PPK actually Melonite or some such modern treatment? The modern finishes and treatments are practical but aesthetically they are not in the same ballpark as the beautiful bluing of old.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These pistols do look like re-purposed S&W models with the exception of the rear sight. However the S&W version actually looks better, there is a "Quasimodo" ambiance the samples exude that is hard to describe.

I felt they were made using MIM, but don't recall seeing any mold lines. The Walther salesman was saying the problems with the importation of German parts had been resolved, guns would be for sale "soon".

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I don't particularly like the new pistols but at least I noticed a slight improvement on the black model that after all still looks a little bit like a real gun: the slide legend is now more balanced because of the smaller fonts. I won't comment anything on the stainless version. I even have to admit that I'm not familiar with toys and pimp accessories.

Here's the photo of an earlier phantom PPK shown recently at SHOT Show 2016:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Fit and finish looks almost as good as a Hipoint.

Saw one tagged for $70 at the pawn shop on Monday, a few guns away from the used Walther P5 priced at $1200.

They shouldn't be allowed in the same display case.

Like the Louvre displaying a cow-pie next Michelangelo's David.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts