Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

The only reason I asked is, under a flashlight, the bluing on the direct underside of the farm is all...blue. On the left and right sides, it still shows black.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The frame and slide are different materials, the frame being anodized aluminum alloy and the slide being blued steel. They will have different shades because they are different metals to begin with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, so its very likely that the blue finish I am seeing is original?

In the bottom picture, where I circle, you can see where it fades from black to the blue tint again, which I also found odd.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The alloy frame was finished in the same color, sort of a shiny blackish finish all around, different from the matte greyish frame and barrel.

Environmental influences, wear and storage can discolor finishes, especially the relatively crude utility finishes like on these guns.

Finishes also do not photograph particularly well, especially in uneven artificial light like in your photos. Moving the light source a few inches can create different color hues. Frankly, your pictures give me no idea what you’re concerned about.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So if you don’t shine a flashlight, it isn’t noticable? That would lead me to conclude it’s most likely a less-than-perfectly-even application of the original finish. Remember that aluminum alloys chemically can’t be “blued” in the traditional sense.

PS: Ok, saw the photos you just added. That frontstrap does look a bit odd. Maybe it was worn and some clown tried some touch-up cold blue on it, although from what I’ve heard that doesn’t hold well on alloy. Have you tried rubbing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, it appears black without light. Just struck me as weird.

Does your frame appear blue under bright light?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think that is just natural fading and thinning of the dye used to originally color the frame black. Anodizing is actually almost clear, the anodizing is then dyed black before being sealed.

Over a period of time, some dyes will fade due to thinning from wear and sometimes begin to change color from UV exposure depending on their composition. I have seen some 1950's-1960's Beretta alloy pistol frames that were once black turn a golden copper color.

Back in the 1970's my father had the black anodized aluminum mounting bracket for his fish finder on the boat turn a bronze color from the UV light from exposure to the sun after a couple of summers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats normal..I have several like it (The French contract ones). I think they're pretty cool.
They look like Blue Anodized Aluminum. Its NOT a refinish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts