Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Splurged on a weapon for myself at the end of the year. Walther has nothing new that I would want and I decided that $1000+ was too much for a weapon like the P88 that I would not carry. So, I found a smoking deal on a Beretta PX4 Storm FS in 9mm that looked like it had 2-3 magazines through it in its lifetime.

I like that it's polymer with a hammer (and commander style at that) and a decocker. 17+1, rotating barrel is different and makes it a very smooth shooter. Came with 3 magazines and its case. Ran 200 rounds of FMJ thorough it today and it was flawless. Put 50 of Federal HST 124gr through it and that was flawless also. Tight groups, easy recovery, nice metal sights. The only thing I don't like is the mag release (its not a paddle) because it sticks out too far and its texturing is VERY aggressive. So, for $15 I ordered the 3 set replacement buttons and will try them when they arrive.

Overall, very happy with the purchase. I know some folks have complained about Gun Broker but I've bought 5 weapons off the site and have had zero issues. This one arrived in 2 days, the guy at the company called me to remind me that they do 3% for CC's (I already knew but appreciated that he was checking) and we had a nice conversation. All in all, a terrific buy IMHO. :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Looks like a sweet shooter. And new. I've done four purchases through GB. Never had any problems. But I ask a lot of questions and read reviews.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Rotating barrels for the maximum win!

I almost purchased one just for that.
Why don't you? My Sig/Mauser M2 is super accurate and pushes straight back. So soft and smooth. If only it didn't have that 8.8 pound DAO trigger, lol. Can only shoot it for 50 rounds or so before it becomes painful.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A PX4 was my first poly pistol and I liked it enough to add a CX4 to the arsenal. They make an excellent pair. Both have been malfunction free, very accurate, and a pleasure to shoot.

It's always been a puzzler to me as to why they are/were such slow sellers.
This PX4 has made me curious about the CX4.

Funny but the CX 4 is listed as in production but you can't find a new one for love or money. Used ones are going for MSRP and MSRP+ on Gunbroker.

The PX4 I got was inexpensive because the seller was relatively new (100 sales and 100% +) and the photos were pedestrian. But he sent me more and responded quickly and professionally to my inquiry so I was the only bidder :)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I almost purchased one just for that.

It was the deciding factor in choosing the PX4. It is softer shooting than the 92S (which is heavier BTW). It has been the most accurate pistol in 9 on its first outing to the range for me as well.

I got a bunch of parts from Beretta USA on their 40% off + Free Shipping holiday sale after Christmas and they came in. The PX4 now has the D spring which lightened the DA pull and smoothed it out for $5.90. It has the flatter and less aggressively textured mag release for $12. I upgraded one of the magazines from 17 to 20 for $12. I also put stealth decocker levers on it (normally $72 in a kit) for $24 on the sale. Nice time installing everything and it is now snagfree, the mag button doesn't rub my hand when shooting and the trigger is better. So, for around $60 I've gotten to install OEM parts and customize the weapon the way I want it. Now, if it only had paddles! ;)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
We had CX4s in stock forever and couldn't get rid of them. Once they even mismarked them at $499 sale price for over a week and didn't sell one. After 2+ years we sold the last one and haven't seen one since. I rarely see them on the resale market either which leads me to believe production was very low. Glad I got mine while the getting was good.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Love the PX4, probably my second favorite polymer after the USP lineup. The stock trigger is already pretty good but I added a Langdon Tactical "Trigger Job in a Bag" and steel trigger to mine, really noticeable improvement, particularly in DA.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
They are underrated. Maybe not so much underrated as not thought of.

I think they are excellent guns. Accurate and soft shooting. DA/SA guns are not all the rage these days but that is the only think I think that holds back the guns popularity.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are underrated. Maybe not so much underrated as not thought of.

I think they are excellent guns. Accurate and soft shooting. DA/SA guns are not all the rage these days but that is the only think I think that holds back the guns popularity.

Soft shooting and accurate. Had it out to the range again today. It's a delight to shoot. The D spring has lightened the DA and SA pulls enough that its an improvement. It was already smooth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congratulations on your discovery of the underrated, or undermarketed, Px4.

One of the great things about these flying under the radar, is that they can be found from time to time in the used gun section for great prices.

I’ve logged a couple years of carry and over 2k rounds through my Px4 compact. Liked it so much that I jumped on a lightly used full size for under $400 OTD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts