Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what the problem looks like. My FE is now back at S&W for service. Hope they make this right by updating the parts and not just fixing it just so it could happen again.

I am no engineer but looks like they either need to make the channel where the spring goes in longer, the spring longer or both. Seems like a pretty simple fix by updating 1 or 2 parts.

Back with S&W on 1-30. They say it will take about 8 biz days to turn around. Lets see how well they do :)

Anyone have a picture of the slide release on a new black PPS? Did they modify this part?

·
Registered
87 Posts
This the reason for the slow appearance of the black models.
S&W had to cannibilize new models for parts. Walther did not supply parts for the slide fix.

It continues to be a problem. Once again reliability testing is being done on the back of consumers !

I believe tht the pistol should be recalled. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Do you know this as a fact.....:confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
This the reason for the slow appearance of the black models.
S&W had to cannibilize new models for parts. Walther did not supply parts for the slide fix.

It continues to be a problem. Once again reliability testing is being done on the back of consumers !

I believe tht the pistol should be recalled. We shall see.
What is unsafe about the pistol that it should be recalled?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, I really like the PPS form factor and really want to have a reliable PPS that I could trust. It does not seem like a difficult fix to redesign the slide lock. Hope they do the right thing.

Anyone have a picture of the slide locks on the black ones? Do they have a deeper channel?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Roughly 15% 0f first batch had slide lock-back problem.
Those of us who carry a weapon every day expect it to function every time we pull the trigger. The PPS did not ! This is a wide ranging problem affecting a high percentage of new owners and even reviewers of the pistol such as John Farnham had the problem.

If you depend on a pistol with a failure rate that high you are a damned fool. Mine crapped out after 750 rounds. It went back to S&W who replaced the spring.
Ultimately the problem with be rectified. Shouldn't it have been avoided by pre-sale testing ?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Let me tell you that these pistols are more tested then Kahr's for instance...
a month ago we had a Kahr come through the store that would not even chamber a round due to the chamber being too short
Do you see people yelling for a recall on that ??
This is why you don't just trust a gun out of the box but put it through some testing before you consider it a carry gun....how many 1911's have problems out of the box.... oh wait people expect them to do that and send them off to have work done to them.... they call that a reliability package... and you see them offered with any big custom comapny like Cylinder&Slide and alike... oh I forgot the 1911 is only been around for over 50 years and some still don't work out of the box :D
if you could please point me to the 15 posters that had slide problems, I would be glad to forward this info to Walther in Germany since they apparently don't know what you know

·
Registered
87 Posts
Walther is aware of the problem as is S&W. I know 3 of this group including me who have had the problem.
There are others who have detailed the problem at Evan Marshall's site and still more at Glock talk.

You might speak with Jeff Whitehouse at S&W.

Of course Kahr's PM9 had the problem too. That doesn't make it any better. No weapon should have the teething problem that PPS has had !
Will they fix it. Sure.... but why should we have to find it for them

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
like I said point me to the 15 PPS's....
many are repead posts by the same user on another Forum....
I don't understand this...
How many recalls do you see in the electronic or car insdustry....(and some only get taken care of if you contact a dealer to have the problem fixed... most times they don't contact you) or go to Wallmart and look by their customer service counter how many fliers they have on the Wall of items that have had problems and are being recalled
not everything can be perfect all the time... and so far S&W has not turned their back on this problem and taken care of the customers
ahh what do i know... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Uncut and JHiller: I don't think you guys are talking about the same thing.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I believe that a new handgun should function straight out of the box with 99.9% reliability, measured over the first 1000 rounds, with the ammunition which the MANUFACTURER SPECIFIES IT WAS DESIGNED TO FUNCTION WITH.

The alleged necessity to "break in" guns is, in my opinion, hogwash. It's a misunderstanding of the admonition to fire several hundred rounds to make sure the gun is reliable WITH SOME OTHER AMMO of unknown or uncertain performance. Sometimes it is simply an excuse for ill-fitting workmanship. REALLY good guns are made so well they don't need to be "broken in." M1 Garands come to mind, as do SIG/Sauer P220s.

In this instance the malfunction is ammo-neutral; it doesn't matter what ammo is being used. It's a mechanical problem which, if Walther/Umarex were keeping up its QC inspection as production was ramped up, would be have discovered very quickly. On that score, I'm with jhiller; it is inexcusable to hastily push guns out the door with no spare parts available and expect your customers to do the beta testing.

I'm not impressed by the argument that everybody has recalls and so we should not get too excited about ragged manufacture that folks like Slide & Cylinder exist to cure. Sorry, but I am a more demanding consumer-- especially with guns priced in the prestige class. I won't accept half-baked design or manufacture even if it has a Walther banner molded into it, and there have been enough complaints about the PPS already that I am not interested.

As to kensteele's question about why it's unsafe: Just wait until some cop gets killed because a PPS slide seized up or the flimsy backstrap fell off, and left him with a nonfunctional POS in his hand in the middle of a gun fight.

M

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did not mean to stir up a fight here. I was just pointing out the failure of my PPS so that others could check theirs and to see if the new ones were redesigned to solve this problem.

If Walther is listening, I do not want to have this thing replaced with the same parts that will fail again. I want re-designed parts that solves the problem so I could trust my PPS. It looks like an easy enough fix of a 50 cent part.

Also, could someone that has a black one please take a peek at their slide release and spring to see if it is any different from the one in the picture?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/20.html

Looks like Walther went through the same thing (almost the same anyways) with the P99.... I don't hear anybody yell 10 years later what a POS the P99 is.
I am sorry but I think you guys are yelling "wolf" for no reason....
I have fired my PPS more than enough... and so have about 10 other people and no problems with mine...

·
Registered
203 Posts
As to kensteele's question about why it's unsafe: Just wait until some cop gets killed because a PPS slide seized up or the flimsy backstrap fell off, and left him with a nonfunctional POS in his hand in the middle of a gun fight.

M
i agree with you for the most part. i think we are all sorta on the same page when it comes to using and buying a quality product. we should expect nothing less from walther.

i think walther will could find a way to spin this defect as safety related. they could say when the slide locks back, your finger could get caught. all i am saying is the consumer product recall must take the form of a defective product that could lead to a hazard, injuries, safety related issues. or even if there is a government-mandated standard that is not being met. maybe it is mislabeled or the proper warnings are not there.

·
Registered
203 Posts

M
oh and yes i see your point. not a good deal, not at all.

but the slide locking back didn't kill the officer. all firearms misfire or have the potential to misfire, does that mean they should be recalled.

yes it need to be fixed. but a business shouldn't use a recall to fix their crappy products or blunders. issue a technical service bulletin or publish a fix-it memo or send out parts to distributors or a dozen other ways to improve your products.

a recall requires notification by mail for everyone affected, public announcement, product must be fixed for free, government intervention. this is mandatory and somewhat embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
all i am saying is the consumer product recall must take the form of a defective product that could lead to a hazard, injuries, safety related issues. or even if there is a government-mandated standard that is not being met. maybe it is mislabeled or the proper warnings are not there.

I don't understand.

A manufacturer can recall a product for any reason at all. It does NOT have to be safety related.

M

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did not mean to stir up a fight here. I was just pointing out the failure of my PPS so that others could check theirs and to see if the new ones were redesigned to solve this problem.

If Walther is listening, I do not want to have this thing replaced with the same parts that will fail again. I want re-designed parts that solves the problem so I could trust my PPS. It looks like an easy enough fix of a 50 cent part.

Also, could someone that has a black one please take a peek at their slide release and spring to see if it is any different from the one in the picture?

my black pps looks just like yours. ab13xx

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
oh and yes i see your point. not a good deal, not at all.

but the slide locking back didn't kill the officer. all firearms misfire or have the potential to misfire, does that mean they should be recalled.

yes it need to be fixed. but a business shouldn't use a recall to fix their crappy products or blunders. issue a technical service bulletin or publish a fix-it memo or send out parts to distributors or a dozen other ways to improve your products.

a recall requires notification by mail for everyone affected, public announcement, product must be fixed for free, government intervention. this is mandatory and somewhat embarrassing.
I think you are confusing recalls of firearms with recalls for cars. The former are purely voluntary, and conducted by the manufacturer as he sees fit. The federal government has no legal authority to order the recall of a firearm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All the more reason to have a P239 or a BHP and deal with the extra "bulk".

I am beginning to like the P99AS, but the growing pains of the Walthers are not a positive trait to vary from the proven P239 or BHP.

What am I missing ?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts