Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members who have been using Photobucket as their image hosting site to display embedded images on this (or any other) site will note earlier this week, Photobucket basically committed corporate suicide by switching their free service we've known for the past fourteen years to attempting to extort $399 per year from those who use their site.

As such, every photograph I've posted to the Walther Forum since I joined in 2010 is now a broken link. I suspect there will be a trickle-down effect as I'm not the only one who's used Photobucket to share a library of useful and fun pictures for the Walther world to see.

We can only hope Photobucket quickly comes to their senses and reverse this disastrous decisions before they disappear from the face of the earth like every other entity which attempts to reverse their core principles and extort money from their users. Until then, we'll have a great many unusable links as billions of images across the internet are essentially held ransom.

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
I've been looking for a good free site (or moderately priced) that allows 3rd party hosting. Ideally I'd like to find one that would allow me to transfer all images easily and read links so I could repost my images in the threads....

Nothing yet but I'll post here if I find anything.

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
Here is one site but I'm not sure if I can link my old pb images yet:
https://vgy.me/

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I've been looking for a good free site (or moderately priced) that allows 3rd party hosting. Ideally I'd like to find one that would allow me to transfer all images easily and read links so I could repost my images in the threads....

Nothing yet but I'll post here if I find anything.
imgur.com is where I put pics for use in forums and such.

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
Here is another from vgy.me

Reactions: Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
imgur.com is where I put pics for use in forums and such.
My photo files are too large to upload there. Even files shot in jpeg like this:

I'm still trying to figure out how to easily transfer my pb images to this account...

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
My photo files are too large to upload there. Even files shot in jpeg like this.
That's pretty large. Like I said, imgur.com is where I put pics for use in forums and such. For storage purposes, I currently use Google Photos and OneDrive.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Transferred all mine to Imgur a year ago and told PB to you know what.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I put an end to services like Photo Bucket controlling my pictures long ago.

I built a simple static file Web Server which sits on a shelf in the utility room. Now I have complete control over what happens with my photos for various forums. No pic, it didn't happen. So:

On the left is my Web Server, on the right is my LAN Linux file server/Windoze file server/DLNA server.

For the Web Server, I have to pay approx $20 per year for a Dynamic DNS service, but that is cheap enough. I use no-ip.com for my Dynamic DNS service.

Here is the web address if you want to check it out.
PUDGE's PLACE

Before I retired this web site had some relevance. Now it mainly is used by family and friends for the recipes, and to host pics for various forums. You will note that none of the forums pics are available for viewing when someone visits the site itself. They must be viewed through a forum.

Pudge

Edit. Forgot to mention the Web server is connected to my Comcast internet service via a router. I have a residential account instead of a commercial account but for years now Comcast has not said anything about it.

BTW, Imaoldfart just might recognize the motherboards in the pic.

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
I managed to get imgur to load some images...

·
Premium Member
13,561 Posts
I use PaintShop Pro to resize all my images before I upload em'. They upload MUCH quicker.

Yep, thanks to Kar98, I've now got an account at Imgur....its simple and most importantly, FREE. Reducing the size of images prior to uploading is always a good idea.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
268 megabytes worth of imagery uploaded over the past eleven years is currently downloading from Photobuckey as we speak. I've had a Google photo account since 2013 but never really used it... until now. I'll have to update the FAQ thingie I did a few years ago regarding easily posting images to the forum as well. This is ridiculous... can you imagine how much work it's going to be to correct the damage done by PB's idiocity? I've literally posted hundreds of pictures over the years and would have to go through from day one, editing the link in each post to it's new location. No way do I have time to do that much work anytime soon.

First test from Google:

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
Looks like your first test failed Steve...

Photobucket seems so overloaded that I can't even login right now....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts