Walther Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally got around to taking the class with a friend. I don?t plan to carry much at all but I need the class to take come tactical classes i want to start.

After taking the class i think i am even more convinced due to all the legal challenges.

Anyway....wide range of shooters with varying levels of experience.

The class does require a practical shooting course. I used my Q5 with my RMR :). And scored a 247 out of 250. 5 shooters failed. I was actually going for a 250 but flipping three fliers missed the bullseye.

The course is 50 rounds at a silhouette target at 15, 25 and 50 feet.

There were some shooters there who were horrible and frankly, shouldn?t be carrying a firearm. They do all get the opportunity to requalify, which is good and they are asked to seek help before they return.

Some of the shooters didn?t even know how to clear a weapon or rack the slide. And they all seemed to have a good attitude and wanting to learn.

felt bad for one young women who claimed to be the victim of domestic violence twice. She said she had been practicing but got nervous. The instructor stuck around to spend more time with her because if that makes her nervous.....the real thing is much worse of course.

·
Banned
235 Posts
There were some shooters there who were horrible and frankly, shouldn?t be carrying a firearm. They do all get the opportunity to requalify, which is good and they are asked to seek help before they return.
********End quote

Disagree ....the 2nd doesn't say right to keep and bear arms ....if a good shot.

Most shots in self defense are within 10 feet and are less than 3 rounds.

These classes that are like this ......in my book are all wrong .
YMMV
Edit
IMO....it would be better to stress safety and just let people get to a point where they do not fear the tool.

2nd edit
Many of these ccw instructors are wannabe Rambo types.....the average gun owner just wants to be safe and competent within reason.....they have no delusions about being operators

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The legal implications are insane. If you shoot someone you will likely spend the rest of your life defending yourself and you will be charged with either man slaughter or murder. You will never be found innocent only exonerated. Then comes the civil suites. BecUse no matter what you think about what you did, you would have killed someone else?s son, brother, father, daughter....etc... I also have money....so they will come after me.

MN has a duty to retreat.

And if you can?t rack a slide, find a mag well and hit a sheet of paper, by my definition, you shouldn?t be carrying. Don?t confuse this statement with being any kind of refutiation of the second amendment. It is my opinion only but also THE LAW in MN. MN requires that you must demonstrate basic gun handling principles and pass a shooting test.

I am a WI resident but live in a border town and spend most of my time in MN.

God forbid I shoot shoot someone in self defense, I will make three calls:

- one to 911

- one to my attorney

- one to my wife so she can meet me in jail.

Then I will need to deal with half the world that hates me, and the half who thinks I am a hero. My kids will be targets of abuse at school, etc... because their dad killed someone.

The absolute last thing I ever want to do is use deadly force.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yeah... the instructor at my LTC class spend about 90 minutes promoting TX Law Shield insurance with just about the same words, WaterDR...

Btw, my wife scored 249 out of 250 a week ago ;)

·
Banned
235 Posts
Yeah... the instructor at my LTC class spend about 90 minutes promoting TX Law Shield insurance with just about the same words, WaterDR...

Btw, my wife scored 249 out of 250 a week ago ;)
Don't make her angry.......just saying

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Btw, my wife scored 249 out of 250 a week ago
Don't make her angry.......just saying
I was the one who taught her how to shoot in first place. Otherwise I'd be a bit salty

Only took 18 months of weekly range visits, 90 minutes or so each, until she felt confident enough to take the test.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
....Then I will need to deal with half the world that hates me, and the half who thinks I am a hero.......
More to the point.

The oral minority will ACTUALLY hate you (and they are SO loud, it will SEEM like half the world).

The majority will see this for what it is, a necessity that unfortunately needs to occur when criminals prey upon the honest citizens.

If you find anyone who views you as a hero, get as far away from them as possible, ASAP. These people are deranged.

Make NO mistake, the "half who thinks I am a hero" wording is anti-gunner speak for "those who own guns for defense are deranged".
Glad I was able to decode this for you.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That?s great! None of that means **** when the **** hits the fan, but better to be a 249 shooter than a 49 shooter

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2M umbrella policy. I need to check on the coverage with it for CCW. Plus, I pay into Hyatt Legal already as well.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
That?s great! None of that means **** when the **** hits the fan, but better to be a 249 shooter than a 49 shooter
That's why those who carry need to develop their skills/proficiencies with regular training/range sessions.

These costs dwarf the insurance costs.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In conclusion....a decision to carry or not, is a highly personal decision. People do it for many different reasons and everyone has a different tolerance of risk. It also has to fit in your life.

My days are spent mostly in places where either carrying is illegal, will cost me my job, or come with other consequences. I drive a company car (not allowed to carry), I work in an office (not allowed to carry), and make about 24 flights a year including many out of the country. While I could always just ignore those signs, in my state, it becomes trespassing....so I have to deal with that. I don?t plan to get fired from an E-Level position because someone got spooked at work.

My recreation time is spent boating or on ball fields as my daughter plays on a national Softball team. Or, going out for a cocktail. Being an armed citizen and alcohol is not a good mix.

As such, carrying is not a practical option for me themajority of the time, but I have chosen to have a permit regardless.

We will be leaving for vacation and renting a cabin over thanksgiving....I plan to be armed.

·
Banned
235 Posts
In conclusion..

My recreation time is spent boating

We will be leaving for vacation and renting a cabin over thanksgiving....I plan to be armed.
Pirates....better to have it and not need it than ....well you know

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
In MN, it is mandatory to hit targets at a distance of 50' or else you don't get your carry permit?

In NC, it very much seems like the CC class is catered to people who have never shot a pistol before.

·
Banned
235 Posts
In MN, it is mandatory to hit targets at a distance of 50' or else you don't get your carry permit?

In NC, it very much seems like the CC class is catered to people who have never shot a pistol before.
See when that is allowed it opens the door to .....you must get perfered area hits hits 95 percent
Just another way the anti gun nuts have to attack gun owners and deny rights

Gun folk are losing the war.....

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

See when that is allowed it opens the door to .....you must get perfered area hits hits 95 percent
Just another way the anti gun nuts have to attack gun owners and deny rights

Gun folk are losing the war.....
The test is designed to demonstrate proficiency and I have no issues with that. People who can?t have basic skills with a gun have no business carrying in public. I think those that carry owe it to those that don?t to have some sort of basic proficiency....you don?t have to be an expert. And furthermore, those who have physical limitations can get waivers or accommodations. When doofuses have guns and mess up, they make it worse for the rest of us.

The test is not designed to make someone combat efficient.

You have 50 rounds. You shoot 20 from 15 feet. 20 from 25 feet. And 10 from 50 feet. It?s a human silhouette target and you get 5 points for hitting center of mass and 4,3,2 or 1 for missing. A score of 175 means you pass which means you can miss every shot at 50 feet and still pass. In fact, if I did the math correctly, you can miss the target completely at 50 ft, and miss a bunch at 25 and still pass. It?s far from demanding.

You are also required to show that you know how to clear a weapon and use basic gun discipline. For example, turning around and pointing the gun at the instructor and you will fail.

As gun owners, yes....there are those that don?t want us to have them. But part of being a responsible gun owner is being....responsible. And when people can?t hit paper at 15ft, they need practice. I am not sure I want to be around them.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

See my previous comments....but no. It?s part of the course but you don?t have to hit the target provided you did well enough at closer distances.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.