Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Walther PP 32, Manurhin, dating back to the 70's at least. Bought as 'used German Police' from Interarms.

The problem I have always had is an occasional FTF, new round approximately 1/2 visible - push forward on the slide and it chambers.

Read some time ago that a Wolff spring kit should fix it...

Finally got a gunsmith to install the kit, oiled it up, same problem.

Tried Dynamit Nobel FMJ's, and Fiocchi hollow points.

Usually it's the 2nd or 3rd round that FTF's.

Once in a while it will run a full magazine with no problems.

Any ideas?

Nothing visible to my eye as far as feed ramp or anything else 'wrong' with the gun.

thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did the spring kit include fresh magazine springs?

Could rounds or follower be touching the mag release latch? This is a common Kahr problem.
Magazine springs are one of the most overlooked parts in handguns. :eek: It has only been in the last 20 years or so that people have become aware of spring issues. Thankfully we now have some pretty good after market spring makers!

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
At the risk of asking the obvious, is the chamber squeaky clean? Will rounds drop freely into the chamber with the slide removed?
Moon

·
Registered
432 Posts
Does this happen with all the magazines you have tried? (assumes you have more than one)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Wolff spring kit did come with a mag spring, and I can only hope the gunsmith cleaned the mag when he replaced it.

Operation is the same on the mag that did NOT get a new spring...

Rounds seem to go in/out of the chamber easily

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right, nobody does ... except me.

I had done all of that a few years ago, and then was recommended to get Wolff springs.

Took several months to find and get Wolff springs as they were on backorder everywhere.

Then it took forever to find a gunsmith who said he felt competent to work on it. Everyone I asked said this guy was awesome. I hope he did his job right I paid him well.

As for the American made ammo, silly me to think German ammo for a German gun.

Years ago I tried several brands of .32 ACP FMJ that I could find locally, it's not exactly real popular in the sticks where I lived. Bought some online but there was no brand I could find as 'guaranteed for quality and performance' in a PP 32. Who do you ask, who do you trust, ask 5 people get 7 opinions.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If it isn't springs, the two things I would look at are the rounds getting momentarily hung on something in the magazine - like the magazine, or the disconnector or some other part somehow hanging up or slowing the slide in the last section of movement. You can sometimes detect these things by playing with the gun with the slide off or with the recoil spring removed so you can feel or see what's happening.

Otherwise, another thing that will hang up a pistol as you describe is a too-sharp transition from feed ramp to chamber. Lightly chamfering that edge can help the cartridge make the transition from magazine feed angle to chamber angle.

And another thing to take a look at is the action of the extractor. If the extractor action is too stiff or the edges too sharp, that can get hung up on the feeding round.

AND, the cartridge indicator could also be interfering.

Do you have more than one magazine or not?

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Can't truly say there's been any trouble with either my reloads or the Fiocchi, S&B, or Privi that has been the source of brass for said reloads. IMHO, the 7.65 guns aren't picky eaters.
Moon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts