Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not trying to start a war here, but I'm curious as to why PDP even exists. I'm quite satisfied with my PPQ Navy and q4 tac (9MM, both with threaded barrels) and not sure what base this covers that the PPQ does not already. I've not been able to locate a PDP locally to fondle, so I don't know what I might be missing. Any insights you'd like to share?

·
Registered
160 Posts
As a satisfied P99 owner I could ask, "Why does the PPQ even exist?"

Of course the answer is it includes several incremental upgrades over the P99. You can say the same thing about the PDP over the PPQ. It didn't re-invent the wheel but it did add additional polish.

Add in that the PPQ never really took off or achieved significant popularity among LEO/MIL or even CIV crowds you can't blame Walther for redesigning it so they might get a chance to take another bite at the apple.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The only question I have.....

Is why did Walther not include an ambi mag release? If you aren’t gonna do paddles, wouldn’t dual buttons like the Walther P88 release make sense for everyone?

If I didn’t have a P99, P88, or Q5 SF...the PDP would be on my radar. I’ll just slap a 4.5” slide on my P99 when they come in.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
IMO it is primarily because the entire PDP line is optics ready with the ability to co witness the rear sight. Many seem to like the new grip texture also.

Reactions: Harlock and RedKing

·
Registered
3 Posts
PDP has higher capacity without using janky mag extensions. I also like the grip texture better than the polymer PPQs. They need to come out with a new Q5 match with PDP lower. The current lower leaves the pinky dangling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i kinda asked the same thing in another post.
why did H&K wait so long to release the VP9... and they produced the 1st poly weapon!
why did colt only produce 2 poly handguns?
why did walther discontinue the ppq, aka "glock killer!"
i guess walther wants more of the #1 market in the world, the pdp screams americano. its like a cross between the apx and the g17. guess this is some kinda marketing tactic, just watch the walther video on the pdp.
no doubt glock did it right in the 80's. the marketing, advertising, leo contracts, civilian sales, accessories, etc. one helluva plan... bet the g19 was the #1 seller in 2020!
im a walther fan! the p99 is a firearm marvel and got love my ppq m1! so if the pdp continues to get good reviews and this shit storm passes, i will add another walther to my collection.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only question I have.....

Is why did Walther not include an ambi mag release? If you aren’t gonna do paddles, wouldn’t dual buttons like the Walther P88 release make sense for everyone?

If I didn’t have a P99, P88, or Q5 SF...the PDP would be on my radar. I’ll just slap a 4.5” slide on my P99 when they come in.
I feel like an ambi button mag release would double the chances of your IWB/AIWB holster accidentally releasing your mag when you bend over, etc. Not such a problem with duty type holsters, of course.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why did walther discontinue the ppq, aka "glock killer!"
Oh WOW, I didn't know this! That explains it.

Learned a long time ago there's obsolete because the manufacturer is trying to sell a new version of something, and then there's obsolete because it genuinely can't do what you need it to do.

While I think the PDP looks pretty bad ass, I got all the mags, holsters and other stuff for PPQ's so, maybe I can get another at good price!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've owned and used pretty much all the good poly's out there with the exception of the PPQ and Canik so Walther got me to buy with the PDP, I guess that's reason enough lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My local pawn shop has a nice PPQ that I handled before deciding on the PDP. The PPQ causes a problem for me because my finger rubs the trigger guard as I pull the trigger and my finger gets sore. That's not a problem with the PDP. The PPQ isn't the only pistol that I have that problem with.

Additionally, the trigger is better on the PDP and the grip just seems to fit better. When I shot my PDP the first time, at 20 yards the strike was low but centered. The rear sight easily adjusted to bring POI to center. When my plate arrives from Walther, I'll be mounting a Holosun 507C X2. I'm excited about that.

I've shot a number of striker fired pistols including Glocks, Springfields, Kahrs, Taurus, H&Ks and Girsan. None of them appeal to me like the PDP. That is, of course, only my opinion.

·
Registered
P22, PPS, PPQ
24 Posts
PDP has higher capacity without using janky mag extensions. I also like the grip texture better than the polymer PPQs. They need to come out with a new Q5 match with PDP lower. The current lower leaves the pinky dangling.
It's my understanding that depending on which model they run the same size and type mags as the PPQ

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
It's my understanding that depending on which model they run the same size and type mags as the PPQ
That is correct. The "compact" frame takes regular PPQ M2 mags.

The full size PDP, with it's longer grip-frame, takes longer, 18 round mags.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have no idea why gun manufacturers keep trying to improve on my gen-1 blunderbuss.

Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1599...

Just look at those classic lines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a satisfied P99 owner I could ask, "Why does the PPQ even exist?"

Of course the answer is it includes several incremental upgrades over the P99. You can say the same thing about the PDP over the PPQ. It didn't re-invent the wheel but it did add additional polish.

Add in that the PPQ never really took off or achieved significant popularity among LEO/MIL or even CIV crowds you can't blame Walther for redesigning it so they might get a chance to take another bite at the apple.
I think the PPQ M1 was highly underrated. It was the first "nice" gun purchase I ever made when it came out & added a 5" M1 here a bit over a year ago. First time shooters I take them out with either of them and they are on target in no time including my wife who with more range time & less nerves could likely outshoot me (y)
Found a tremendous deal on extended mags last year but still picked up a PDP Compact a few weeks back so more mags to hunt down......now they release the 5" so one of them may make it home also. The PPQ SC felt cheap and I picked up a VP9SK prior to its release & call it my mini PPQ. I love the paddle release and wish that was an option on the PDP :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
This reminds me I was thinking about picking up a Sig Pro years ago. I had used several over the years and some Sig variants in the military MK25/11 P226/P229. They had just released the P250 and it was all the rage at our local Sig dealer. The Pro was pretty hefty for a 9mm, and I preferred the svelter P229 but liked the Pros grip better. The guy selling the new P250 tried to steer me to a P229. He was a Sheriff. He didn't like the P250 for duty use due to the perceived cheapness of a FC module and polymer frame. I passed on the P250. Years later I picked up the P320 M18 version and am happy with it. Light and high capacity. Its Sigs Glock Killer IMO. But yet doesn't have the low bore axis of a Glock making it a but harder to master. If you look at the time passed the P250 fared well and became popular and well utilized by professionals with some still in use. So you really never know what to expect. Fortunately gun manufacturers keep moving forward so we have what we do today even if we do not yet recognize the value or merits of them. From my observations most guns are good if the operator is good, but everything can be improved.

·
Registered
96 Posts
P99 Is my jam. If walther released a steel frame version, I would probably save my pennies. I can't afford the p88, and I'm da/sa all the way, but I wanted a pps/ppq to add to my collection. I only first held a ppq and pdp at the same time the other day. But I was still up in the air about holding a tp9 I previously considered buying. Now let me back track..

In walks cannik the copycat.

Now I could stop there, because most of you are aware of canniks always blatant plagiarism, but the tp9 (T-120/100, P, L, S, etc.) It's so affordable and seems pretty well made. Why would I buy a ppq when I could own the tp9sfx2000, with it's bells and whistles for less!?! (This is rhetorical, and no, I don't own a cannik, yet)
Well, walther looks at the market and see all this cross compatibility between brands and accessories, but doesn't want to get back into the accessories game... So what do they do?
They build the PDP. Best selling Ppq m2 based trigger and button frame, but with a facelift and streamlined ergonomics, rmr compatibility, Glock sights compatibility, interchangable slides and frames, but left one proprietary accessory, the ppqm2 mags.
Transformers, erector sets, etc...
they're building the wheel again my friends.
(A less proprietary wheel)

my2¢

1 - 18 of 18 Posts