Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the pdp series hasn’t been out for very long, but wanted to see what buyers are saying.

Ergonomics on the pdp is very nice, but I wouldn’t say it is necessarily better. PPQ has the subtle grooves which form a tighter mold to my hand.
trigger on both are phenomenal for their class and it is harder to see the difference. I did notice when dry firing and reset, ppq was cleaner and crisper.
serrations on pdp are more aggressive, but never had issues with the ppq serrations.
ppq q4 tac comes with an optic plate and you can find new ones for the same price.
pdp is slightly lighter
aesthetically the ppq looks much sleeker.

if I could only have one, I’d go with the PPQ. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Another one of these threads? There have been a few. The PDP is better than the PPQ hands down.

• better grip
  • optics capable
  • two size frames 15/18 round
  • backwards mag compatible 15/17 compact frame

Questions?

·
Super Moderator
14,534 Posts
All the enhancements/improvements to the PDP are not necessarily embraced by everyone. Personally, I like the look of the PPQ slide better than the PDP, and I never had a problem operating/manipulating the PPQ slide, BUT, the PDP's SuperTerrain design to raise the serrations above the surface of the slide offering a new more positive feel to operating the action, is, mechanically speaking, an improvement.....PPQ slide is still prettier.

The PDP trigger is a slight improvement over the PPQ...as the length of travel has been shortened and they increased the tactile definition of the trigger break....this is slight, but it's there. I'm sure that in actual use, you'll likely not notice the difference....but sitting at the kitchen table, sipping on some lemonade while fingering the trigger, you might ..... might be able to feel the difference.

The grip texture on the PDP is a HUGE improvement over the PPQ....H U G E..................... Did I say HUGE? Yes, HUGE.

All I'm waiting on now is Safariland to come out with a 6360 series or RDS series holster for the PDP.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I did not purchase the PDP but did do an extensive dry examination. Here's what I came away with:

PDP factory trigger virtually identical to PPQ factory trigger
Serrations deeper but of no consequence for me
Grip significantly better than PPQ
Mag capacities are or can be made to be identical

·
Super Moderator
14,534 Posts
The 'one' thing that really sets the PDP apart from the PPQ is the fact that the optic cut on the PDP is moved forward just a little, allowing retention of the rear sight. Just take a look at this (see below)....can't do that with a PPQ. Yep, you can see your standard height sights thru the window.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another one of these threads? There have been a few. The PDP is better than the PPQ hands down.

• better grip
  • optics capable

Questions?
well for one I disagree lol. The question was not only for you too, so quit being a snarky dbag and move on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 'one' thing that really sets the PDP apart from the PPQ is the fact that the optic cut on the PDP is moved forward just a little, allowing retention of the rear sight. Just take a look at this (see below)....can't do that with a PPQ. Yep, you can see your standard height sights thru the window.

View attachment 99684

View attachment 99685
Yea the cowitness is a cool feature. Like that optic and iron sight set up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the enhancements/improvements to the PDP are not necessarily embraced by everyone. Personally, I like the look of the PPQ slide better than the PDP, and I never had a problem operating/manipulating the PPQ slide, BUT, the PDP's SuperTerrain design to raise the serrations above the surface of the slide offering a new more positive feel to operating the action, is, mechanically speaking, an improvement.....PPQ slide is still prettier.

The PDP trigger is a slight improvement over the PPQ...as the length of travel has been shortened and they increased the tactile definition of the trigger break....this is slight, but it's there. I'm sure that in actual use, you'll likely not notice the difference....but sitting at the kitchen table, sipping on some lemonade while fingering the trigger, you might ..... might be able to feel the difference.

The grip texture on the PDP is a HUGE improvement over the PPQ....H U G E..................... Did I say HUGE? Yes, HUGE.

All I'm waiting on now is Safariland to come out with a 6360 series or RDS series holster for the PDP.
Grip texture is a massive improvement, but I do prefer the overall ergonomics of the ppq. I’m thinking I’ll just keep both at this point, never have too many guns.

·
Super Moderator
14,534 Posts

• better grip
  • optics capable

Questions?
Completely agree.

well for one I disagree lol. The question was not only for you too, so quit being a snarky dbag and move on.
BTW, you did ask for thoughts.....so you might want to 'thank' everyone for their time and effort.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
The PDP is still nothing for me to get excited about. The grip is the only thing that would give it a plus for me over my PPQ and that's not enough.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
The PDP not having the subtle finger indentations doesn't really make sense to me, I loved them on the P99 and PPQ.
I liked them too but I guess enough people must have complained that the finger grooves didn't fit them. I don't care for the Gen 5 Glock "fingerless" grip either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have a PDP, but I like the look of the grip texture as well as the slide cuts. I wish it was da/sa like the P99 and had paddles, but I hope to pick up a PDP in the future when I have the funds for it. Looks like a sweet gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts

View attachment 99684

View attachment 99685
Are those Speedsights?

What color are the rear sights, and can you take/post a few more pics of what they look like.

Been considering getting Speedsights.

·
Super Moderator
14,534 Posts
Morning Klowman. Yep, those are Speedsights. The rears are white and the front is orange.....both have tritium inserts. Speedsights offers different colors for the front sight, but I'm pretty sure the rears are only offered in white. Go here Best Handgun & Pistol Sights for Glock | Sig | XD | Walther | Smith Wesson lots of pictures, information and prices. If you have a PDP you'll need Glock 17 sights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Morning Klowman. Yep, those are Speedsights. The rears are white and the front is orange.....both have tritium inserts. Speedsights offers different colors for the front sight, but I'm pretty sure the rears are only offered in white. Go here Best Handgun & Pistol Sights for Glock | Sig | XD | Walther | Smith Wesson lots of pictures, information and prices. If you have a PDP you'll need Glock 17 sights.
I've looked at the website before and see the various color options, but they show the front and rear sights as separate images...I think in only 1 image they show an orange front sight paired up with the white rear sites.

Their website has no option or feature to let you match up different color combinations to see what they look like, and no actual real photos of guns with the sights installed.

For months I have been trying to figure out what color combo I want or what would best visually appealing or high visibility to me.

I can't decide if I would like a pink front sight, or orange or green.

I was hoping to see what your color combination actually looks like in real life.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A minute ago, I read a thread about Lucky Gunner Lounge saying the PPK is obsolete. I don't think this is news, but there will always be owners-who are comfortable with the gun, those who appreciate it's history and probably a club for those who own both a PPK and a Morgan. To each his own.

Concerning the PPQ vs. the PDP, I think marketing it as a new model is just that, marketing. I do think there are incremental improvements, that however small-added-up-make a big difference to me. So, I like to think that in this case, new model mean incremental changes make a significant difference. If a PPQ owner is not, that's fine also.

I owned a couple of PPQ's, One trigger was good and my navy model was so-so. Such are production guns. I own 3 PDP's. I replaced the standard triggers-all seemingly good- with dynamic performance triggers and replaced the spring with the standard springs. It's an incremental change that both felt better (I'm used to steel triggers) and improved my groups (but I probably could get the same groups had I just practiced). But, still, it was an incremental change that made a difference to me. Love the grips on the PDP and the ergonomics. It's why I bought the pistol. It's incremental, but significant to me. The optic plate allowing me to keep my sights made a significant difference to me, but it's a small change to someone else. The fact that the PDP will accept any Glock sights made a difference to me. I didn't give a rat's ass about the pronounced serrations until I owned the gun. Now, I like them and it's significant. I think those incremental differences amount to in the words of the famous philosopher, Ron Burgundy said was "a pretty big deal."

If someone doesn't want to give up their PPQ, God bless them. The PPQ is a good pistol. If someone wants to hold on to their PPK-even if it's obsolete, then God bless them. It will still work fine on a burglar or a gun critic for that matter. But, I think denying that the PDP's incremental improvements don't amount to a significant difference is a claim that the earth is flat. It's your right to say it, but I think, damn, nice gun is more appropriate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts