Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new PDP last week so I had to test it out of course. I decided to head out to the range. Ended up being quite a trip. I may have taken the long way and made some unnecessary detours.

I brought my trusty sidekick. Eventually we found our way to the range.

My initial shots all seemed to go low. I was using a 'combat' sight picture with the front sight dot 'over the bullseye'. Eventually I was able to find the bullseye with my rounds but it took some adjusting.

I found I was able to hit what I wanted in slow fire.

And rapid fire wasn't too bad either. Group opened up a bit but accuracy was acceptable at 7 yards. Didn't get a chance to shoot further out, unfortunately. Was pinched for time and had other business to attend to.

Not sure how I feel about the gun. Kind of luke warm, I think. Unfortunately it was a rather short test. I only shot 100 rounds of 9mm from the Walther and 57 rounds of 380ACP through my EDC Beretta.

I'm not sure I like the sights very much at all and I feel like they're to blame for shooting low and to the right (usually I'm a high and to the left kind of guy). The combination of my shooting pattern being off and seeing the sights off center in the dovetail has me eying them very suspiciously. I think it's sort of lame that Walther didn't include different height front sights like they had on previous pistols... but I suppose they really are begging you to just put a quality set of glock pattern sights on there. Still, given the price tag I feel like they could have/should have put better ones on there.

Thinking I should just replace the sights ASAP and re-evaluate. I have a Trijicon RMR with a 6moa dot on the way. According to Walther the Trijicon is probably going to arrive well before the plate to mount it. 3-4 weeks to mount an optic? I hope you're joking! (IIRC my plate for my Q4 SF took about 3-5 days). If it takes 4 weeks I might return the pistol under their 30 day guarantee just on principle.

Your plate request has been processed and is being sent to our warehouse for shipping. You should expect to receive the plate in 14-21 business days depending on USPS.
The positives? It was 100% reliable. I gave the pistol only a brief wipe down and oiling before taking it out but it chewed up a box of 115 and 124 gr ammo no problem. No break-in required!

The trigger felt excellent. Just so sharp and pointed. If you go very, very slowly you can feel just a teenie bit of grit after hitting the wall but the pull on it is so light that with any amount of speed you can't tell at all. It might be even better than the single action on a P99, which is not something I'd say about my Q4.

Something about the pistol just seems so very milquetoast to me though. It doesn't excite me in it's current set up. I didn't much like the PPQ so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised I feel about the same regarding the PDP. Great pistol... but not quite my cup of tea.

I'm hoping that a quality red dot sight and potentially a sight swap will make this a more interesting gun to shoot. In it's stock configuration I give it 7 out of 10 stars, with stars taken away for the sights, only 2 magazines and for being a generally unimaginative upgrade to the PPQ.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What a beautiful drive to the range!

I really like my PDP. I immediately swapped the sights to Ameriglo Glock sights. I think my optic plate took right about three weeks to arrive which was what they were quoting at the time.

You never know, the PDP might grow on you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
An observation?

It seems like a lot of people with stock sights are not getting good accuracy out of the PDP right off. This seems relatively easy to see in most reviews. That wasn't true of the PPQ. Something is odd about this.

My experience and target looked like yours. Kinda junk. Same issue. And sight required an obvious adjustment that didn't lead me to think it was straight. Without Walther saying the Glock heights...I don't know.

Who is test firing this at Walther? Also, I did not say the PDP wasn't accurate. With stock sights though, it seems there are A LOT of targets looking like that (crap).

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
One of my PDP's rear sight was a little off center too. BUT, since the rear sight is adjustable for Windage AND elevation, all it took was a little adjustment. Walther HAS published the height of the front sight for the PDP. See chart below. The front sight height for ALL PDP's is 4. mm (0.1929134 inches). Since the rear sight is adjustable for elevation, they don't list a height, as I'm sure that'll vary, slightly, between 4", 4.5" and 5"...not to mention ammo brand/type. So, simply adjust the rear sight elevation to your desired height.

However, in the real world, I wonder how many gun buyers keep the stock sights anyway. I know I don't.

3. THE FOLLOWING PDP PARTS ARE COMPATIBLE ACROSS ALL PDP MODELS. (NOT PPQ MODELS)
PDP Parts Across all PDP NOT PPQ
2844222 – PDP C 5.0″ 9×19 15R OR WAI2851237 – PDP FS 4.0″ 9×19 18R OR WAI
2844052 – PDP COVER PLATE2844052 – PDP COVER PLATE
2847264 – Slide End Cap PDP2847264 – Slide End Cap PDP
2847469 – FRONT SIGHT HEX SCREW PDP2847469 – FRONT SIGHT HEX SCREW PDP
2847485 – REAR SIGHT PDP2847485 – REAR SIGHT PDP
2848449 – Extractor PDP MY20202848449 – Extractor PDP MY2020
2848635 – Mag Release Button MY20202848635 – Mag Release Button MY2020
2848830 – FRONT SIGHT 4.9 MM PDP2848830 – FRONT SIGHT 4.9 MM PDP

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the user manual was for extra padding in the case. I didn't realize you could read the thing. 🙃

Feel a little silly about my front sight rant... I didn't realize the rear sight was adjustable for elevation. Thanks for the reminder. It probably just needs a little tweak.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My first 8 shots right out of the box at 7 yards. I'd say my iron sights were spot on with my Compact PDP. Either that or I just got lucky.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first 8 shots right out of the box at 7 yards. I'd say my iron sights were spot on with my Compact PDP. Either that or I just got lucky.
Nice shooting!

In the context of POA vs POI... one can observe that approximately half of your shots went low*. That might be you or it might be the gun... Just an observation.

*barely low... but the grouping was definitely trending toward the bottom half of the target.

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
I thought the user manual was for extra padding in the case. I didn't realize you could read the thing. 🙃

Feel a little silly about my front sight rant... I didn't realize the rear sight was adjustable for elevation. Thanks for the reminder. It probably just needs a little tweak.
Oh, I couldn't read it....I had to have my daughter read it to me. 😂 😂 😂

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice shooting!

In the context of POA vs POI... one can observe that approximately half of your shots went low*. That might be you or it might be the gun... Just an observation.

*barely low... but the grouping was definitely trending toward the bottom half of the target.
I'd say it's me and my older eyes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a new PDP last week so I had to test it out of course. I decided to head out to the range. Ended up being quite a trip. I may have taken the long way and made some unnecessary detours.

I brought my trusty sidekick. Eventually we found our way to the range.

My initial shots all seemed to go low. I was using a 'combat' sight picture with the front sight dot 'over the bullseye'. Eventually I was able to find the bullseye with my rounds but it took some adjusting.

I found I was able to hit what I wanted in slow fire.

And rapid fire wasn't too bad either. Group opened up a bit but accuracy was acceptable at 7 yards. Didn't get a chance to shoot further out, unfortunately. Was pinched for time and had other business to attend to.

Not sure how I feel about the gun. Kind of luke warm, I think. Unfortunately it was a rather short test. I only shot 100 rounds of 9mm from the Walther and 57 rounds of 380ACP through my EDC Beretta.

I'm not sure I like the sights very much at all and I feel like they're to blame for shooting low and to the right (usually I'm a high and to the left kind of guy). The combination of my shooting pattern being off and seeing the sights off center in the dovetail has me eying them very suspiciously. I think it's sort of lame that Walther didn't include different height front sights like they had on previous pistols... but I suppose they really are begging you to just put a quality set of glock pattern sights on there. Still, given the price tag I feel like they could have/should have put better ones on there.

Thinking I should just replace the sights ASAP and re-evaluate. I have a Trijicon RMR with a 6moa dot on the way. According to Walther the Trijicon is probably going to arrive well before the plate to mount it. 3-4 weeks to mount an optic? I hope you're joking! (IIRC my plate for my Q4 SF took about 3-5 days). If it takes 4 weeks I might return the pistol under their 30 day guarantee just on principle.

The positives? It was 100% reliable. I gave the pistol only a brief wipe down and oiling before taking it out but it chewed up a box of 115 and 124 gr ammo no problem. No break-in required!

The trigger felt excellent. Just so sharp and pointed. If you go very, very slowly you can feel just a teenie bit of grit after hitting the wall but the pull on it is so light that with any amount of speed you can't tell at all. It might be even better than the single action on a P99, which is not something I'd say about my Q4.

Something about the pistol just seems so very milquetoast to me though. It doesn't excite me in it's current set up. I didn't much like the PPQ so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised I feel about the same regarding the PDP. Great pistol... but not quite my cup of tea.

I'm hoping that a quality red dot sight and potentially a sight swap will make this a more interesting gun to shoot. In it's stock configuration I give it 7 out of 10 stars, with stars taken away for the sights, only 2 magazines and for being a generally unimaginative upgrade to the PPQ.
I put the front sight on 9 to 3 level. I was going low left at first, my fault because I wasn't being tight enough with my support hand. Once I freed my trigger hand with that stronger support, that gun became a frikkin' tack hammer out to 20 yards. I love the grip, the trigger, and the thoughtful engineering, as well as the deep cuts front and rear on the slide. For $525.00, I would put the 5" Compact PDP on the table against anything in the 5 - 6 hundred dollar range. P.S. I also have a 4" IWI Masada, made in Israel. Bro' that thing feels like it was made from a effin' meteorite! If you can, shoot one. I can't believe it was $425.00. Suddenly, prices have climbed upwards of $550.00, once word went around. Adios, [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts