Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDPc 4", PDPc 5", Q5 Match, PPS M2, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is everyone’s PDP pretty straight on as far as the sight alignment? On mine, I have to adjust the rear sight pretty far to the right because the default POI is very far left of center. Normally, I might have to drift the rear slightly to one side of center depending on the firearm, but my PDP 4” shoots way left by default. I would estimate it’s about 3-4” left at 15 yards. Is this common among all of them, or did I just get lucky and get a weird one?

Note: this is not a personal shooting/grip issue. I confirmed this with a laser bore sight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My Compact 4 inch was pretty much centered and required only a couple of clicks correction. Yesterday my friend bought a Compact 5 inch and today he adjusted it at 18 yards. The rear sight was almost maxed out to the right. In fairness to the pistol I must also say that he typically shoots left with all handguns and when he adjusts his sights to suit him, his pistols shoot right of center for me.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDPc 4", PDPc 5", Q5 Match, PPS M2, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Compact 4 inch was pretty much centered and required only a couple of clicks correction. Yesterday my friend bought a Compact 5 inch and today he adjusted it at 18 yards. The rear sight was almost maxed out to the right. In fairness to the pistol I must also say that he typically shoots left with all handguns and when he adjusts his sights to suit him, his pistols shoot right of center for me.
Thanks for responding. It’s interesting to hear that your friend’s was maxed to the right as well, even if it may also be a combination of the shooter behind that one.
That’s also why I noted that I confirmed it with a bore sight. I had the adjustables really far right, but just let the issue go until today when I mounted my new suppressor height sights. Pulled out the boresight again to get the initial alignment and had to drift the rear nearly all the way to the right side of the dovetail cutout. I even spun the boresight in the barrel multiple times and made multiple checks against the fully assembled pistol to ensure the boresight hadn’t gotten crooked while sitting in the cabinet since it was last used.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is everyone’s PDP pretty straight on as far as the sight alignment? On mine, I have to adjust the rear sight pretty far to the right because the default POI is very far left of center. Normally, I might have to drift the rear slightly to one side of center depending on the firearm, but my PDP 4” shoots way left by default. I would estimate it’s about 3-4” left at 15 yards. Is this common among all of them, or did I just get lucky and get a weird one?

Note: this is not a personal shooting/grip issue. I confirmed this with a laser bore sight.
I'm a new gun owner and still very much a novice. I finally took my PDP 4" Compact to my local range for live fire, mainly to check the factory sights. I didn't do anything fancy: single, aimed shots at 3-5 yards to a paper bullseye.

What I noticed is that my shots generally were near the vertical center axis of the bull; but tended to group in the lower half of the target. I think that in my case, this is a "personal shooting" issue, having to do with getting used to alignment/picture for this gun. I also fired at 7 and 10 yards: same overall pattern; nothing wildly off-center.

regards,
John

·
Banned
15 Posts
I'm a new gun owner and still very much a novice. I finally took my PDP 4" Compact to my local range for live fire, mainly to check the factory sights. I didn't do anything fancy: single, aimed shots at 3-5 yards to a paper bullseye.

What I noticed is that my shots generally were near the vertical center axis of the bull; but tended to group in the lower half of the target. I think that in my case, this is a "personal shooting" issue, having to do with getting used to alignment/picture for this gun. I also fired at 7 and 10 yards: same overall pattern; nothing wildly off-center.

regards,
John
If your rounds are center but are hitting low, it is usually you anticipating the recoil. NRA pistol instructor here. Happens with new guns to old shooters until the gun and shooter acclimate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If your rounds are center but are hitting low, it is usually you anticipating the recoil. NRA pistol instructor here. Happens with new guns to old shooters until the gun and shooter acclimate.
Thanks, I appreciate the guidance. Can you elaborate slightly on what "anticipating recoil" means? Presumably, that means I'm doing something that needs correction?

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Morning John...first you need to use the correct sight picture as pointed out here PDP 4" compact in post no. 6. Then you can work on fundamentals. The way you grip the pistol is also important, as is your body position, arms, etc. I'd recommend some 'one on one' instruction from a competent instructor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good morning. I'll be working with the correct sight picture that was pointed out. I'm applying the training I've already had from Sig Sauer Academy and evaluating training options. (My local range has one-on-one but it's $100/hour which seems quite high for this area.) I'm doing some reading (Tom Givens and Ben Stoeger) and working at applying these in dry fire practice. I'm very aware of what I don't know and of the value of good training. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts

My 4.5 was about the same. I took it to the range and it seamed off. When I got home I put the bore laser on it and yep, it was off. I aligned it the laser and we're good to go, but yeah it's cranked over pretty far.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm thinking they put an adjustable rear sight on the PDP because they are all over the place.
The factory will place the sights as close to centerline as possible but not everyone sees sights the same and an adjustable rear sight allows adjustment to be set for individual preference. I often shoot with a friend who tends to shoot right and his sights are set well left. If I shoot his pistols, I shoot left. If he shoots my pistols, he always shoots right.

In addition, different loads will shoot to different points of impact and adjustable sights allow for correction from one load to another. My PDP required very little adjustment when I got it and even less once I mounted my RDS.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Laser bore sights aren't the last word on if your sights are set. Range time and making tiny adjustments is the way. Its tedious but the way to go.
As for the "gun" being the issue. I doubt it. I can ring steel torso sized targets at 200 yrds with my 4.5" pdp. There's lots of videos with guys just shreading the hwll out of a tactile competition range so the gun shoots true. If your shots land to your left and a little low, chances are, you need to work.on your grip and trigger control. I have that se issue with my Glock. Its not the Glock. I have a hard time getting a good purchase on the gun. There's entire videos on you tube of "what does my gun pull left". Not trying to make you feel bad but these guns are tack drivers in the hands of a great shooter. Walther even sent a target with mine showing test firing at 15 meters made with my specific gun with the sights set at the factory... Whom ever made those test shots was awesome as he made groups spaced at .5" or lessat that distance. Not all of them ship with a target but some will. I talked to Walther and EVERY GUN IS SET AND ZEROED AT THE FACTORY AND TEST FIRED. SO...as much as your convinced a $700 German made hand gun is off 4 feet at 7 to 10 yards then its def you. I hope you get it figured out... Just practice a lot. Go by your range 3 times a week and shoot for an hour or an hour & a half or @ 200 rounds and don't just blaze through those rounds. Use a steady rest or bean bag if you want as it will help you learn how to hold your gun.
It's all trigger control & grip.
I mean if your grip falters only .002", rt as the trigger breaks, at 30 feet, that .002" will get amplified to being a good bit off. It's where that sight picture is at the exact sec that trigger falls. It's in that split sec that a bad trip or un intentionally imparting a "tug" or "push" on your trigger, that can also ruin a shot.

I hope others chime in. I hope you get your shooting style figured out. You never move your sights to accommodate a bad grip/trigger control problem. You may have a crazy 1 off "bad gun" but I doubt it.

Like I said, I have the same issue with my glock.

How's your eyes? Do you have cross dominance? That is, are you right handed but your left eye is the one that sees best? You can shoot this way but it takes practice.

The range I goto has a few range guides that have been great to help me figure out some bad habits I have.
Let a guy at your range that works there to shoot your gun...(get a 2nd-3rd-4th opinion. If others are NOT having it pull left then you'll have a better idea of what's going on.
Good luck. I ment no disrespect. I hope you figure out things because my PDP is a tack driver... its very very accurate... Its a 4.5" FullSize frame, 18+1 stock magazines.

One last thing, have you tried using a different back strap? Mine came with 3 different ones. It can make a big difference. You may want grip tape.. its your preference in the end.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Laser bore sights aren't the last word on if your sights are set. Range time and making tiny adjustments is the way. Its tedious but the way to go.
As for the "gun" being the issue. I doubt it.
Laser bore sights are a fantastic tool to get close. You are correct that they shouldn't be used in place of actual live fire, but they can definitely be used to check barrel/sight alignment - especially on the horizontal axis. They won't allow for ballistic drop or specific bullet flight variations, but they'll still help one get pretty darned close at normal pistol distances.

SO...as much as your convinced a $700 German made hand gun is off 4 feet at 7 to 10 yards then its def you. I hope you get it figured out... Just practice a lot. Go by your range 3 times a week and shoot for an hour or an hour & a half or @ 200 rounds and don't just blaze through those rounds.
I never said 4 feet. I said 3 to 4" (That's inches... ' is used for feet, " is inches). Just because a gun is made in Germany doesn't make it perfect and also doesn't mean manufacturing variations don't apply.
As for practicing... I currently shoot multiple competitions each month. I've been shooting for over 20 years and had a very good instructor way back in the Po-Po Academy.

This issue is definitely not just me. With the sights aligned (way right to account for the barrel) and a red dot that I added after the original post (over a year ago), it's clear that it's the gun and not the shooter. Multiple people have shot my gun, including some top level competitors and it hits where zeroed for them too.

Additionally, my Q5 match doesn't shoot left. Neither does my 5" PDP. Neither does my PPS. Neither do any of my other guns. It's just this particular 4" compact that shoots left.

How's your eyes? Do you have cross dominance?
My eyes are aging, but still fine for shooting. No cross eye dominance. Just a raised eyebrow sometimes when threads are resurrected from the dead. 😆

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just looking around for anyone that had found rear iron sights with height and cross wind adjustment but red dot co-witness heights.
I didnt exactly find an answer but I did read about someone having issues with shots landing far left of poa w/a PDP. It went on to read that it was bore sighted, (which should get you on paper at 10-15 yards...maybe further)... and said the poi was so far left, even w/ it being bore sighted so it might be the gun itself. I just went through a deal with my Glock where it too was shooting left from poa. I got some great advice about grip, breathing, trigger torque/control, and timing of when you bring the trigger to "break" and the coordinating of those things.
That is your breathing can impart slight errors in your aim at the last sec b4 your trigger breaks for example.
I just hear a lot about "guns shooting to the left".
There's whole video's on the topic.

I was not at all meaning to sound rude or all knowing...
Someone else had said in a reply to the shots landing left, that the PDP was a duty pistol so don't expect but so-so accuracy. I was only speaking of what MY experience has been which is my PDP is really accurate. Now I have upgraded to the Walther dynamic performance trigger which is amazing. I put in the solid tungsten guide rod assembly which does noticeably help muzzle flip. I have a green dot holosun 507c x2 but I have NOT installed it yet. It's been so fun with just the stock sights that I've just held off on doing it...(plus as I mentioned, I'd like to find red dot co-witness height adjustable rear sights b4 I install it).
I was not exaggerating when I said I can hit steel targets set at 200 yards. We have a huge range up hear outside of Asheville NC. Its really 6 ranges on 1, giant 60 acre spread. This range has a 1000 yard range..thats .53 miles!!!! So if you have a Begara or a Sako, there's fun-o-plenty on that range..lol.

But I really feel there's much merit/benefit from shooting at targets that far off with a pistol even if I only land 1 out of 4 shots. To practice at those distances and then you go for a day at 25 & 50 yard targets, your able to just shread!!. It's like when playing/practicing guitar. I played a classical to practice with because it's got a really wide finger board so you gotta train your fingers to make some really serious stretching to make some chords...SOOOO, when you go to play for real on your electric guitar with a really skinny finger board, it's like butter...you can hit any chord you go for. There's some Steely Dan songs with 30 chord changes in 1 song!! I digress...
So in the same way...shooting at farther away targets then you would likely never need to shoot at, this will help you shread at much closer in shots.

The other thing I'd say to the PDP is a duty pistol so it's not accurate..
Do you know the PPQ (Def a comp pistol) & the PDP are 97% the same gun!! The barrels swap, the slides swap, even the triggers swap... The PDP slide, it looks blocky but it's lighter then the same size PPQ slide...The Guide rods & recoil spring are the same as well!!. If your saying a PDP is a less then accurate gun then the PPQ is as equally un-accurate.

I did mention that Walther has a new PDP called the PDP SD PRO with all kinds of competition inspired changes but again.. The PDP is forward compatible with the SD PRO... So, to say the PDP is not accurate and just a DUTY pistol (which I never heard until now was a designation of less accuracy? I really don't think that is true but it was expressed here as if it was true?).
Duty (from my understanding), refers to or means they have less or no manual safeties...no decocker, etc... most Glocks are DUTY pistols by definition.

I guess my thing was that I've had an experience with a pistol seemingly shooting left in the same way... while in reality, it was an issue the SHOOTER HAS. If your right handed and have gripping/trigger control issues, the gun will seem to aim left...if your Left handed, & you have a grip issue it will seemingly shoot right.

There's plenty of videos on how to break these habits. Also people don't appreciate how much it helps to dry fire practice. Most modern guns won't care if you dry fire it...if yours does, get snap caps. But this kind of working on your grip, breathing, stance, trigger control, timing and putting it all together is invaluable. Even to just holster & bring up to get a good sight picture as fast as you can is hugely helpful and you need not pull the trigger to practice this way.
I dont think anyone has a Walther that was shipped out that was shooting so far left that the rear sight, not only was moved to the right, as far as the screws would allow but also loosened the rear sight from its dovetail slid it even further to the right & it still wasnt aiming correct... That just doesn't seem possible to me? .

Bottom line, I have never had a bad shooting Walther...ever. I also find that when I have a gun that seemingly has issues with accuracy, it always turns out its me.
I dont know how much "behind the gun" time everyone has but it takes a lot of practice... A gun hobby is an expensive one and time consuming if you really want to do more then have a gun on your bed side table. If you want to get good and comfortable with your pistol, you need to use it. I have a small shooting area on my property so I can go to my back yard and I have a 40 yard, short range with some steel targets and areas for melons, paper targets, 2 litre bottles, etc. Good to make it fun... plus having diff siluettes to aim at actually helps while being fun.

I guess my last thing I'll say is it's hard for me to "feed in" to someone and further the notion of how it's the guns fault when someone doesn't get the performance they are expecting.
I mean, if you just got a new gun, then you go bore sight it, then you go to the range and expect YOU to be hitting dead on? It takes a lot of time to get where your shots land where you want.

When i go shooting the 200 yard range at steel, i have a friend spot for me to walk me in & onto the target... it will get to where you need that spotters help less and less.
now in really long distance rifle shooting, you'll need a spotter all the time.
If you can find a way to carve out a place to shoot at your convenience, you'll really improve.

Ill end on the other part which is where I didn't get that he meant 3-4" not feet. I was only trying to share advice that was given to me when I had similar issues & questions as to "could my gun be off that much?"...I've felt that way b4 too but in all those cases I worked on my issues and saw the guns almost never the main problem. This isn't to say that a gun can have inherent flaws. I just wanted to respond again because I wanted to emphasize I wasn't trying to judge anyone else... To be fair, I may be biased to Walther in general, as the PDP isn't the 1st one I have owned. But it's hard for me to put the blame of accuracy issues 100% on the gun. If a gun is way off then it's time to let a gun Smith or machinist to take some expensive measuring instruments to the gun and pin down why it's not keeping registration. When the slide returns to in battery, it should "seat" in the exact same spot it was rt b4 it fired the previous shot...your sights reside on the slide so if your slide doesn't come to rest in between shots at the same place, then you may have a problem. It won't be perfect but it shouldn't be off hardly at all from 1 shot to the next. Guys that really need crazy precision will have a machinist make a "bridge" that suspends an optic over the slide so the slide reciprocates under the sight and the sight itself never moves and is essentially part of the frame.

I really was wanting to help. I hope I didn't offend. Bottom line; Lots & lots of practice!!!:)🤜🤛!!

·
Registered
PK380, P22Q CA
20 Posts
I generally aim at the lower left corner of the bullseye, because my anticipation, I end up at the upper right. I use a laser range at my home everyday, I started with a S&W SD40VE compact 4". I break the trigger the same on a pistol as I do on my long range long guns. Ease the sights in on the exhale, and before my chest changes direction I break the trigger. On first shots OOTB, the shots landed just right and just low of the bullseye, EXACTLY where I expected. With a revolver I'm aiming just right and just high of the center and hit low left. And it's just the opposite for semi autos. I mainly shoot S&W now because of a bad experience with a PK380. And since I bought my first Smith I almost instantly regretted the caliber I chose(S&W40), only because of the over inflated price of ammo, twice as much as 9mm, 380 is ⅔ as much as the 40, so when I had the offer to exchange the PK for a PDP of my choice, I took a copy of my S&W SD40VE. 4"Compact, better trigger out of the box, optics ready(bonus!), now I have WaltherArms version of my SD40VE. I couldn't be happier, except for the curved trigger, I prefer flat, so I'll be upgrading, but not for a lighter trigger, duty pistols IMHO should have a 8-12# trigger. Range guns 2-5#'s. But if you follow the rules it doesn't matter what trigger weight it is, you NEVER PUT YOUR FINGER ON THAT TRIGGER UNLESS YOUR PREPARED FOR THE AFTERMATH. And every round has a legal team attached to it! So the range/duty argument is irrelevant, you follow the fundamentals and rules. I put a micro red dot on it, zeroed it, and as expected, I put the dot on the lower left of the bullseye and I hit on the top right corner. Knowing how you anticipate the shot, and discipline of your fundamentals is EXACTLY the same for every shot, helps to nail down who/what is at fault, you or the gun. 9 times out of 10 it's you. Using a laser targeting system in your home, puts your Physical environment of where your most likely to have to use your weapon in self defense, with the tool your most likely to use gives more meaning to, practice makes perfect. Let your range time be for fun and practice what happens when you depress the trigger. Let your home range be for your accuracy. Most systems are under 150$, everyone has an old android device to capture your accuracy, and run drills. I use Strikeman's app, and cartridge, also use Strong Tools cartridges, usually no more than 30$, their apps are usually free with purchase of the cartridge. I shoot expert marksman with a Springfield 1911 M1A1. Every shot lands inside a 8" plate no matter the distance. 5,10, & 25 yards.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Walther even sent a target with mine showing test firing at 15 meters made with my specific gun with the sights set at the factory... Whom ever made those test shots was awesome as he made groups spaced at .5" or lessat that distance. Not all of them ship with a target but some will.
So some of these pistols come with test targets, but others do not?

Why?

I'm assuming that the OP's pistol did not come with a test target, correct?

·
Registered
PK380, P22Q CA
20 Posts
Mine was off just a smidge at 5 yards, but not enough to worry about. Each pistol shoots in it's unique way, and what sight picture is used at the factory vs what sight picture are you using. Mine was close enough to safely start carrying immediately, but I put a dot on and zeroed it and haven't taken a shot yet. Strong Tools sells a nice laser cartridge, makes it easy especially with Strikeman's app(indoor range), keep your ammunition in the other room. The only pistol I haven't moved to put a dot on is my shield, because it came with tritium sights. My SD40VE I painted the stock white sight dots, green in the rear, orange in the front. Same with my P22QCA, & when I had a PK380, it to was repainted green and orange. Because after an ischemic stroke anything small and white is blurry, anything large and white like a fridge or wall cause dizziness and exacerbates my vertigo. Green and Red dots make everything just right. Hehe sucks getting old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts