Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it. It’s rough and uncomfortable and I’m on the fence about returning/selling it for an optics ready VP9 with pedal mag release and call it a day.
Otherwise it’s good so I don’t want to give up quite yet and see if anyone knows if there is a way to smoothen the rubber stippling or cover it up with anything but these silly sandpaper grips some companies sell. For reference, my main handguns are a P99 and a PPS version 1.

· Registered
61 Posts
I love the grip texture when I'm holding the gun but hate it when carrying IWB. I find that if I wear an undershirt under my shirt it gets rid of the irritation from the on your skin. You could try a Hogue handall rubber grip sleeve. They are pretty cheap, about $12.99.

· Registered
315 Posts
I hate it. It’s rough and uncomfortable and I’m on the fence about returning/selling it for an optics ready VP9 with pedal mag release and call it a day.
Otherwise it’s good so I don’t want to give up quite yet and see if anyone knows if there is a way to smoothen the rubber stippling or cover it up with anything but these silly sandpaper grips some companies sell. For reference, my main handguns are a P99 and a PPS version 1.
Same, it's way too aggressive for me. I started buying PPQ's AFTER the PDP came out, I know the majority on this forum prefer the PDP but other than the optics cut everything else is a step back IMO. Talon makes grip covers for the PDP's PDP Full Size

· Registered
7,530 Posts
I had a similar issue with the grip of an H&K P30 ruining inside shirts and rubbing skin raw with its grip texture. A few slight scrapes with sandpaper on the offhand section of the grip helped. This was common back then with people who owned P30 pistols.

· Registered
21 Posts
There is a lot to be said for replaceable grips on a pistol. OP, you could sand the peaks of the pyramids off a bit to take off the roughness. Similar to sanding G10 grips. However, that could make the pistol look like it had a bad stipple job. I take that back. Sell the pistol and buy yourself the VP9. I have both, the PDP and VP9 OR. I like both but give the edge to the PDP because of those ergonomic grips which some people hate. The VP9 definitely has a smoother grip for those persons with soft hands but it will cost you more money.

· Registered
359 Posts
I really like the grip texture of my 4.5” FS PDP. I have large hands but some arthritis in my fingers so I find the aggressive grip very useful. As for carrying it, this pistol is large enough that I wouldn’t even consider it, so that’s not an issue for me.

For a carry gun, I’d want something the size of a Sig 365….or a PPK/S.

Reactions: Hunter308

· Registered
359 Posts
Hey Walther, why not make a polymer pistol with removable grips and not just the back plate. I'm talking about the complete grip being removable and not just side plates and back straps like the VP9.
Does anyone make a polymer pistol with removable grips? Maybe there’s just no demand for one?

· Registered
359 Posts
Same, it's way too aggressive for me. I started buying PPQ's AFTER the PDP came out, I know the majority on this forum prefer the PDP but other than the optics cut everything else is a step back IMO. Talon makes grip covers for the PDP's PDP Full Size
Ronnie, you seem to enjoy bashing the PDP. 😳

I agree that the PPQ slide is sleeker, and the PDP’s is more, well, “Teutonic” but some of that is a requirement to accommodate an optic. In just about every on-line review I’ve read of the PDP the aggressive grip texture is well liked.

As for a “step back“, don't you consider the other changes as improvements?

Stepped chamber to improve accuracy
Improved trigger with shorter travel and improved break
Improved slide lock lever
Longer grip - 18 rounds
Heavier slide to better control muzzle flip.

· Registered
21 Posts
Is Talon not liked around here? Just curious if there's something I don't know. I have their new hybrid texture on almost all my pistols.
Besides looking like cheesy [email protected], perfect for a Glock though. Had one on my G23 but that did not help because Glocks give me "Glock Finger" and "Glock Knuckle". I sold a G23 and G30 because of those problems. Talon adds girth to the grip and that might just make it that much harder to rest the finger properly on the trigger.

· Registered
359 Posts
The HK P30 and VP9 do. Remove the backstrap and then slide out the side panel to the rear.
Yes, I've fired a VP9 and I like it, but the OP said "I'm talking about the complete grip being removable and not just side plates and back straps like the VP9

· Registered
315 Posts
Besides looking like cheesy [email protected], perfect for a Glock though. Had one on my G23 but that did not help because Glocks give me "Glock Finger" and "Glock Knuckle". I sold a G23 and G30 because of those problems. Talon adds girth to the grip and that might just make it that much harder to rest the finger properly on the trigger.
I agree about their previous iterations but the new Hybrid style looks great.

· Registered
315 Posts
Ronnie, you seem to enjoy bashing the PDP. 😳

I agree that the PPQ slide is sleeker, and the PDP’s is more, well, “Teutonic” but some of that is a requirement to accommodate an optic. In just about every on-line review I’ve read of the PDP the aggressive grip texture is well liked.

As for a “step back“, don't you consider the other changes as improvements?

Stepped chamber to improve accuracy
Improved trigger with shorter travel and improved break
Improved slide lock lever
Longer grip - 18 rounds
Heavier slide to better control muzzle flip.
Yeah, I just plain don't like it tbh. I will say that they had the greatest gun ad ever in gun history for it though, almost made me cry.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts