Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see any on the Walther USA webstore. That's where I'd expect to find one if they were available. They may be too busy building complete pistols right now to bother with spares.

Thanks. I checked there before posting. Will keep an eye out for one. Would like the be able to use a red dot withtout sending my slide out to get milled.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Would like the be able to use a red dot withtout sending my slide out to get milled.
You should also be able to use the slides for the Q4 Tac and Q5 Match. Those have been around long enough to be more common. Have you tried contacting Walther USA about availability? They migh sell you a slide if they know you're interested.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should also be able to use the slides for the Q4 Tac and Q5 Match. Those have been around long enough to be more common. Have you tried contacting Walther USA about availability? They migh sell you a slide if they know you're interested.
I have not called Walther. I just thought of this today. Doing some thinking now, trying to talk myself out of spending the $. But if I'm unsuccessful, I want to be able to pull the trigger. I'm also REALLY thinking about an AR15-22LR upper. Rock river has them for a pretty penny. Probably would have more fun with the upper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my 4.5” upper from Earls for my P99 He has the 4” and 4.5”. He does not plan to get the 5” upper anytime soon.
Good to know, thanks. I just tried my red dot again after years and I remembered why I don't use it. I don't see a dot, I see a starburst comma since I have astigmatism. My idea of getting the slide so I could put a red dot on it, just went up in smoke.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Everyone’s astigmatism works differently. You may want to try different red dot sights. Some found green dot works well, some found chevron or delta or triangle shaped dot works well, or try Holosun’s circle dot reticle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I called Walther and asked them when they would have modular parts available for their PDP….since they advertised it as a “modular” piece.

Representative said the parts will be sold as “kits”…

Complete slide with striker, sights, slide, barrel and anything else needed to convert say a 4 inch Full Size to A 5 inch Full Size.

They have been told to expect the kits some time after the new year…1st quarter of 2022.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I called Walther and asked them when they would have modular parts available for their PDP….since they advertised it as a “modular” piece.

Representative said the parts will be sold as “kits”…

Complete slide with striker, sights, slide, barrel and anything else needed to convert say a 4 inch Full Size to A 5 inch Full Size.

They have been told to expect the kits some time after the new year…1st quarter of 2022.
They estimate a price?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I asked…the rep laughed and said no clue…but it will be definitely cheaper than trying to buy individual parts here and there he said. He said Walther was also worried about 3rd party vendors, quality and warranty issues.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I asked…the rep laughed and said no clue…but it will be definitely cheaper than trying to buy individual parts here and there he said. He said Walther was also worried about 3rd party vendors, quality and warranty issues.
I bought my complete 4.5" upper from Earl's for $485. The 4" is the same price. If Walther USA can beat that price I guess it's not a bad idea to wait.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My bet is around half the actual gun price but who knows…

I’m thinking less than $300 a “kit”…

Go much higher than that and you start to really limit any idea of “modularity” for the gun.

At least in my mind.

Sig keeps their modular kits a little over $200 for their P320.

We shall see….

·
Super Moderator
2,494 Posts
My bet is around half the actual gun price but who knows…

I’m thinking around $300 a “kit”…

Go much higher than that and you start to really limit any idea of “modularity” for the gun.

At least in my mind.
A problem with the concept is I think most of the actual production and materials cost is in the "upper".

That's my guess anyway.

The barrel and slide are where most of the steel and machining are.

Based on that, I think it's going to be hard for Walther to profitably sell the "kits" for the prices many consumers would want.

I hope on wrong in this but that's my take on it.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I think it's going to be hard for Walther to profitably sell the "kits" for the prices many consumers would want.
I think you're right. The centerfire conversion kits that I've seen from Sig and Magnum Research were almost the cost of a full pistol. Only .22 conversions have been worth it for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,494 Posts
I think you're right. The centerfire conversion kits that I've seen from Sig and Magnum Research were almost the cost of a full pistol. Only .22 conversions have been worth it for me.
I bought a PPQ Q5 Match conversion a while back. It was the same deal there.

This is a case where I think I am right but would like to be wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If it hits the $350 range….

I’d just buy a different gun altogether….

Or buy nothing and be satisfied.

you guys are right…it’s going to be a challenge for Walther.

I have a Sig P320…solid piece and I can see why the military bought into their modularity concept. And I tuned it up and modularized the heck out of it. The firing/trigger mechanism being the “serialized” piece is just brilliant!

But it doesn’t hold a candle to my PDP for great shooting….no matter how much I “modularize“ it LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts