Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
thinking of putting a mini comp on my 4.5 pdp. anyone have any real world experience with them. I am armed security for a large church and the weapon is carried every day as well as in a dimly lit sanctuary on sundays. any advice would be great!!! also discussion of chunk porting vs a mini comp as well for those who have utilized one or both!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think compensators are great for sporting purposes.

I think it's a bit more questionable when we get into personal defense and security use.

I think the biggest consideration is finding a holster to accommodate your compensator. That may be difficult or even require a custom/semi-custom solution.

From a reliability standpoint I think I'd prefer the simplicity of porting over a compensator. The flip side is a comp is going to add extra weight to the muzzle with all the benefits that entails.

Ultimately porting/compensators do have benefits. I'm not sure those benefits are fully realized in a personal defense scenario where carrying is done often and (god willing) shooting is done seldom or never.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I wouldn't carry a ported or compensated pistol. There are trade-offs with both.

Porting redirects gas upwards. There have also been reports of jacket material being shaved as the bullet passes the ports shooting "corkscrews" upwards and embedding them in people's baseball caps when shooting. Depending on how close you are to the person you are trying to shoot, your eyes can be directly above those ports.

Compensators add weight to the front of the barrel. Adding weight to a part of the pistol that both reciprocates and tilts, will have a negative effect on reliability given that the original slide, barrel, and springs were the designed with the optimal balance of weight and spring pressure for reliability. Compensators also direct gas upwards, though it is usually not as concentrated as when it comes out of a port, and I've never heard of a comp shaving jacket material from a passing bullet.

I've shot ported and compensated pistols in the past, and they do make a difference, but I'm not not willing to put up with the drawbacks. I put reliability and safety higher up in importance than the "slight" difference in ease of shooting follow up shots. There's a reason why most agencies don't carry these pistols.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Porting and compensators are great for firearms used in competition shooting, those used during big bore rifle hunting, etc., but IMHO, they're not for self defense use. The added length and weight of a compensator on a carry pistol can negatively effect both everyday activity comfort and concealability, and I sure wouldn't want to be the recipient of a stream of hot🔥combusting gasses, burnt/burning powder & lead residue, and report that was generated from my own firearm if I was one day forced to discharge it in close proximity to my head or body, i.e., during a struggle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW, I have the monsoon tactical chunk port on my PDP 4.5. The brass shaving is dependent on certain types of ammo, bad jackets will shave MAYBE, and the boxes will tell you so (Internet search will show it was a certain manufacturer and very isolated). I load my own 124 and 147 JHP's from everglades ammo and no problems. As for the powder and fire flying out the top, I have not experienced that nor has it had any impact on shooting from any position. It does allow for very quick follow up shots, especially if you have a red dot.

Comps and ported barrels are nothing new. As always, train with your weapon a lot and see how it works. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
As for the powder and fire flying out the top, I have not experienced that nor has it had any impact on shooting from any position.
My main concern would be shooting from a retention position. It happens often enough for people to train in these positions. I will not be wearing eye protection if I ever need to use my pistol. Jacket material is not guaranteed, but it is possible. Hot gasses are guaranteed, and that is probably the last place and time that I want to risk my vision. As always, everyone will have to weigh the pros and cons and make their own decisions here. I'm just explaining my views on this topic. There's a reason why the vast majority of agencies do not issue these pistols.

Clothing Sky Jeans Arm Cap

Cap Baseball cap Hat Recreation Gun barrel

Clothing Mammal Gesture Eyewear Grass

Plant Cap Sleeve Baseball cap Cool

Camouflage Ballistic vest Military camouflage Cargo pants Glove

Sleeve Tartan Grass Plaid Pattern

Plant Shorts Air gun Shotgun Baseball cap

·
Registered
112 Posts
stick bow mafia,

A couple of other options to porting and comps are a dual recoil spring system like those made by DPM or Sprinco. They make recoil more manageable by reducing the frame to slide impact at the end of the recoil cycle.

The other option is changing your carry ammo. I don’t know what you’re using now but the Hornady Critical duty loads meet the FBI penetration tests and have milder recoil than most other rounds. It comes in 135 gr. +P or standard pressure.

Good luck with your search and thanks for watching over the flock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks much appreciated!! I looked into the recoil springs when I started this quest for answers and not hearing a lot of positive reviews. some of the you tube experts lol don't have much good to say,

that they can't tell much difference at all. Not getting much in the way of real world concrete experience other than from a few you tubers and of course the companies selling the products. some report as much as 30% less recoil and obviously much faster repeat shot acquisition. I appreciate everyone's input and will do a lot more research before I make a decision one way or the other. I am going to put a brass palm swell on and the tlr 1 should help too. thanks for your input!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts