Walther Forums banner

PDP broken striker

19K views 77 replies 25 participants last post by  Nova231 
#1 ·
Finally got 500 rounds of 9mm and upon getting to the range found out my striker had broken sometime in between me zeroing the gun a month ago and my dry fire practice up until this point. I've potentially been carrying around a dead gun for up to a month. Check your strikers boys. Come Monday I'm calling Walther, getting a new striker and then dumping this POS, Should've bought a Glock from the start.

See less See more
#60 ·
Since this is such a funny thread I ask that you please forgive me as I laugh and comment on the OP's determination that the Walther PDP is a POS and how quickly he maneuvered to the Glock.

I've never seen a more odd bunch of folks than the Glock fanbois, especially the new Glock owners; they're the ones you see showing up at the range with their girlfriend, holding their Glock pistol packed safely away in it's factory case and a fresh pair of safety glasses, looking to rent a lane and buy the cheapest box of 50 and one whole target. Whether on purpose or not, many of these Glock aficionados remain blissfully unaware of Glock's history of failures; they instead back up their love for these pistols based on the numbers used by LE (well duh - most Police departments are on tight budgets and Glock practically gives their pistols away to LE), and are also quick to note the many aftermarket products available which gives them the ability to change their Glock pistol into their own idea of what a Glock pistol should be, e.g., they "build" (aka, "assemble") the "Gucci" Glocks, adorned with TiN golfball milled barrels, slides with windows machined out of them, laser engraved frames, finger groove deletions, large compensators, etc. My question is...if they're so great to begin with, why do they need hundreds if not more dollars worth of "enhancements"?

It took me many years to even try a Glock pistol, then by virtue of opportunity after opportunity to purchase them at bargain prices I ended up owning 13 different model Glock pistols at the same time. I suppose I had hopes of becoming all "Glockish", but in the end I found them to have the absolute worst ergonomics of any pistol manufactured. In the end I was faced with a choice...do I, 1) hang onto these pistols because all the fanbois say that they're the greatest, or 2) use my own experiences to steer me towards something else? It was #2. Thusfar I've sold/traded off 9 of the 13...4 to go! And I think I know what I'll do with the $$ recouped from the sales of those remaining POS, I mean Glocks...buy more mags for my Walther PDP ;)

(LOL)

#63 ·
I quite enjoy the Glock ergonomics, the PDP was nice but I found the grip angle on the Glock to personally be more appealing. To say I'm a Glock fanboi is disingenuous considering this will be the first Glock I have owned. Previous carry guns included the VP9, FN 509 tac, and LTT Elite 92 G. All of which I traded or sold for various reasons I found them unappealing. Good luck finding fullsize PDP mags, and if you do, enjoy paying a premium for a Walther branded Mec-Gar OEM mag with a different floorplate.( These mags go for $26-$30 ish dollars and Walther wants $50, no thanks.)

#64 ·
After looking at my striker more and comparing it with the previous issues the Canik Tp9 strikers had (which where built to the technical data package that Walther sent them from what I've been told) it exhibits the same symptoms of a striker that has been heat treated to a hardness that exceeded the spec. You can see this in the cracked and somewhat flaky surface of the metal.

Attachments

#69 ·
Had an HK, wasn't fond of a company that took 5 years to redesign a magazine follower so the pistol could accommodate the original 17 rounds it should've had in the first place, especially when compared side by side to 17 round mags whose dimensions were smaller than the vp9 mags.

#71 ·
I have a PDP with less than 2,000 rounds on it and the exact same thing happened to my striker as did the OP. I called Walther to ask for a new striker assembly to be shipped to me and they wouldn’t do it. Would you believe they are requiring me to send in my whole damn gun to do what is a 30 second job. They are paying for FedEx shipping both ways when they could send me a new assembly via USPS for virtually nothing. This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. I do like the gun but will likely change platforms for USPSA over this nonsense.

#72 ·
They probably want to have the gun in hand to inspect that there's not more going on, inspect the broken part, and diagnose what happened in order to prevent it in the future by redesigning a part or changing material.

I've had warranty work done on my vehicles before due to faulty parts. Not once did the manufacturer send the parts directly to my house for me to install...and I certainly didn't think it nonsense and vow off the brand because of it.

#77 ·
I wholeheartedly agree. I just felt (in my case) it was causing a bit of a hassle for the customer to send in the whole gun instead of just shipping me the broken part. If it were a difficult fix I could understand, but even I can replace a striker assembly lol. Anyway, I have sent the gun in as they requested so we will see how long it takes. I was upset when I made my original post because I felt the process was silly, but staying mad about it isn’t helping anything. I’ve had several Walther pistols over the years and always had a good experience. It is what it is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.